1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Life

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 3814, Jun 17, 2004.

1. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

hey, i was just thinkin today how this board sorta has that "family" feel to it...we all sorta know each other, but really don't. so lets kinda go over the main things in about a paragraph as if you were introducing yourself for the first time - i just think it would be cool to know some stuff about the ppl i spend so time reading.

i am 19 years old, live in vancouver, Canada although i go to university in alberta (red deer). right now i'm working in a lumberyard for the summer, but i'm going into become a high school teacher (english/P.E). i drive an 84 corvette although i've facory ordered a chevy colorado sport package (lowered and stuff), selling the car. ummm, favorite music is anything from AFI to Incubus to ACDC while sometimes sidetracking in strange trends (for me) that involve country, classical, sometimes hip-hop/rap (but rarely).

your turn...

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

What I always find awkward about stuff this broad is I never really know what to say... but here goes.

I'm also 19. I live in Sacramento, but go to school at Marquette. I was a Journalism major but switched to Secondary English Education with a minor in Philosophy. Favorite musician is Angie Aparo, favorite movie at the moment (it kinda keeps changing) is OldBoy, a Korean film. Spend my free time hangin with my girl, playing basketball, watching movies, watching anime/reading mangas (recent interest), and playing videogames (almost exclusively sports, fighting, and RPGs).

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Why not...

As of about an hour ago, I am now seventeen years old and a senior - to - be at Lufkin High School. I do well in school, play sports, participate in academic competitions, and hope to attend the University of Pennsylvania, where I would most probably have a pre-med oriented curriculum. Drive a Honda Accord, listen to lots of different music - DMB, A Tribe Called Quest, Kanye West, Dispatch, U2, many more, and spend most of my free time with my friends or playing some sport.

4. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Allright. I'll play your game.

I'm 22, and I was born and lived inside the Houston city limits until I was 12, then I moved out to the "country" which is now the suburbs thanks to development and expansion. I worked in an Ace Hardware for the majority of HS and graduated from Cy-Fair HS in 2000. I go to UT, (like anyone can't tell from my sig) and I'm majoring in Human Biology with a concentration in pathogenesis and immunology, and hopefully I can fit in an Anthropology minor real soon. I graduate in the fall, and up until 5 months ago, I had no idea that I wanted to be a HS bio teacher.... So I've got to start on that too pretty soon. I used to play goalie for UT's lacrosse team, but quit due to health issues - I have had arthritis since the ripe old age of 8, and it's flared up the past few years. I go to school, work, hang out with my bf, and all the free time I have after that is usually spent at this site. I love all things cute and cuddly and my favorite color is purple. The end.

#4 meggoleggo, Jun 17, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Damn Drexlerfan, you're only 19?! You come off as much older in your posts. :)

As for me, I'm 21. Living in Seabrook right now working on getting a CDL so I can make enough money to go back to school and into my own place. I'm pursuing a career in teaching (either art or history) so I'll have something to fall back on my other goals don't pan out. Got engaged recently, so busy with that too.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

well as the moniker ends... I am 19 years old (for 2 more days anyway)

I live in Lompoc, the biggest craphole in California. 150 miles north of LA and 300 miles south of San Fran. We have a large Air Force Base out here, and also a Maximum Security Prison

"I SPENT 2 YEARS IN LOMPOC" - Vin Diesel in The Fast and the Furious.

Of course he says it wrong (It's pronounced Lom-Poke)

I just finished my freshman year out at Allan Hancock College, probably going to end up transfering to USCB or San Jose State with a major in something busniess related.

These are the following things I enjoy in life - The Oakland Raiders, The Houston Rockets, The Simpsons, That 70's show, Hip-Hop music, Comedy Movies and Japan's greatest contribution to society... the NES.

And as I am often asked "Why the hell are you a rockets fan?"
    I don't really know, I started watching b-ball when the Rockets were kicking ass back in 93 and I really liked them. Haven't ever cheered for another NBA team ever since I've been a fan of the sport. I was born on the day Hakeem Olajuwon was drafted by the Rockes so call it karma.

I guess I really like Texas, seems like there are some cool people out there, (not to mention some certified hotties.) Hell I might even move out here one day.

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You know, I have never given that much information when introducing myslef to someone for the first time, and I think if I tried, they would probably walk away in the middle.

Given that, I am 24, live in Stockton, CA. I graduated from Pacific (where draft superbust Michael Olowokandi played) with a BS in computer engineering. I am unemployed and I live with my parent. :p :eek: :( I was thinking about possibly teaching or joining the Marines like my deadbeat father, though for that second on I would need to lose about 75 pounds. God, my life is pathetic. Thanks alot for making me confront such a painful subject. :( ;)

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Whoa SM, Stockton is pretty rough... I heard there are places over there where if your car was to break down you'd never be heard from again. :eek:

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Haha... what's funny is that even people who meet me in person tend to assume I'm about 5 years older than I am.

