1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your ideal draft night....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Landry's Tooth

Post your ideal 2 picks here...

I would use Gordon and/or Wood with #17 to move into the back of the lottery...

I go Jabari and Sochan... both are plus defenders...

Starting 5:

Kevin Porter Jr
    Jalen Green
    Jeremy Sochan
    Jabari Smith
    Alperen Sengun

6th man: Josh Christopher

Bench: Tate, Martin, veteran PG, veteran C

I know people like Ivey and he would be #2 for me. I just feel we need 1 more year of evaluation of KPJ...

2. Landry's Tooth

One other thought with Sochan... his defense should play right away and i would use him on the ball on scoring wings and move Green to the spot up shooters and cutters to reduce workload on him...

They utilized Ariza and Harden this way. Could give Green more time to work on his defense....

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

#2 Chet/Jabari
    #17 Mark Williams

krmclaughlin, hajkov, Rashmon and 9 others like this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

We draft Jabari

Denovo and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Smith or Holmgren with our top pick would be an ideal night.

6. Landry's Tooth

I don't dislike Williams if we're at #17.

I still think as a 5 with no spacing he's likely a backup with major minutes as a rim protector when the defense is awful...

But still useful in pick/roll so there are some solutions around it... definitely a different look that gives Silas matchup options...

I think Jabari can handle some of the defensive issues at the rim to a lesser degree. The thought with a defensive 3 and big is you get an upgrade at both levels of the defense...

No opposed to Chet either, just think the risk is higher with him...

Astrodome likes this.
  7. vator

vator Contributing Member

I'll have a better idea what I want to do with the top pick once the lottery is set. I'm happy as long as it's top 4. Pick 5 will have me a little down, but then it's time to take a deep dive on some guys. I feel like all the guys after 4 are all bunched up right now. Shaedon Sharpe is a wild card, but we'll start hearing more about how high teams are on him soon and if he is a legit threat to go in the top 4.

I'd like to get Jeremy Sochan, Tari Eason, or Dyson Daniels with the BKN pick. We may have to trade up.

Ideally, I'd love to leverage some assets and cash in and nab two of those guys, but I know that's a tall ask. I think it's doable though. Two of those guys completely upgrade our defensive potential and gives us multiple switchable defenders and 2 way players. I'd even settle for one of those guys and Mark Williams or Ousmane Dieng.

Ismael Kamagate might be getting slept on. Some people like him more than Mark Williams.

#7 vator, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    Milos, Corrosion, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  8. DreamR

DreamR Member

Jabari or Chet would be ideal for our top pick

Banchero or Ivey are not as good of a fit next to what our core currently is

If we go for Jabari with our top pick, I would prefer a rim protecting center with our next pick such as Jalen Duran or Mark Williams

If we go for Chet with our top pick, I would prefer a versatile defender with potential to impact the game in multiple areas with our next pick such as Jeremy Sochan, Tari Eason, maybe Osmane Dieng

If we need to trade up to aquire one of these players I am all for it

Milos, csnerd84, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

1. Take BPA
    2. Take BPA

Kidding aside, ideally we landed a top 4 pick prior to the draft and we take the BPA regardless of position. As for the Brooklyn pick, I was steadfast in wanting to use that pick (plus a vet) to move up but I've come to realize that we could just stand pat and find a quality player. If my boy Sengun was there at 16 why can't I see Stone hit again around the same draft position?

groovemachine and arabrocket like this.
  10. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

I wouldn't be mad with Paolo or Ivey either.

groovemachine likes this.
  11. sydmill

sydmill Member

Walking out of draft night with Jabari Smith and Tari Eason is my ideal. Forward spots would be set for the foreseeable.

groovemachine and Milos like this.
  12. right1

right1 Member

Thoughts on Christian Koloko who just declared? Maybe trading up or down into the 22-29 range? Possibly better NBA player/potential than Mark Williams?

Rashmon likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Ideal?

Getting the #1 pick and the #17 pick.

Then trading the #1 pick down to the team sitting at #2-3 and getting a future #1 and still getting Holmgren or Smith or Ivey at the top of the draft.

Then at #17 getting Sochan or Ousmane Dieng.

The Rockets trade Gordon for a late #1 pick and take Blake Wesley.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That’s an interesting idea trade down to #3 for a pick next year. Trade Brooklyn’s pick for one next year.

giving you 4 picks. You could then trade up if needed to get a top 5 pick. Likely getting a top PG

Dynasty lol

Milos and Nook like this.
  15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Take Jabari. Then, move up from #17, utilizing a combination of picks and players, for Keegan Murray.

DrNuegebauer, Milos and randerson like this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Depends on how the lottery shakes out. Too early to say.

17. Landry's Tooth

I think if the belief is Jalen Green is going to initiate like Harden or Kobe he would need a Derrick Fisher / Pat Beverley type next to him... this assumes you're not high on kpj...

They could maybe find someone like that for a late 1 or early 2...

Maybe an undersized 2 who lacks handles but can d up and hit an open jumper?

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Holmgren is clear #1 for me. He's skinny, but his toughness and abilities over compensate for that imo.

#17 I want a long tenacious wing defender with offensive upside. Sochan is ideal, but likely not there. Eason is 2nd, but his reach is a little less than I'd like. Wildcard is Jovic, not the defender, but loads of potential.

lpbman, Y2JT, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Land pick one, trade back and still get Chet or Jabari.

Sharpe declares but doesn't work out for anyone and he falls to 17.

Flip Gordon / Wood + Bucks pick for #9 and pick up Duren, Eason or Griffin.

Use cash to buy two second round picks which can be stashed overseas (Dieng / Kamagate)

Rashmon, DreamR, yixiixiy and 3 others like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Has a lower upside and is going to be a bench player because of the modern need to guard the perimeter. He is useful because he can defend and provide size in certain line ups and match ups.