1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Opinion on Cecil Cooper?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Jul 22, 2009.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I have never been impressed with Cecil based on his decision making and game management from game to game. He has made some bad moves and, if the reports are true from Justice and Ortiz, he has lost the clubhouse but saying that he has lead this team to 2 games over and right in the middle of the Division and WC races along with a successful 08 season when everyone expected nothing from the club. He has gotten better in most areas with time so I am willing to give him one more season to prove himself. So my question is he the right manager for this team or should we look for a new manager at season's end if the club doesn't make the playoffs?

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am shocked he has a job. The way he talks to the media, the questionable moves he makes, and that line card. However he is winning and that is all that matters.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not a big fan, but apparently it doesn't matter who the manager is. This team continues to struggle early, then get hot. I think the players are succeeding despite Cooper, not because of him.

4. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Agreed, but I dont think we'd hit a cold spell or anything if we were to change managers. I just dont like his attitude at all. He usually sounds like he's been in the league 20 years, has 5 rings, and is a sure hall of famer.....

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Astros may make the playoffs this year (since the the central division is turning out to be weak). That would exceed expectations.

The preseason consensus expectations for the Astros was a team struggling to be a 500 team. The question is whether to credit the players, the coach or both.

FWIW I do not see a clubhouse problem with Cooper, especially since the team has been on a tear since Memorial Day.

I think that it does not really matter who the coach is when the team is rebuilding/reloading since making the playoffs is not a realistic expectation. Teams, like the Cubs which are favored to win their division and have a shot at the World Series, need a great coach.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think he has a bunch of haters

7. No Worries

Remind me who won that game with the line card screwup.

8. rockets934life

It looks to me that players really dislike Coop unlike Garner who really seemed to have the pulse of the team. Justice made an interesting comment on 1560 that got me thinking...he said that the team's dislike has bonded the team togathar and basically doing it for themselves. Either way I think Coop will be here next year unless we collapse in September and it gets ugly.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He definitely makes moves that make you scratch your head. There have been many reports that he's lost the players. I'm not sure I trust that, though. if that were true, where's the lack of hustle? Where's the "I don't give a s***" attitude? This team is playing above their heads, again. That's not to say something won't bring it all crashing down...though they seem to be doing quite well without their best player in the lineup.

Sorry, but I just don't believe a word out of Justice or Ortiz.

If they make the playoffs, expect him back with a long term contract. If not, expect him to be fired.

10. No Worries

Justice is the most unbiased Astros source of all time!!!!

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I think he pretty much sealed his fate with the 90 wins guarantee in spring... basically a "playoffs or bust" proclamation that could become true.

He's on his way out, IMO.

12. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

yawn :rolleyes:

team is doing well

I like Wandy, Pence

Astros not much of a story, I enjoy catching a few games

I like pitching and defense, those teams were my cup of tea

13. rockets934life

What would be funny if the Stros do win 90 games...everyone was laughing at him for saying that and now with a 42-26 record the remainder of the season it will happen. Tough second half schedule but these guys just play so well in the second half!

14. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

the team was not expected to do well this season so why would they fire cooper if the expectations for this team wasn't high in the first place????

if we were predicted to be a sub .500 team - like we have been most of the year - why fire cooper? i wouldn't and dont think cooper should be fired.

we entered the year with roy and wandy for sure in our rotation with the other starters be toss ups. if drayton expected us to run away with a rotation like that then he's crazy.

our offense has been a big letdown this year so if any blame needs to be put i would put it on the players for not producing.

BUT hey we are right behind the cardinals and im glad we're doing well.

Go ASTROS. :D

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

thanks for the commentary. rolling the eyes at the team. not responding to the thread. and talking about how the Astros aren't much of a story when they actually are.

go home. (ok not this, but why post in here?)

16. Buck Turgidson

Can his supporters point to one single thing he does well, or even kinda-sorta well?

Handling a bullpen? Nope
    " rotation? Nope
    " bench? Nope
    " lineup? Nope
    " media? Nope
    " clubhouse? Nope
    " young players? Nope
    Having some sort of thought-out plan & sticking to it for more than 3 games (consistency)? Nope

The "clubhouse rallies together against management" situation has happened before with successful teams, I'm absolutely no fan of RJ's acumen as a journalist, but I wouldn't just dismiss it because of who reported it. I mentioned it here as a possibility a week or so ago...hell, maybe I'm Justice's source? ;)

And leroy, I've seen a whole, whole bunch of completely lackadaisical, uninspired, jakeleg jackassery from this team on many, many occasions this year. They've looked like they were just going through the motions for a large part of the season.

Is it all on Coop? Of course not, but there have been way too many tales told of grumbling amongst the players, and way too many head-scratching decisions/situations (my personal favorite was when he submitted the wrong lineup, and Blum had to go out, explain the situation to a visibly pissed-off Bourn, and calm him down while Coop sat his ass on the bench looking bewildered).

Firing Garner was a bad decision, imo. Let Coop finish out the season, and bring in Tim Bogar or Dave Clark (first 2 that popped into my head).

17. No Worries

The win-lose record? Or should this team be 90-4 with a new manager that all of the players just love?

18. Buck Turgidson

I knew that was coming. Thanks for getting it out of the way early and ignoring the rest of my post.

A manager's number one job is to put the individual players (and thus the team) in the best possible position to succeed (this does not necessarily mean "win" btw) and then let the players do their jobs. His number 1A job is to be a leader/authority figure in the clubhouse. Does Coop do this, in your opinion?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

On an overall basis I think he's handled the bullpen fairly well as well as his starting pitching. Frankly I don't see how you can argue otherwise. How did he do when his closer was out, when sampson blewup, when his closer came back? how did he work through Roy's lack of production in the beginning of the year, through Wandy's June?

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

maybe so, but many of them are inside the clubhouse according to different sources

I think he's done a decent job. Made some terrible moves this year but we still are overachieving.

I'm neutral right now.