1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Rockets Based Big Board

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Sticking to players I think have a chance (even a small one) to be there at the picks, my personal rankings of who I'd like at each pick.

1. Chet Holmgren
    2. Paolo Banchero
    3. Jabari Smith

1. Ousmane Dieng
    2. Jeremy Sochan
    3. Mark Williams
    4. Tari Eason
    5. Ochai Agjabi
    6. Dalen Terry
    7. Tyty Washington
    8. Jalen Williams

1. Dalen Terry
    2. Walker Kessler
    3. Marjon Beauchamp
    4. Nikola Jovic
    5. Wendell Moore
    6. Christian Koloko
    7. Jaden Hardy

Pretty certain we're getting Paolo at 3 and I'm more than ok with that. I don't actually think Dieng or Sochan will be there at 17 but they are the dream guys. Williams likely gone too but I'd love him in our lineups, if we could trade 17 + 26 for say 14 I'd be hard looking at Williams unless Sochan or Dieng was there. Tari Eason is probably my most realistic hopeful pick to fall to 17, no idea if he will.

I love Dalen Terry. I think he could be like a taller and lengthier Jae'Sean Tate with a 3 point shot, which is the type of player I find incredibly valuable in this league. He'd be really switchable and would still have some gravity because he'll probably be able to hit 3's at least at the league average if not above it a bit, and I'm certain he'd be able to get lots of open 3's in line-ups where Green and Paolo (and even Sengun and KPJ to an extent) are creating a lot of gravity. He also plays super hard (like Tate, hence the comparison) which is great for the team tempo and attitude. The type of glue guy I'd want our team to have, I think those guys are more important than most people give credit for and that's what I'm targeting outside of the lottery more than some scorer who can't do anything else or someone super raw who *may* hit or may not. If we could get Terry at 26 I'd be bouncing off the walls but I doubt it happens. I'm more than happy with him at 17.

I really want a rim protector and if you can get that from one of these later pick guys you can end up in a situation like Boston where they have Robert Williams being super valuable, but on a budget contract for the next four years. I want the versatility available because while I think Sengun is good enough to be the usual starting C, we'll play line-ups where the rim protector is more needed. Mark Williams is probably better than that plus we know how he plays with Paolo already. I project Walker Kessler as a guy who probably only averages like 10-20 minutes a game most his career, but I think that could be a valuable 10-20 mins. Like there'll be games where we can barely play him with the match-up, which is fine, when Sengun is off the floor we can go smaller with Paolo at the 5 or hopefully Garuba, but there'll be others where he's super useful as a shot blocker. Koloko has some potential here too but I don't love how he looked in the tourney and he seems raw. Chet is number 1 on my board because he brings the rim protection and so much more

Beauchamp is a guy where if his 3 point shot was more reliable he'd be way higher on my board. A lot of what Terry brings while being able to score a bit more, I just don't know how useful he'll be if he doesn't get his 3 pointer down. If he does, then he could be a fantastic 3 and D wing. Wendell Moore is another guy that I think is underrated, he has some issues but the potential is also there to be a great 3 and D guy. I really value those types of guys if you can't tell, plus we should be hardcore focusing on defense and getting as many switchable guys as we can, specially if we are getting Paolo.

2. xaos

xaos Member

Only watched a few college games so not looking for some highly detailed debate:

Jabari Smith
    Ivey
    Banchero
    *Chet
    Murray

*only putting Chet this high because the members/scouts I respect the most are super high on him.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I like Dalen Terry and think that he is a sleeper, but I don't consider him a point guard.

Jalen Williams is a solid prospect, but I personally like Ty Ty Washington better as a point guard.

alethios and CriscoKidd like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

#3 Paolo Banchero
    #17+#26 (trade up) Tari Eason

don grahamleone and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No. I'm being told Banchero is our new small forward.
    Those saying this are trying to calm Sengun fans by saying
    they can both coexist because it's position-less basketball.

Well if that's the case then I'm moving Sengun to Small Forward and drafting
    quicker faster mobile PF/C's to go with Sengun at SF.

Members here keep telling me it's BPA...

