1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Young over Bush

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rhester, Dec 30, 2005.

1. rhester

rhester Member

If by chance Vince Young comes out this draft here is why I would take him over Bush.

1. V. Young could be a once in lifetime freakish athlete who can dominate at the next level. He is larger and stronger than Michael Vick just as elusive and fast, and may be a better passer. He has not shown to be injury prone as Vick was both in college and with the Falcons. In short V. Young has more potential coming out than M. Vick had.
    2. V. Young will touch the ball every play on offense. The pressure he will put on defenses can open up the running and the passing game. Teams will be limited in how he is rushed in an attempt to keep him in the pocket. Anytime he can step up and run he can make a big play. Much like M. Vick teams will have to scheme for his running ability.
    3. No previous NFL QB has had his tools- size 6'-5", 225 lbs., 4.5 speed, elusiveness and strength. He may be a one of a kind QB.
    4. It is overblown that he may not adjust to NFL defenses. He has already proven he can pass against the best college defenses, with good coaching and time he has shown the aptitude to improve each season as a passer.
    5. R. Bush has never 'carried' the load as a runner. R. Bush has the skills to be like Gayle Sayers but it is still a gamble that he can carry 20-25 times a game in the NFL for 16 games. He may be = to Marshall Faulk but is Faulk more valuable than M. Vick to a team? I would take a healthy Vick in prime over a healthy Faulk in prime.
    6. If you have to pass on one of the two what are the odds of one or the other becoming a dominating hall of fame type player. I think at this point V. Young has more 'P'otential to be great.

Just my biased opinion.

I hope Texas wins!

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Whooooa Nelly. I was with you until this one. Vick over Faulk in their primes??? Faulk was the best RB and arguably BEST PLAYER in the league for many years. I don't even think Vick would be considered a top 10 QB by many at this point. I know he gets a lot of hype and he's an amazing athelete, but the production just isn't there for you to consider him an elite player.

As for Bush carrying the load, you have to remember he lines up at receiver quite often for USC. Those plays that he would be lined up at receiver for us need to be considered if you are arguing that he can't carrry the load.

3. MadMax

MadMax Member

sweet...a thread where i get to say again:

michael vick is the most overrated player in the game today. i'd have to think about it some more, but likely the most overrated athlete in pro sports today.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Plus he returns punts, right? Though he may not be allowed to do that in the NFL.

I love Vince Young, but there are far more question marks about him (and about QBs in general compared to RBs) than Bush. To me, it's not really even close. You also have to take into account that Bush is the most likely player to impact his new team from week 1. Players like Young might not even start in their first year (Vick didn't). So drafting a player like V. Young might not only prove to be a move that busts for you, but it could be a move that you don't even KNOW busts for you until year 3 or 4 (since QBs take longer to develop). I'll take Reggie.

5. rhester

rhester Member

I agree about M. Vick being overrated.
    Poor passer, injury prone.

I agree Faulk is a better player. Have to admit upon further review I would also want a prime Faulk over prime Vick.

I still think V. Young may be 'one of a kind' special in the NFL.

I also think V. Young is a much better prospect coming out than Vick was.

If Bush = Faulk or Sanders then yes he is the ONE.

Do you know how many #1 pick running backs took their team to a Super Bowl (the one that drafted him)?

I can't come up with one in NFL history.

Here is a list of NFL hall of fame players who were #1 overall selection-
    1942 Bill Dudley, HB Pittsburgh Steelers
    1945 Charley Trippi, HB Chicago Cardinals
    1949 Chuck Bednarik, C/LB Philadelphia Eagles
    1957 Paul Hornung, QB/HB Green Bay Packers
    1963 (AFL) Buck Buchanan, DE/T Kansas City Chiefs
    1968 Ron Yary, T Minnesota Vikings
    1969 O.J. Simpson, RB Buffalo Bills
    1970 Terry Bradshaw, QB Pittsburgh Steelers
    1976 Lee Roy Selmon, DE Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    1978 Earl Campbell, FB Houston Oilers
    1983 John Elway, QB Baltimore Colts

I like R. Bush, but I wouldn't pass up V. Young

6. RIET

RIET Member

No way.

Vince cannot make NFL type passes. Vince tends to float the ball and his accuracy is suspect.

