1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your teams preferred results?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CoolGuy, Jul 24, 2013.

1. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

What 10 year stretch of results for your favorite sports team would you prefer?

Being competitive the whole time (Playoffs) but never winning a championship

or

Being competitive for maybe 2 years with one championship ring and being below .500 the other 8 years.

Edit: damn meant to include a poll....oh well

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I want a championship because I like to party.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Championship and Maurley would never let us be below .500 for 8 straight years.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

A Championship. This isn't Utah.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

6. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Championship or go home.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

For this to be a real head scratcher, I think it has to be more extreme like one championship and 9 years of being the absolute worst team in the league. Like Astros these past two years but for NINE years. I don't know, championships are awesome but NINE years of my life following the team that is the butt of all jokes?

8. liljojo

liljojo Member

Championships can hold over sports fans for 20+ years.

Gimme the ring.

9. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Easy, gimme that championship!

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

championship.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'll be the contrarian.

I watch sports for the entertainment value, but there is no entertainment value in a loser. Eventually only one team of 30 is going to be a winner anyway so I want to be entertained by being competitive over the course of the whole season, every year.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In other words, Marlins fan from 1997 - 2006 or Astros fan from 1997 - 2006.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

When your team is competitive but can't get over the hump, there's that doomed feeling that maybe you've peaked.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Championship

15. Poloshirtbandit

Depends on the sport. For football, I'll take 9 years of Texans suck for 1 Super Bowl win. For any other sport, I'll take a consistently good but not great team i.e. the Astros up until the past few years.

Reason being basketball and baseball seasons are considerably longer and I have a hard time watching either of those sports without having an interest in whatever team is playing. Football I can pretty much watch regardless of who is playing.

16. Major

Major Member

Excellent example - I'd be surprised if you used this specifically instead of the generic idea, to see many people chose the Marlins.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except we are talking about knowing ahead of time that your team will or will not win a championship in that time span. The Stros during that stretch frequently had the possibility of winning the championship but wasn't able to do it but at the time we didn't know that. How much fun is it if every year you knew your team while competitive wasn't going to win it all?

I would rather take the possibility that this year my team could win it all, with the risk that they more likely will suck, than that they will do well while knowing they will fall short in the playoffs.

18. Major

Major Member

I don't think it's about knowing in advance - what's the fun of already knowing your team will win a championship next year? If you know the results beforehand, it seems to take ALL the excitement out of sports.

I assumed the question was looking back, which would you have preferred as the results of your team.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I would rather see competitive games for 10 years. I am going to watch the rockets, astros, texans regardless. I can't just tune them out like most sports fans do when a team is bad.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would still enjoy the season even if I knew for sure that my team was going to win the championship. Heck I still cheer rewatching highlights from the 1995 Rockets' playoff run. Anyway I was reading the question as if you knew that for ten years your team would be competitive but never win the championship versus ten years crappy but at lest two of those years they win, not knowing which two years they win. Maybe I read more into the question than was there.