1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your College Rivalries

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 24, 2008.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since we're in the middle of College Rivalry week(s) wondering what are your rivalrys and if your rivalry game has been played already how'd your team do?

My big one is Cal / Stanford we play for The Axe, in The Big Game and this rivalry is most famous for The Play.

John Elway in his last college game leads the Cardinal from his deep in his own territory to a fieldgoal to take the lead with 4 seconds left. Only a miracle can save Cal.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7aCDfJH6eRY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7aCDfJH6eRY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

In this year's installment of the Big Game the Mighty Golden Bears trounced the Cardinal, the trees or whatever they are of StanfURD 36 to 16 on Sat..

GO BEARS!

[​IMG]

2. conquistador#11

mine was my Ex gf's roommate, she never left the dorm! =(

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I am a law student at the University of Arkansas. Since moving to the SEC, we don't really have any natural rivalries. The closest thing we have right now is the matchup with LSU, which is traditionally played the day after Thanksgiving.

They play for a trophy called the "Golden Boot" which is a big ass gold trophy in the shape of Arkansas and Louisiana's borders.

The most famous play in the series, from an Arkansas perspective, is the "Miracle on Markham," in which Arkansas completed a desperation pass in the closing seconds of the 2002 season to win 21-20 and earn a trip to the SEC championship game. Matt Jones tossed it to DeCori Birmingham in the back corner of the end zone to go 81 yards in 3 plays.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w0p8DSekHwg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w0p8DSekHwg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Bedlam.

There's no other in-state rivalry with sure pure loathing between the two teams like OSU and OU.

BTW, Matt Jones was a beast in college. Fastest, tallest white guy I have ever seen.

6. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Well, being a Longhorn, there's always the UT - A&M rivalry, which is part of the Lone Star Showdown.

But I really loathe the Sooners more than anything... :mad:

7. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Texas leads the all time series 58-40-5.

8. The Drake

The Drake Member

Rice v. UH for the Bayou Bucket!!

It's bittersweet having the game over Thanksgiving weekend:
    One on hand, it being the last game of the season with so much on the line is awesome...
    But on the other hand, a lot of my friends are going to be out of town for the holidays, and won't get to see the game :(

Still, this should be a great game; this is definitely one of the most important Buckets in a long time!

9. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Incorrect sir. Having grown up in Alabama and now being a grad student at OU, I can tell you that this has nothing on the Iron Bowl. The Bedlam isn't loathing so much as it is pure jealousy seething in Stillwater. Auburn-Alabama is a million times the rivalry of OU-OSU both on the field and off.

10. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

UTEP's two big rivals are New Mexico State and New Mexico, both of which are out of conference.

Since moving to CUSA, we haven't built a real, heated, hate-filled rivalry with anyone. We've had some very good, very exciting games with UH in football and basketball, and I think on the UTEP boards it's believed that they're our current biggest in-conference rival. Sadly, I don't think UH fans care about us one way or the other...

11. fmp087

fmp087 Member

dont really care for a&m as much as OU.

i despise ou

12. Asian Sensation

CIVIL WAR!

Oregon vs. Oregon State.

GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!! We are going to spoil the Beavers shot at the Rose Bowl. I also hope UCLA can knock off USC. Fat chance but I'm hoping.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Purdue (my alma mater) beat the living snot out of IU on Saturday, 62-10, in Tiller's final game and they showed it in Houston. The Old Oaken Bucket.

jasonemilio, when it comes to loathing and hatred, I don't think you guys have anything on UF vs. FSU or Miami vs. FSU. Those two football rivalries define over-the-top loathing and hatred.

Since moving to Texas over 20 years ago, I'm impressed by the UT vs. A&M rivalry. Both sides respect each other and it's classy.

14. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Yeah, I was born in Oklahoma and still spend a lot of time in the state. Bedlam is a pretty piddly little rivalry. Nothing holds a candle to the Iron Bowl in terms of the hatred, the history, the overall success of BOTH programs, and the competitiveness of the series.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I went to University of Chicago, which essentially has no sports teams. So, no athletic rivalries. We did have a love-hate relationship with Northwestern -- they loved us as their sister-school and thought of us as equals, while we hated them for being more popular and thinking they were as good as us when they weren't.

I also went to Rice, but it was the business school, so I really didn't give a damn what the school's rivalries might be.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Going to SHSU, I'm not really sure who it is. I guess it's between Texas St. and SFA. There was a trophy involved with the SFA game, but why else would you play TS on the last week of the season every year?

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

UCLA vs usc

course usc beats the snot of out my bruins almost every year in football, but we own them in most of the other sports.

hopefully neuhiesel can turn the program around in a few years.

18. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

You my friend, are wrong.

And how would you know? I live in Oklahoma and I have been to OSU a couple of times and been to a few games, and I go on their message board every day. So I can PROVE to you that it is NOT loathing. It would just be plain r****ded to be jealous of those ignorant hicks. We just hate those ignorant, beer drinking, hill-billy, snotty, hairy asses sons of a b****s.

Now, I will not say anything about the Auburn-Alabama rivalry, and although the game atmosphere might be more raucous than Bedlam, I can guarantee you that the pure hatred between OU and OSU is bar none pure evil, and it goes beyond sports too.

Plus the fact that ulike Alabama and Auburn, we also have a basketball rivalry too since we both have a deep history of success (although we actually have two national championships) , even though we have been going through some rough patches the last two-three years. So unlike you guys, our rivalry goes all year long.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Texas State beat Nichols St. in the "Battle for the Paddle" and then beat Sam Houston St. last week in OT to win the Southland Conference Championship.

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

It's definitely SFA.

Most of the conference schedules are taken from the previous years schedule...just to make it easier.