1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your reasoning please, why can't NBA give teams the challenge right like NFL?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NothingButNet, Apr 22, 2008.

1. NothingButNet

NothingButNet Member

I'm extremely frustrated, beyond words. Underdogs or not, talented or not, the Rox didn't deserve a loss like this.

Yes you can argue that the Rox loss has no direct connection with that AK flopping call because Rox are not good enough in many aspects to win the game or series.

This brings me a question I've been wondering for a long time. Maybe it's been discussed before, but since my membership level is not high enough, I can't perform the search and find the right thread for my question.

With today's basketball games becoming more and more competitive, human refs' ability is limited to a certain level and should be assisted by the instruments in order for a fair game. A bad call can completely alter the outcome of a game and it's happening more and more frequently. The teams, the players, the fans, even the gamblers don't deserve this. The refs are humans, they make mistakes, they can be forgiven. But it's also human's natural move to change the rules when things become overwhelmingly unsatisfactory in public.

We have seen NFL and ATP/WTA (tennis) introduce the challenge system and it's been working well. So my question is why NBA is not doing that. Just give each team one or two challenges in each game, let the refs decide if they have made the right call by reviewing the video replay.

Why can't NBA do it? Will the challenge system generate more problems? Please provide your valuble intel.

2. Seth

Seth Member

My guess is because they have to hype some players, NBA is more of a business than anything else and they might want to,at times, have control over the outcome of the game.

3. LouisianaRocket

that defeats the purpose of even playing the game then. Isn't also against the law for a pro-sports league to control the outcome of the game? Isn't that part of the fair-agreement deal that allows these Pro-Sports League to operate?

4. NothingButNet

NothingButNet Member

Can more of you share your point of view?

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Yeah, I like this challenge thing.. NBA took a small step 3-4 years ago with the last-second review and I think they definately need to expand via a challenge system

6. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

The problem with the challenge system is that in the NBA a penalty could be called on every single play... whether it is a foul or not is totally subjective

Unless you are talking about just reviewing black and white things like out of bounds, it wont work.

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Yeah, but each team is limited to 1 check per half.. meaning 2 max a game, and one per each overtime.

I dont see how this could go wrong, sure it might slow the pace of the game and make the games a bit longer but if the refs are making the right calls, what problem would the front head of the NBA have?

8. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Because NBA officials were specifically picked and/or genetically engineered to never make mistakes on the court. Stu Jackson and David Stern told me so.

9. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I've been a huge proponent of a challenge system in the NBA for a couple seasons, but I don't think the league will institute such a rule (at least for the next couple of seasons) because it will affect the overall speed of the game. As nice as it would've been to have a challenge for the AK flop from last night, I'd sure hate to see calls reviewed every night since every play could be controversial in the NBA... Not to mention the fact that there really isn't time to call challenges in basketball since there isn't down time between plays like in the NFL. It's a great idea but it would definitely take some tweaking before it is ever instituted.

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I agree 100%, we will never make bad calls.

~Sincerely
    Tim Donaghey

[​IMG]

11. ibm

ibm Member

iirc, the league will discuss challenge of calls this summer?

12. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I've been a huge proponent of a challenge system in the NBA for a couple seasons, but I don't think the league will institute such a rule (at least for the next couple of seasons) because it will affect the overall speed of the game. As nice as it would've been to have a challenge for the AK flop from last night, I'd sure hate to see calls reviewed every night since every controversial call in the NBA is usually a subjective call... Plus, let's not fail to mention the fact that there really isn't time to call challenges in basketball since there isn't down time between plays like in the NFL. It's a great idea but it would definitely take some tweaking before it is ever instituted.

13. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

I think in football with 22 players on the field, with lots of contact, large field space, and 4 reffs it is hard to cover all the calls so they give the teams more of an option to help making the right calls.

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The NFL doesn't review called penalties and I don't think the NBA would either. However, David Stern's crew should begin to review flops after games and have fines and suspensions for repeat offenders.

15. Pringles

Pringles Member

there are lots of downplay after an obivious bad call. you see players talking to the refs, and there you know, you wasted 2 minutes just arguing. the argument just wastes even more time than if we had a challenge system. maybe one challenge per quarter. or somethin to that extent. too many times, have the refs been inconsistant.