1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

your dream coach for rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tommyboy, Dec 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. hotsouthtree

hotsouthtree Member

Phil Jackson is definately the first choice. (definatley he will successful in Rocket)
    If not the health probelm, Rudy T is also OK. (Less successful though)
    Brown not for sure, dependents upon the chemistry between the coach and players

2. blastaway

blastaway Member

I understand that the question was about who that is coaching now would we choose. But that is just pipe dreaming since they all have jobs and aren't leaving anytime soon, or we wouldn't be wanting them. So I chose to mention someone that is AVAILABLE that could make a difference NOW: CALVIN MURPHY!

But, if we are pipe dreaming...Sitting Bull....then I would go with Phil Jackson or Pop as a toss up. I like Phil's smoothness and Pop's hardnose leadership style.

I don't think Rudy has it left in him for the grind, although I love the guy for what he did for us.

I woudn't hire Larry Brown with someone else's money. He is a quiter tryign to get rich in old age.

3. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Haha we'd be championship contenders w/ Belichick cuz he'd steal the gameplan of the other team before each game! haha

While we're at it, lets bring in marty shottenheimer so we can play martyball and run on every play so we dont ever turn the ball over even though we're only up by 3 and its third and 15 lolol

4. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Well...

JVG is the best pure coach the Rockets ever had.

Just think back to last year and the attitude and play of a team with LESS talent.

Too bad he had to go since he had 4 years to do his job and couldn't. Though...he is being missed more and more...even by those that hated him.

5. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Well...

JVG is the best pure coach the Rockets ever had.

Just think back to last year and the attitude and play of a team with LESS talent.

Too bad he had to go since he had 4 years to do his job and couldn't. Though...he is being missed more and more...even by those that hated him.

I still stand by my coach. He just got here. But I can say without a doubt, Adelman ain't better than JVG. Maybe just as good in the end. But better? No.

6. YugoRocketsFan

Anybody that knows basketball would pick Popovich, he wont stand Tracy McGrady falling back on his jumpshot, he will chew him out and make him drive in, he will turn Yao into a very good player, he knows the quality of a big man, he also is VERY smart and knows the fundamentals of basketball.

7. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

For every coach asked for in this thread, get ready for a 'Fire -insert coach name-' within the first month (maybe 2 in Popovich's case).

For DaDakota, SamFisher will start the 'Fire DD' thread at the beginning of preseason :D

8. MeatAndPotatoes

it's a slow process, but good things are worth waiting for. I'm looking forward to February/March when we really start looking like a team. I think the Rockets are going to surprise alot of people at the end of the season.

9. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

I am completely buying this. Phil is a great coach who might be able to divert 'ordinary' into 'wonderful'. If he is coaching our team, and we still have a 13-15 record on the book, I just wont give a word to him. But we all know he wont have that kind of record. ;)

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

As long as John Wooden is still alive, he's my choice. Talk about respect. If the players can't respect the Wizard of Westwood, they should be forced to turn in their basketball shoes.

Other than that, I really wanted either Tubby Smith or Rick Carlisle when they fired Van Gundy. I guess if I could rob another team, I'd like Popovich or Scott Skiles.

11. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

1. JVG
    2. Rick Carlisle
    3. SVG
    4. Larry Brown
    5. NOT Rick Adelman

12. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

At this point we got Rick and I'm happy with him, just a couple of players I'd tell to hit the road. But... If Santa was to bring a coach wrapped in a bow? I'd start my list with...

1). Pop's- he's showned he gots the knowledge and knows how to keep his teams head on straight.

2). Sloan- this guy just keeps on winning, whether it's Malone and Stocken, or Boozer and Willaims. He knows what he wants, gets the guys he wants and wins year after year.

---- after that, I gotta follow my heart, so that brings me too...

3). Rudy T- He's my man, He's Houston's man and has no business in L.A.

4). Mario Elie- When you talk about passion and heart, they don't get much bigger than his.

5). Calvin Murphy- This guy has tons of basketball knowledge and tells it the way he sees it, like it or not. We all know this ones a pipe dream since the Rockets won't let him near a five mile radius of Toyota Center. Damn shame too, cause I really miss his telecast

13. Zinc

Zinc Member

Likely that is why Patriots got 15-0 record and beat almost every opponent by double digits, right? It would be silly to think a good team needs a spy cam to win, the key is to play with anger in their guts.

14. trea

trea Contributing Member

1. Pop
    2. Del Harris
    3. Jerry Sloan

15. tsunami

tsunami Member

JVG might goto coach Chicago Bulls.

16. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Phil Jackson.

17. The Brian