1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Young Rockets team promises unpredictable season, allows hope for bright future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LandryMegaBeast, Dec 30, 2011.

1. LandryMegaBeast

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2011/12/with-a-rout-of-the-spurs-leslie-alexander-looks-at-a-whole-new-ballgame/

interesting read.. this team has major potential, but we are still developing. Hopefully we can reach that threshold by the time the playoffs begin

2. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Honestly i will admit.. ive been pushing for us to trade and get a better center.. but after tonight... ive decided we should be patient at least till the trade deadline... and see how good we have done. then make a decision.. and i love this team so much that i dont wanna see scola leave

3. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

So can we stop the tanking threads now? Morey considered it, Les refused, so it is what it is, and unless you have $450M to buy the team, the direction isn't going to change no matter how convincing an argument you make on a fan message board.

1 person likes this.
  4. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Agreed.....personally i'd rather rebuild or as some call it tank but who cares what i think. end of story. next topic. time to move on.....

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think we need a new owner.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You gonna force him to sell the team and come up with the money to buy it?

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

AMEN!

8. HombreDeHierro

Les is a businessman...

the period of mediocrity would be the investment period..

but maybe we're onto something with this unit and have hit it big

9. Spooner

Spooner Member

Straight from the horse's mouth. Now can we please stop asking to have Morey fired because he won't tank? It's getting old.

10. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I think it would be purty if Lowry had an Andre Drummond to pass to.

11. delta69er

delta69er Member

This next draft class is pretty deep though...

12. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Interesting the clash of preferences. Morey wants to rebuild and hope for the lottery. Les wants to win and not think that way. Preferably I prefer Les' thinking. You're cheating the game otherwise, and the draft, as we've seen before, is no sure bet.

I'm glad Les is pushing the envelope. As a fan, it's always reassuring when our owner reiterates that he wants to win. After all, that's why we root, right? This team is booming with potential. Still needs more size (but which team doesn't?) and could use a bit more veteran know-how, but I admire its spunk and precociousness.

Good read. Feigen's stuff is rarely insightful, but this article was pretty good.

13. Spooner

Spooner Member

That is unrealistic. The team is not bad enough to land the #1 pick in the draft. Not even close. If they were, I would assure you that Kyle Lowry or any other quality player would be a part of another roster.

14. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

From a business stand-point, i'm not even sure Les' strategy is the best.

Rebuilding like the Thunder (or some could argue the Clippers) can bring you way more money back in the short-term (2-3 years), than running for 10 years on the mediocrity tread-mill.

Revamping a franchise, and by that I mean bringing in a new franchise player that is exciting to watch make some crossovers/dunk/whatever. Bringing in some new logo/jerseys, creating a new atmosphere to get away from the old one. Thats the was you sell tickets and get people into the stadium. Thats the way you get your fans excited again.

Nobody is going to come and watch if your the 9th seed each year.

I've always thought about most owners (aside from Mark Cuban) being businessmen first, and seeing there ball-club as an asset rather than a passion-project. And though Leslie has crazy experience, I think he should let Morey run the show alone and do what's best for the fans.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

If you trade Scola (the last guy I would want to see leave) and Martin and let the young guys play, we might have a shot at being around 7th chance to pick #1. Then once the balls start rolling anything can happen.

Sam Dam's signing was the obvious answer that we we're "rebuilding". Though I think that he's a great player, the signing was the most r****ded thing i've ever seen.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I dont think it has been shown that Morey wants to rebuild by tanking, just that he suggested it is an option.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

Well one thing you have to remember is that not all players drafted high in the lottery turn out to be the franchise player you want. If that happens it will be an extremely long rebuilding process of lottery picks year after year until you land that rare superstar in the draft. Not every top draft pick turns into a lebron james or Blake Griffin.

18. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Bottom line is that Les is almost 70. At that age it's no surprise he doesn't want to wait through years of losing.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Sounding more like ol' Drayton than basketball savvy

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I bet it's La Guernica...... not pop art......Well I hope you treasure your painting and get us a superstar