1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your ideal draft night....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Apr 19, 2022.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Keyonte George next year is who I hope the rockets end up with. If you pair him with Jabari Smith and Green. Game over

Seriously the shooting would be off the charts.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There are people that follow the Rockets that don’t see it in the best interests of the team’s future to have kpj as the starting PG. I’ll leave it at that.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Outside of disagreeing with you on Porter's "elite" defense I'm there with you. I was just saying that it's not impossible to see a Green/Suggs backcourt existing--it would just take a lot of work to make it happen imo.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If you think I'm one of those people then you're correct but that doesn't mean I don't think Porter should NOT be in the starting lineup next season.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think he could. HE COULD be good off the bench on a elite team down the road.

I don’t think a team with unselfish and smart players will mix with him. I don’t dislike the guy I wish him the best etc.

I could be wrong though for sure. He is enticing in some ways.

steddinotayto likes this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

He's 21... let's see how he does next year now that Green appears to be a competent player... he seemed to play better when Green did...

D-rock and peleincubus like this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

Wembanyama is a backup plan and an excellent safe word.

txtodd, DreamR, luckyman76 and 2 others like this.
  8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Knowing how Tom Thibodeaux values/uses players, I *do* think they'd be willing to trade down from 11 to 17 "just" for Tate. Hell, I'm not entirely sure I'd do that if I were the Rockets!

joshuaao, luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Knicks traded for Reddish. I'm not sure Thibodeaux and front office are on the same page.

I would do Tate and #17 for #11 easily. One of Mathurin, Sochan, or Griffin should fall to No. 11. I would be worried that Jaden Hardy is BPA at #17. Sure he's got potential, but I think guys at 11 will have a lot less projection needed to be NBA players.

D-rock likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tari Eason

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wish we can end up with Jabari and Eason without having to trade our rookies and KPJ. It's going to be hard to pull it off.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Scooter runs circles around Suggs currently. I don’t doubt Suggs gets better and reaches some of his markers down the line, but that would be a mega reach IMO.

Not a KPJ fan?

Denovo likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd have him (though he could go earlier) and Dyson as next up after those three.

D-rock likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Fair enough! If you go back to my original post that you quoted, you'll notice I did qualify by saying I understand this is a bit of an overpay but I just want to illustrate the point that moving up can be done.

I'm much lower on Tate than most, and would rather convert his value into draft equity before we have to pay him.

What do you think of tate + MIL '23 to CLE for #14? he's a perfect fit there and I do think the rockets need to consolidate assets a bit.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm of a similar opinion. Tate's biggest value is to a contender, and I don't see the Rockets as a contender prior to Tate getting paid. For this draft, I value the move from 17 to 11 to be much more valuable than a late 2022 FRP.

fattz, D-rock, joshuaao and 1 other person like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Rockets draft Holmgren and Stone trades Wood/Ego/Nets pick to the Blazers and we get Mathurin or Sharpe.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I always think this is an important point to make. Who on the team do you want to pay now? There will definitely need to be asset consolidation. EGo, Wood, and Wall should be gone and whatever can be got for them to add to our draft capital to move into lottery should be done. If you can move a dead MIL pick and Tate to climb into the lottery again and you know you are not paying Tate this buys you more years on your window and leaves open two max slots to strike decisively in FA as you have used up your lottery window. There is always a difference between players you like and players you pay.

fattz likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Damn, you went from talking about picks we don't have to picks we don't have in seasons we haven't played... :D

D-rock and peleincubus like this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It is ptsd from 0-infinity against the warriors. I think green has a chance to be a a better shooter than I thought. Jabari &Keyonte would be ridiculous shooting. If you add a decent shooting superior roller and defender at the center position it’s over. Just need the Jabari domino to fall then the rockets 100% have the assets to get Keyonte next season if wanted.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. the way I see it is these are the guys I want to give minutes and development time to:

sengun - garuba
    ??? - KJM
    ??? - ???
    jalen - JC
    KPJ - Nix

we will add 2 more players (hopefully forwards, but I believe in taking BPA) that should get development time in the rotation next year.

the leaves wood, gordon, tate, nwaba, matthews, and especially wall, as expendable. I'm already saving a rotation spot for the #17 pick. I'm not sure Silas will, but this is what I'd like to do. so if any of those vets can be moved to improve the quality of player in that rotation spot, by moving us up from #17, then so be it. I don't really care if I can get more by waiting. waiting also takes time/reps away from guys who might be more important when the games actually matter in a year or two.

and yes, I'm willing to overpay to consolidate. I'd gladly give 3 dimes for a quarter because there's a finite amount of rotation spots, and getting the most value in each one is the whole point.

fattz, luckyman76 and peleincubus like this.