Always interesting to find out how you're generally perceived, because on something as anonymous as a BBS it's usually impossible to tell. Thanks. :)

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Sure...

I'm 25, lived in the Houston area (Deer Park) all my life. I've been married for almost 3 years to a girl I've been dating since my senior year of high school. No kids, two dogs. I went to Sam Houston State for two years on a music scholarship (Trumpet), but lost interest and decided to join the working world. I work in the IT field now, so I really wish I would have stayed in school so I would have a degree to fall back on in case I found myself unemployed.

11. StupidMoniker

It isn't so bad now. About 10 years ago it had the highest per capita murder rate in the world, mostly due to Asian and Latin gangs fighting over drugs. Now even the downtown area (which used to be the worst) has really been cleaned up, and we have no problems going to the new movie theater they built alone at 1 in the morning. All that being said, in most violent crime categories, we are about 3 x the national average.

#11 StupidMoniker, Jun 17, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

They built the new movie theatre alone, at 1 in the morning?? :eek:

;)

13. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

....I'm 25...living in a suburb west of Sydney in Australia...

I finished a degree in chemical engineering without repeating any subjects which was good. HECS is a killer debt. Basically the year I started college (university), the government doubled the tuition fees! Uni was the best of times except during exams! :D

Currently working as a senior supply chain planner who is doing three people's job (once upon a time each business unit had a manager and two supply chain planners). Now it's just me! :mad:

I had plans to quit next month (been there approx. 3 years) and travel the world (Europe, US and the Philippines) but yesterday got a 10% pay rise so I'll stick for another two months at most and cash in. ;)

I became a Rocket fans in 93 while my friends were rooting for the Bulls, Lakers and Sonics. However, it was 94 when the Rockets kick butt that I really paid attention to them. I've been visting Clutch City religiously since it first came out- although I'm not much of a poster. Lost my original log-on so I went to my back-up moniker.

I enjoy watching movies, digital photography, anime, basketball and lots more.

Philosophy on life: Excel. Have fun. Achieve. (So you can sleep soundly at night).

14. StupidMoniker

And with 16 screens, you can imagine what a good worker that chick was to finish in one night. :D

-OR-

Me fail English, that's unpossible.

15. omair

omair Contributing Member

I am 19, curretnly going to UT austin and studying electrical engineering.. :(
    born and raised in houston, never lived anywhere else... alot of family in pakistan
    started watching the rockets during the phoenix series , all i rmr though is the kiss of death.. and fell in love with basketball right then and there.. been playing since..
    big computer nerd.. i hardly posted and forgot my old user name 4 years ago.. gonna make it a point to post more instead of spending hrs just reading what yall have to say..
    should be studying for a govt test right now.. il think ill go back

16. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I am 28 (I feel old now, looking at all the 19-21 yo's here!), and I live in Peterborough, in the UK. I studied at Durham University, and the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, graduating with a degree in Mathematics and Economics. I work in IT, and have fulfilled various roles, but my current speciality is data warehousing. I am single, and have just moved in with my parents again (a temporary measure). I am still relatively active, and play basketball, cricket and football in various local leagues. I'll probably re-locate to London in the next 18 months, and I've been a Rockets fan since the first moment that I saw Hakeem play!

17. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Well I'm 38 and hoaved lived in Houston my whole life. I support any and all home teams. Astros, Rockets, Texas, Comets, etc. If it has the name Houston in front of it, I support it. I like all types of music but Classic Rock is my favorite. I played football in high school and I love to play video games. Some of my favorites are Diablo II, Madden 2004, Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of Empires, pretty much any type of role playing game. I have 2 beautiful daughters and the greatest wife in the world.

That is more information than I gave my wife on our 1st date so I think I will stop there.

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I was born the son of a sharecropper on the Stovall Plantation in 1910. When I was in my twenties, a man from the Library of Congress named Alan Lomax came to Stovall and recorded me playing the blues on a little tape recorder he had. Next thing I knew, I was on a train to Chicago. I started playing juke joints on the south side, and the rest is history.

;) :cool:

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

29, born in Irving, Texas (not my fault), family moved to Cypress when I was 4 and Ive lived here ever since. Been married for almost 3 years and have a soon to be 1 year old boy named Jack.

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Boy! Are there some younguns' here.

Let's just say I was born during the Kennedy administration. Air Force brat that lived in 13 different places before graduating from high school (Spring High School alum, class of 80). Most notable, Spain, Italy, Morocco, North Dakota, Florida, Washington DC and the great state of Texas.

Degree in Theater from SHSU. Have been living in NYC for 11 years now. Act when I can find it and work in publishing. Married 7 years to a wonderful woman, no kids (contemplating not having any). Rent an apt in Queens and just bought a weekend home in the Catskills.

ROCKET FAN UNTIL I DIE!!!!