Jabari and Chet are considered as BPA in most mocks....but strangely
    when Ivey is being mocked to go #2 to OKC tecently, people like the national
    media continue to say Banchero is the pick for Houston....uhhh? What happened
    to BPA?

I said two weeks ago the the national media and basketball world in general
    hates the Rockets and strangely want to saddle the Rockets with Banchero
    who overlapped Sengun's game.

Why would they say, Chet goes well with Sengun-Green or Jabari goes
    well with Sengun-Green? Because they do? Quicker faster Jabari
    compliments Sengun slower lack of lateral quickness. Quicker
    faster Chet compliments Sengun slower lack of lateral quickness.
    Oh and yeah and BPA.
    -----------------------------
    My list excludes Banchero because I have the Rockets picking #3....
    and I have Jabari ranked #1 followed by Ivey #2 and Chet #3.

To each their own. National media and Rocket haters aren't forcing me
    to draft Banchero when I have Sengun; which may be better than Banchero
    now and long term. Now if I didn't have Sengun.....then things might be
    different. Now if the Rockets draft Banchero then I fully support him.
    But until then....I ain't no sucker following those who don't like the Rockets
    at all....media members like Bill Simmons.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Holmgren
    Banchero
    Ivey
    Smith
    Mathurin
    Duren
    Murray
    Daniels
    M.Williams
    Branham
    Sochan
    Griffin
    Eason
    J.Williams
    Diabate
    Washington
    Terry
    Procida
    Liddell
    Kessler
    Davis
    Dieng
    Brown
    Wesley
    Moore
    Braun
    LaRavia
    Rollins
    Butler
    Minot

1st round big board for me, with the exception of not ranking Sharpe, not going to rank a player nobody has ever seen play post-high school.

don grahamleone and Spooner like this.
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

My humblest of fearless predictions is that OKC trades out of 2 (Sac or Det) and takes Sharpe then Dieng. Biggest reason is they want to extend their process (sic) out even further.

Assuming my astuteness is rewarded in reality, how might this affect the Rox’ Board going forward? Still get PB and have someone like Sochan or Eason fall to 17?

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. Spooner

Spooner Member

The fit with Banchero and Green/to a lesser extent KPJ can be very good. I’m very high on Sengun but this early in the rebuild with this high of a pick, the only fit I’m concerned about is Green and they fit like a glove offensively. If you think Ivey is the second best prospect because of his first step, that’s your call just keep in mind he has a lot of holes in his game and you are the one bringing up fit.

Neither Green or Ivey are natural playmakers. Who is the point guard going forward? KPJ becomes redundant unless you really want to trot him out with two other high usage scoring guards. I can only imagine the iso ball and lack of passing. Ivey is a terrible fit and most people can see that for what it is. If you are ok with all of that in terms of fit, keep in mind that Ivey shot 9% from 10-15 feet out (you read that right) before comparing him to DWade or Westbrook. I’m not even sold he’s the 4th best player in the draft. To each their own. The irony is that you are concerned with fit regarding Sengun when the player you are advocating for clearly doesn’t fit next to the one player we should be building around in Green. Not to mention the problems it would cause with the current roster compared to Banchero simply slotting in at the 4.

#29 Spooner, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    don grahamleone likes this.
  10. Milos

Milos Member

I am way higher on Banchero than Ivey, but otherwise, totally agree

I'd also look real hard at what it takes to move up high enough (#7?) to grab Dyson Daniels
    Ideal long-term partner for Green in backcourt and KPJ insurance for the next (last) awol episode
    Multiple FFRPs or swaps in play for him if necessary

I'd add Lidell and Beauchamp to the 3&D forwards you listed in play at #17

#26 additions:
    Keels
    Terry
    Kessler
    Kamagate

#30 Milos, Jun 17, 2022
    Aruba77 and Spooner like this.
  11. alethios

alethios Member

I can see selecting TyTy at 17 if Eason is gone and I could tell by a previous post that you liked him too. I believe he is a better PG option over Nix.

12. Spooner

Spooner Member

Daniels/Green is a great fit. Makes much more sense than Green and Ivey. Great post. I like Beauchamp depending on where we take him and Lidell can grow into becoming great role player despite his age and weaknesses.

