1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You realize harden is our point guard right?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IBTL, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

So he is a point shooting guard

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

Do you realize there is no point of having PB...,a waste of position .

3. CertifiedTroll

I imagine a PG being a high-energy player. Harden is great at creating, but his game is so lethargic and destroys pace. If we want to get the most out of Harden, we shouldn't play him out of his element. Yes he should get the ball ALOT, but not have primary ball handling/play making duties.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup people have been extremely spoiled with the fact that he has the ability of being a solid creator but that doesn't mean that should be one of his primary duties, and that he's our PG when he's really not. Harden's #1 ability is to be able to score the ball. He shouldn't have to do this and be the only creator as well. However to be fair, we have seen it is difficult to find a "fit" next to him at the backcourt position. If anything a versatile 3 with the ability to create would help significantly but with the current personnel im sure they are doing their best with what will work with this team instead of forcing things upon other players capabilities

6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden is a mediocre creater - his go to pass is kicking it out to 3pt shooters on the perimeter, but he's shown no ability to set up his teammates for easy layups (with the rare exception being alley oop passes to Capella). Furthermore, all of his passes tend to happen about a second later than ideal, which is a major cause of his turnover issues and the other players' shooting woes (they have less time to set and shoot).

I realize management believes they can use Harden like Nash and have this team succeed, but they're wrong. We are wasting Harden's talents as a primary scorer by asking this of him. I fully expect our offense to be a train wreck next season unless we somehow pick up a legit starting PG who can run and direct an offense properly.

Basketballholic has posted some illuminating stats in another thread debunking the idea that Harden is capable of running a championship offense. I highly suggest everyone look at those.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Pretty much disagree with everything you said.

Nothing about Joatmac is illuminating.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Good time to have Lowry.. Oh wait, Morey went after that Melo guy and ignored Lowry completely.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Harden has been like this since he came into the league.

He's a SG with pg skills

How are people still confused?

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's hilarious how people talk about "championship offense" given the roster and coaching we have had, as if that is utterly meaningless.

11. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, we've seen what happens in the playoffs with Harden as the primary creater - the team turns to ****.

Our biggest postseason success in the past 20 years was due to Josh Smith and Corey Brewer having career games. Take that away and this team goes home in 6 against the Clippers.

Asking Harden to run the offense when he is so clearly not capable of doing so is ****ing stupid. He doesn't have good court vision, he doesn't push the ball and he doesn't get his teammates easy buckets. He is a superb scorer and that's how the Rockets should use him. I don't think there's anything wrong with recognizing this limitation and I find it hard to believe that Harden will lose his effectiveness if we bring in a real PG who isn't a drunk.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It's not so much "Harden running the offense" as much as "Harden not having OTHER ball creators & shot makers." When Harden is the only one, teams can trap him, get handsy and that causes issues because there aren't other secondary ball handlers and creators to take advantage.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The problem was he was in poor shape last year. Get him back to his 2014-15 weight

14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Such a ridiculous lack of bball knowledge in this post..... Harden is an elite playmaker... One of the best passers in the league and has great court vision.... Dude can make all the passes.... Not just oops.... The lead pass in transition... Drive and kicks... Pocket passes.. skip passes.... etc... Dude excels at pushing the pace and controlling pace.

It's clear to me you're either bias or don't watch the majority of Rockets games the past few years.

The problem is he's been the sole legit ball handler, playmaker, and shot creator.... The best defenses can limit and take advantage of that.

Also you do know they had to win 4 games to beat LA right? Harden was great in 3 and a half of those wins including game 7, but let's heap all credit on two dudes who were garbage that entire series outside ONE HALF.:rolleyes:

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You do realize that we're screwed?

16. Rocketeer4Life

James Hardein Wishes He was Steve Nash!

17. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

That is actually a great idea, I love Avery Bradley and I think he would be perfect for this team, but I think he's off the table. To be fair, Eric Gordon plays like a SG on offense and is small enough to guard PG's. That might be good enough?

18. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xV-6zpzNDhc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:eek: beautiful

19. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

James himself requested guard help but the rockets refuse to get point guard. Had a chance at isiah thomas, jeff teague and many others. Brandon jennings would have even help. Fix the position! No disrespect to pat but i don't want to watch bev dribble with his head down for another season. I wouldn't mind getting dragic back! At this point, anyone is a ****ing upgrade. There are many capable guards in the league, we just have to find the ones that are available not named "Rubio".

20. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u-3yr6YsxaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mediocre creator