1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You guys ever get that "wow I'm old" moments?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, May 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

All this stuff makes me feel old...

-The fact that I have an old-man back.
    -NBA players I saw get drafted who are now either retired or getting there fast.
    -NBA players who can't even legally drink yet.
    -Movies I remember coming out which are now a couple decades old.
    -The fact that high school kids now look like 6th-graders to me.
    -The fact that I listen to Phil Collins, Steve Winwood, and Yes.
    -Being called "sir." By everyone.
    -Going back to my old gradeschool to help out my mom, who is the school librarian, and realizing that all but two of my old teachers have now retired.
    -Realizing that anything 90s is old. Here I thought the 2000s just started... oh crap, it's almost 2010...
    -Remembering when Atari was new and cool. And the NES, for that matter.
    -My vinyl collection.
    -My VCR.
    -Realizing that my PS1 games are now being referred to as "vintage," and the fact that I can't sell them to stores anymore.

I could go on forever...

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

When the announcers talk about Shaq's age... then I remember he's just six months older than me. :(

Earlier tonight when I was talking to my wife about a memory that was "five years ago" in my mind... to which she replied, "that was 1998." :(

When I realize my son is turning 9 in November, and daughter 7 next February. :(

When I realize that an old Honda Civic I have is not just a few years old... but close to 16 years old... it's a 93. :(

When I realized I've been driving for 20 years. :(

When every body in the NFL draft, or NBA draft looks like a kid. :(

Enjoy it while you can... it gets away from you. I'm not quite headed for the "bucket list" -but I'm making sure and do things with my kids NOW rather than later on... sort of "last lecture" style.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

My lower back is starting to stiffen up. I hear pops in my joints more time than not. One of my cousins whom I remember as a toddler, is about to graduate high school...this type gets me all the time.

But I stay grounded after watching some good cartoons.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man Easy Lover is still one of the best songs of all time!

I had this vintage t-shirts that says ' 1986 golf club' and this girl i know tells me "I wasn't even born then".

Then I realize damn. I'm old.

5. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I was watching some sitcom or movie and there was a conversation between father and son concerning music.

Father said, "but it's rock". Son says, "yeah, OLD rock".

sad...my rock went from

rock to
    classic rock to
    old rock

what's next?

dead rock?

(that actually sounds pretty cool)

6. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

I remember when MTV first started, so yes I am old. I tried to explain it to my friends at school and no one thought it sounded that good. Within a few weeks it was all anyone could talk about.

I even remember only having 2 VHF channels (plus PBS, but it did not really count for a kid) and 2 UHF channels when I was in grade school. We had the millionare dollar movie in the afternoon, unless it was preempted for some ABC Afterschool Special.

7. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

My wife reminds me of this daily.

So:

-When your wife, who's several years younger, calls you peepaw on a daily basis.
    -When you dismiss things that irritate you with a grunt, sneer and hand gesture
    -When everything irritates you
    -When you don't get carded any more
    -When kids just ask you to buy beer without asking you your age
    -When you have white in your beard
    -When you're tired at 10 pm every night
    -When you have to get creative with your combover
    -When you fall asleep in your recliner
    -When you own a recliner
    -When 18 year-old girls look too young to be attractive to you

Strangely enough, I don't have the issue with music that a lot of older posters in this thread have. I like new bands and types of music. I love the music that I 'grew up with' but 9 times out of 10, I'd rather listen to new music.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Several of the "kids" on the very first season of The Real World are now over 40 years old.

The kids on the current season were most likely in diapers when the 1st season came out.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

anytime i watch an eighties movie, i was watching "the last dragon" who's the master, shonuff. movie is 23 years old and i still remember repeating the lines with classmates. bart simpson, the simpsons is almost twenty years old. married with children is over twenty years old.

and of of course arguing with kids on this web site, not knowing they're kids and then they'll post "at my high school" i'm like wow

10. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I don't see this really happening to me...

11. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Yeah I'm getting older, but I'm also getting better.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

18 year old girls will always look good, till they start talking

13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Ha ha...They're still pretty, but MAN they look young.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

a lot of the part timer works at my place of employement are college students between the ages of 18-23 and it drives me nuts at times, mainly the ones under the age of 20. They start complaining about certain things or when I make a reference to something from the early 90s they just look at me funny. I dont feel old when I am hanging with my friends, even if they are younger than me, only at work when dealing with these 18-20 year olds.

Their eyes so full of hope but they havent had to deal with the real world just yet.

15. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

i was 26 when i first joined cl. now, i'm 32. how time flies.

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Oh lord I have them all the time. Dealing with a sister who is 14 years younger than me... and her friends.

The good news is, I am still able to talk to them without getting the eye rolls... that's when I really will start to feel old. Now I just get the crinkled brow and the "Huh?"

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

18-20 year olds say "like" too much. And their statements sound like questions when they talk.

Example:

"18-20 year old women are really hot, but listening to them talk makes me want to solder my ears shut."

Same sentence spoken by an 18-20 year old woman:

"Like, 18-20 year old women? Are, like, really hot? But, like, listening to them, like, talk? Makes me, like, want to, like, solder my ears shut?"

18. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

When I realized that when I became a Rockets fan, Hakeem was still playing. Now he's already in the Hall of Fame.

And when I was invited to talk to a computer science class in my old high school, most kids in there never heard of BASIC, and COBOL programming language.

BTW, I'm only 23 :(

19. no_answer

no_answer Member

I have some grey hairs... sure i'm the only one who notices them but still.

20. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I think I may use this as my new barometer for telling when I'm getting old.