Aruba77 and Milos like this.
  13. j@amc

j@amc Member

Smith
    Banchero
    Holmgren

Dieng (I know he's in the green room, but the NBA didn't want only 1 player with international exp. in that space)
    Tari Eason
    Jalen Williams
    Nikola Jovic

M. Beauchamp
    Dalen Terry
    Blake Wesley (?)

Trade-up target: Dyson Daniels at #7
    I think our best offer is something like Gordon, #17, Josh Christopher, and the '23 Mil. 1st round pick

D-rock likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's probably correct.... but I don't believe for a second the Rockets take 3 players in the first. They'll definitely attempt a trade up.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would trade Gordon/KPJ/#17/#26/23’bucks pick. Does that get you there? Probably not

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Actually not. Banchero is a mid range monster so isolation/post ups
    conflict with KPj and Green drives unless it's P n Pop......and Banchero was not
    much of a Roll Man in PnR.

Much like I said Embiid/Tobias Harris don't go well with Ben Simmons as Simmons
    needs the paint area to operate. Now Green and KPj shoot better than Simmons.
    So it's not a full time issue; but I also said Embiid/Tobias Harris would not work
    with Harden in the playoffs......and it didn't.

Sengun shot 19% from 3 in Turkish league.
    Shot 24.8% in 21/22
    Shot 40.9% from 3 in the first 20 games [of 21/22]
    Shot 21.1% from 3 in the final 52 games [of 21/22]

-----------------
    Evan Mobley
    Shot 30.0% from 3 in college
    Shot 25.0% from 3 in 21/22

What is your prediction for Banchero? He shot 33.8% from 3 with good spacing
    provided by Wendell Moore 41% and 45%.

Corner 3 are about the same distance.....but Above the Break 3 in the NBA is further!
    Dwayne Wade never improved......DeRozan never improved at 3.....but you know for
    a fact Banchero will?

Sengun not improving and Banchero not improving means two more
    defenders sitting in the paint mucking up things. So no.....not fitting like a glove!
    Not for sure.

Jaden Ivey shot: (3P%)
    Nov 43%
    Dec 47%
    Jan 42%
    Feb 18%
    March 33%

Outside of Feb that's approximately 41.3% from 3 (tabulating monthly averages)

P.S.
    Daniel Theis
    Bos 20/21:.....2.3 (3PA).....34.7% (3P%)
    Hou 21/22: ...3.0 (3PA)......28.1% (3P%)

You can see that a low 3P% at a low volume doesn't mean squat to opposing defenses.

Watch Ivey highlights and look where Ivey is shooting 3's? Well beyond 3-pt range.
    And 5.0 (3PA's)

#36 ApacheWarrior, Jun 17, 2022
    don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  17. j@amc

j@amc Member

I don’t think they want #26. And our front office isn’t trading KPJ.

Portland wants players they can see as immediate rotation players. That’s why I had JC in the trade. Adding Kenyon Martin Jr would give them more. I’m not sure it’s enough. It would a least make another team pay a more ridiculous price for this pick.

don grahamleone and peleincubus like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen. When guys are closely bunched in a tier, fit matters. The media can pump up Banchero’s defense all they want, but I watched the games. He is pedestrian. Basketball is played on both sides of the court.

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Correct, there is no way Banchero is keeping Trae Young, Steph, Fox, Giddey, Booker,
    Jayson Tatum, Jalen Brown, Morant, Jalen Green, SGA, Garland, Sexton, Westbrook,
    and half the league (those who are not PG, SG or SF) in front of him. They will be
    doing fly-bys on a nightly basis.

D-rock likes this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

I appreciate the stats listed.

The item i'm questioning on Paolo is the whole mid-range 'monster'. What minimum efficiency of long range two's, should he be at in the NBA to justify having a green light.

His college is 34.9 and 39,7
    [​IMG]

If the argument is his certain mid-range shots are better, then that also means he's taking other bad mid range shots that's bringing the average down, no?

I'm not anti mid range. It's a thing of beauty when people do it well. Even if you do mid 50% or higher, (which is very very skilled), a layup might still be higher percentage.
    [​IMG]

#40 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 17, 2022
    D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.