1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You're favorite album that no one knows about

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

I am sure that some of yall have heard of these, but I for those who haven't. . .

Robert Randolph and The Family Band--live at the Wetlands
    Guster--parachute
    Blackalicious--blazing arrow
    The Big Wu

2. EddieGriffin

EddieGriffin Member

Secret Agent 8 - Start. Action. Stop :D

Sister Hazel - Fortress

Liquid Soul - Make Some Noise

3. dimsie

dimsie Member

You're not alone with that one, Batman. That's the first dB's album I got. Stands for Decibels is great too.

My latest is a NZ band called the Brunettes who sound like a Kiwi Nancy and Lee.

And for years I've loved Bonnie Raitt's second album, Give it Up. Most of her early catalogue seems to languish in obscurity but she was really great way back when.

4. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

You have great taste Michael :) Personally, I like Guster's "Goldfly" better, but all 3 albums are great.

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Sly Stone - Small Talk

For some reason this album has been out of print for a long time (never even out on cd, except for import), and I hope it stays that way. It is my favorite Sly album, and possibly my all around favorite album. Pure genius.

[​IMG]

#25 MR. MEOWGI, Jan 13, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2003
  6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Carl Hayn and the Holdouts - "Concrete Dreams"

Why?

'Cause I play on it!:D

Seriously, other ones are...

Rockpile - "Seconds of Pleasure"
    Dave Edmunds - "Repeat When Necessary"

7. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Great talent that ruined a great band. Has he stayed clean? It was sad, I saw the Arc Angels in Houston at Rock West and then a week or so later when I was back in Austin I caught the very last one. It was interesting how f-ed up he was at the Houston one but in Austin he was straight (b/c his father was there).

I saw him a few times not too long after that solo and he was still fighting the demons.

Other than that I would have to say[​IMG]

Mmm Bop is the ****!

#27 TheHorns, Jan 13, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2003
  8. codell

codell Contributing Member

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

10. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deconstruction - Deconstruction - This was a one-off side project by Eric Avery and Dave Navarro right after Jane's Addiction imploded. Lots of abrupt time changes and the typical Navarro guitar choirs.It's somewhat dated and Avery's vocals are at best monotone, but it really shows how much of Jane's success resulted from the musical interplay between Avery and Navarro.

Girl + - Boss Hogg - Garage rock before it was trendy. This is one of Jon Spencer (of the Blues Explosion) side bands with his wife Cristina Martinez (super hottie). This band can get old fast, which is why I like this EP best. It gets to the point, kicks ass and is done before it repeats itself.

Modulator EP - Modulator - A great local band that has been consistently ignored by the local press. Think Cardigans meet Astrud Gilberto. I had the pleasure of subbing on guitar with them once and can confirm that they're one of the tightest bands on the scene. Go to their website (http://www.modulator.org).

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Bonus points if two people in this thread own one of the albums mentioned...

My most obscure CD is probably "Ponderous" by 2Nu. It's an album of mostly storytelling. About half of most of the songs are the lead guy talking, and a couple of tracks are all talking. The title track got a little air play on KRBE back in the early 90's...

"I had this dream the other night....I went to work one day, and nobody remembered who I was......So, I decided to take the day off..."

I found that CD in the used CD bin at a music store one day....No way in hell I could ever find that bad boy again. I'll have to give it another listen when I get home today.

12. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

BOLA SETE: OCEAN
    [​IMG]
    Brazilian guitarist & composer.
    Born in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil on July 16, 1923.
    Died in Greenbrae, California, USA on February 14, 1987.

