1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your thoughts if any on Kenny Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeson332, Feb 11, 2015.

1. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

If you watched an earlier segment, he also said that we were worse than the Lakers defensively but made up for it with our offense. The guy is an idiot.

2. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Kenny's alright. He's less negative, but also tends to speak with less conviction than Shaq and Barkley. That might be why you feel like he doesn't fully sticks up for the Rockets.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Kenny is just as dumb as the other 2, he looked just as stupid talking about analytics

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Use of Money Ball stats to devise offensive schemes is absolutely black and white. It is not proven to help. It's main usefulness is draft analysis, player acquisition studies and potentially scouting opponent tendencies, but it's usefulness for seeing patterns in actual NBA tendencies will be several games, if not months, behind the speed at which a great Opponent Scouting team can do and what a Coach can do.

Analytics largely replaces miles of video analysis, and it allows people to carve new jobs in the NBA world, for the purpose of filtering through huge amounts of data/video. It can point you to which videos to study. It's probably is cheaper to use than hire a traditional scouting team.

But it is not replacing traditional scouting.

Complete overstatement. Yes, Spurs assigned a previous scout to be a Director of Analytics, but his main role is not to help Pop with schemes...it's to provide info about Drafts and player acquisition.

Just because teams hire analytics personnel along with traditional scouting personal doesn't mean the new analytics staff gets the ear of the Coach moreso than his scouts.

You don't seriously think Pops shapes his offensive scheme around analytics anymore than JVG and Adelman did, do you?

5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Kenny Smith hit that 3 point shot to send Game 1 1995 Finals vs Magic into Overtime.

He is Houston basketball royalty.

He can do no wrong.

/Thread.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Barkley really didn't talk bad about the Rockets. All he did was respond to Morey and speak ignorantly about analytics.

Rockets fans are far too sensitive. Most people don't believe in Dwight and thus don't believe in the Rockets as true contenders now or probably ever with Dwight. Same goes for using analytics and needing to somewhat disregard high point totals. Barkley falls into both groups. He isn't unique and he shouldn't hold that opinion just because he played a few years in Houston.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I meant the way in which one uses stats need not be black and white, which I think is a rather obvious point. Stats have their uses. One can argue to what degree, but the point is that one doesn't have to be in the "Stats are useless" camp or the "Stats tell me all I need to know" camp. That seems to be how Barkley sees things, which is ridiculous.

I fully agree that it should not replace traditional scouting.

I said the Spurs have incorporated analytics into their program, which again I think is an uncontroversial statement, not an overstatement.

So far as using stats to influence schemes, remember this thread?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=235863

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Fantastic job of quoting and then managing to not respond to the statements you quoted.

Well done, sir.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I feel like they are all being careful with Charles because they don't want to outright call him out on air. Imagine having a colleague call another analyst an idiot right on the air. TNT loses all of its credibility. They have to let Charles be an idiot.

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

You're joking right

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Tinman... tinman is that you?

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Tinman got mad at me because I insulted the name "clutch city"
    Clutch City has been insulting you for years now man lol

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For those who hate Kenny and those who criticize Kenny for the NBA Finals (Oh by the way we won)

Eat it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HzFPAbPPUPs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I'll always defend Clutch City, especially Kenny Smith

you have awaken me

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fzv5SVtaguA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Never hate on Clutch City
    Never hate on Kenny Smith

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fzv5SVtaguA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wasn't my participation in that thread mainly about disagreeing with a journalist uses DReb% to make a sweeping conclusion about how to play defense. Isn't that also your point here...don't misuse or overuse stats.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Kenny walks funny
    Kenny does not defend the Rockets sufficiently

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

WTF is this crap. Morey only responded to Charles hateful rant on the Rockets during halftime when Charles was saying "the Rockets are awful defensively, the worst defensive team in the NBA" and "Rockets might not even make the playoffs". You must've missed that.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Regardless of your point, the article quotes R.C. Buford describing how analytics played a role in Popovich's defensive schemes.