His greatest weapons are leadership (much easier to establish on the college level) and his running ability (almost completely negated in the NFL unless you want to be sent to the IR after week 3).

He will face many more blitzes and defensive schemes which will require pinpoint passing. He can't just throw it up to Limas and rely on his man outjumping the opposing DB.

He may be eventually be a good NFL player but a #1 pick should be as much of a sure thing as possible.

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

I wouldn't even take Vince Young over Brady Quinn...let alone reggie Bush

8. juicystream

juicystream Member

Even if Young is your guy, you would trade down and get two players. Both could be hall of fame players, but both could be Ki-jana Carter.

9. rhester

rhester Member

Well - everyone's posts are making me rethink V. Young- I only saw Bush one game this year and Young 3 times.

Let's watch the Rose Bowl and revisit the issue... especially if one or the other goes off crazy...

10. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Wow , aren't you a ut fan? Could it be a non delusional UT fan?

#10 IC2000, Dec 30, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Totally agree with everything here.

In the NFL, you have to be able to throw that 10-yard out and you have to be able to rocket that ball in there before the receiver finishes his route. I haven't seen that kind of power from VY's throwing. You also have to have good mechanics which I don't see with VY either.

As far as his running ability, did you ever stop to think WHY Vick is always hurt?

12. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

hope bush doesn't pull a barry sanders and retire with some p***y **** about I don't feel like playing anymore.

waaa waa waa

13. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

I agree, I would take Young over Bush if we had the chance. We already have Domanyck Davis who is a great young running back. And David Carr, he really sucks. I'd much rather see Vince Young in there.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Got to love it. The highest rated QB in the nation that completes 60% of his passes is suspect? If Leinart had the same ratings and completion percentage, everyone would be going nuts that he is one of the best QBs to ever come out.

VY doesn't have the best mechanics in the world, but you don't have to have a perfect throwing motion to complete passes or win games. It's easy to bash VY's passing because let's face it, that's what we bash dual threat QBs for.

Is that the same reason why Chad Pennington is always hurt? McNabb? QBs that almost exclusively stay in the pocket. Aikman suffered concussion after concussion throughout his career, yet I don't remember him ever running the ball himself. For every Vick, there are 2-3 pocket passer QBs that are just as injury prone.

Not sure if ya'll watch UT games or ATL games, but Vick and Young are completely different runners. Vick loves to run it up the middle and use the entire field to do his work, not leaving any type of chance to get out of bounds. VY always runs towards the sidelines and gets out of bounds w/o any contact 80% of his runs.

But like posted above, we should resume this after the Rose Bowl.

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Courtesy of our Sooner friends:

[​IMG]

16. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

With Young's abilities, Its easy to run wherever you want against college competition. What is going to happen in the pros against better players? He will not be able to just run out of bounds all the time. Also, just because he has good numbers doesn't mean he is a good quarterback and can make NFL throws. Most of his passes are easy, simple passes. That is why his numbers are so good. You have to pick Bush, and if you want a QB you take Leinart.

17. The Cat

The Cat Member

It's posts like these that make me really want the Texans to take Young or Leinart... just so we can watch them get pummeled, lead the team nowhere and maybe finally teach a few of our fans that it takes more than 1-2 seconds of pass protection to give a quarterback a legitimate chance to make a play.

I wouldn't be surprised if Young is a better pro than Bush. But, given the state of the Texans and their needs, I think that Bush is a better pick for this team.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

This is a very odd thing to be worrying about before the guy is even drafted.

19. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Yeah, but if he does , he shall be the second gayest athlete to play the game behind Barry "I'm a giant p***y" Sanders.

Harry Potter spoke, and it was good.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Member

True. I'm talking about those who say Vick is always hurt because he runs the ball, I'm saying that they are 2 completely different runners. Like you said, he won't be able to run out of bounds everytime, but unlike Vick, VY runs for the sidelines everytime he scrambles, giving him the CHANCE to get out of bounds a lot of the times. Vick runs right up the gut and leaves almost a zero chance of not getting hit (unless he slides, which he never does).

You're right, numbers don't mean everything. But trying to bash VY for only making "simple, easy passes" isn't a strong argument. The longhorns led the nation in offense w/ no Ricky, no Cedric. They're 12-0 heading for the Rose Bowl again. Has the 2nd longest winning streak in the nation. I don't care how he's getting it done as long as he is getting it done.