Bola Sete's name means "ball no. 7". In Brazilian billiard, ball no.7 is the only black ball on the table, and Bola got this nickname when he was the only black member of a small jazz group. He studied guitar at the Conservatory of Rio and he started performing with his own sextet while he was still a student. His early infuences were guitarists Django Reinhardt, Charlie Christian & Oscar Moore (of the Nat Cole Trio), while he was also captured by the sound of the big bands that were touring South America at that time (Dizzy Gillespie, Tommy Dorsey, Woody Herman). His career started in Italy, where he played in various clubs & hotels for 4 years (1952-1956). Then, he returned to Brazil and started touring all of South America. That's when the manager of the Sheraton hotels noticed him and decided to bring him in the US to play in the hotels (1962). He played for a while in New York's Park Sheraton, and later he moved in San Francisco to play in the Sheraton Palace. Dizzy Gillespie was staying there at the time, so he was listening to Bola Sete playing every day. When Dizzy decided to bring his pianist (Lalo Schifrin!) to the hotel, he discovered that Lalo & Bola had already met & played together in Argentina. That's how Dizzy met Bola, and this meeting was the beginning for Bola's success in the US. In the fall of 1962, Dizzy took the talented guitarist to the Ninth Annual Monterey Jazz Festival, where he enjoyed a huge success. After that, he toured for a while with Gillespie and finally he returned to San Francisco where he joined Vince Guaraldi's trio. Bola Sete was already well-known in the US, and his partnership with Vince was another huge success for both of them. After staying for a couple of years with Guaraldi, Bola Sete formed his own trio with his fellow Brazilians Sebastian Neto (bass) and Paulinho (drums). With his own trio, he appeared once more in Monterey (1966) with equal success.

Today, this soulful figure of the Brazilian guitar seems to be completely forgotten. As far as I know, none of his recordings is available on CD (except his 13 min "Orpheus suite" that is available as a bonus track in the "Orfeo Negro" soundtrack). Yet, by listening to his most important (early) recordings, one will be captivated by his playing. They used to call him a "true entertainer", and that's exactly what he was. Although he had solo recordings too, he has always touched better the jazz audiences than the classical guitar fans.

13. jwun

jwun Member

Common- Electric Circus

[​IMG]

DJ Jazzy Jeff- The Magnificent

[​IMG]

These are my two favorites from last year....not completely unknown but because they went so far beyond what is considered hiphop....No one really gave a crap.....I think they are better albums than any hiphop up for a grammy. Sorry Em.

My favorite unknown though goes to Kelis- Wanderland.
    Released in Europe only, never made it to the states (I was in London when she was there promoting, got to meet her for a sec, she signed my record. The media kept talking about her growing up in Harlem...and she wanted to talk about her album :mad: )....nice Neptunes production.

[​IMG]

14. Buck Turgidson

Todd Snider - Happy to be Here
    Old & In the Way - That High Lonesome Sound; Jerry Garcia, Dave Grisman, Pete Rowan & Vassar Clemens live from a bluegrass festival in the early '70's.

15. Vengeance

I don't own it -- never heard of them, but I looked them up on the net and found <a href="http://www.2nu2.com/">they maintain a site</a>. Seems to be a little following too -- I think I'll pick up the CD sometime. Thanks for the recommend A-Train!

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

band: Blonde Redhead
    album: La Mia Vita Violenta
    [​IMG]

17. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

Thanks Apparently, you do too.

I agree... I had a really tough time choosing my favorite between goldfly and parachute, but I went with the more obscure given the thread title. I really wasn't a huge fan of Lost and Gone Forever at first, but it did grow on me with time. I think that Lilywhite kinda messed with their sound a little too much and made it a little too pop-ish. They are coming out with a new CD really soon, hopefully it will be more like the old days.

18. Vengeance

Lost and Gone Forever was my first Guster CD -- did a GREAT job of getting me into the band. Every song on there is a hit-type song (short, "peppy", memorable, sing-along-able). Now that I've heard all of the albums, I still love LAGF but it's not my favorite. I actually really didn't like Parachute or Goldfly when I first heard them, but now I love them. Of all the stuff I've heard from the new CD, it sounds great!!

AOL IM me sometime -- Screen name is in the profile.

19. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

By the way, did anyone notice that this thread title is "You ARE favorite album that no one knows about"

Oh, am I? :)

20. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I have a perpetual Rockpile chubby. Brilliant album. And my Dad has fed the guys in the band a half-dozen times.

Would have killed to see them open for Blondie, back in the day.

I bartended at a Moe show with a black shirt and skinny red tie a few weeks ago, and I guy actually said I "looked like that rockabilly guy..."

"Dave Edmunds?"

"Yeah, him. What an *******."

Dunno how he knew Dave was an *******, but I appreciated the compliment.