1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You guys ever get that "wow I'm old" moments?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, May 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Words to live by. :D

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

old and cheap.

3. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Yes.

1. I went to see my cousin-in-law graduate from college, and saw one of my old high school students I taught also graduate.

2. I went on tour with my kids (I'm a music teacher) and had a birthday, and they said, "So, how does it feel to be 2 years away from 30?" My response, "How does it feel to have an F in choir?" :D ;)

sigh.

4. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I am back at college after a 18 years (I worked in the interum).

When I accidentally mention I was Class of 88. My classmates always helpfully say "88! I was born in 88."

Also on the one occasion I did actually flirt with one of these prom corsage barely dry girls at school...it was going very well...we were smiling...chatting...flirting....then I sat down...and made a random old man noise...you know the kind "NYUNNNG!"

Conversation over.

OLD!

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I have Mutombo's rookie card.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I love teasing my sister that 80s music can now be considered Oldies.

7. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I'm only 22 but I feel old when I hear about younger kids not knowing certain shows on Nickelodeon like Salute Your Shorts or Nick Arcade, giving them a "you don't know what pogs are?" kind of look.

Also when I listen to "Two Princes" by Spin Doctors and realizing it was released in 1993. 15 years ago.

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

It freaks me out when I realize there are NBA players born after me. And that in 2 or 3 years, there will be 1990s-born players.

9. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I remember when MTV used to play music. It is weird to think that there are some kids that have grown up without seeing music videos on MTV.

I was reading youtube comments on Paula Abdul's new video, and some kids were saying comments such as, "Yeah, she's decent, but a I don't know why she decided to make a song", "She's a bad dancer", or "I always wondered why she was a judge on American Idol". These kids didn't even Paula's music/choreography background.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

When I read a thread with people in their 20's talking about how old they feel.....

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I first felt kind of old when I saw NBA players and other professional athletes make the big leagues and were still younger than me.

12. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

That always feels worse to me with college football and basketball. When I was a kid, I always looked up to those players. Now it feels a little weird watching them and thinking that some of these guys are just 18-year old kids.

13. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Man....that one gets me, too. Paradise City on 93.7....crap I'm old. And I'm only 32.

I remember the first time I saw a Playmate that was younger than me. She was 18 while I was only 19....not so much an 'old' moment, but still a bit of a shocker.

Then when I was like 27 or so, I was sitting on the couch with my girl at the time and watching some 25th anniversary thing on Elvis' death. I commented that I had no memory of him dying in 1977 (I turned 2 in November), but that I remembered my dad taking me to see Star Wars, which was also in 1977.

She looked at me and said "....you were alive when ELVIS was still alive??!?" I felt ancient.

14. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Seeing Steve Francis and Antwan Jamison in their 30's make me feel old. I also remember flipping thru channels and seeing movies from like 1996 and thinking to myself "hey this should be a good movie, its sort of new"

15. Isabel

Isabel Member

Thinking I'm blending in well with the younger people around me, but realizing we can't compare our high school experiences very well, because when I was in high school, we didn't have cell phones or the Internet. Not wanting to admit this because otherwise I could have gotten away with them thinking I was at least somewhat younger.

Gray hairs sprouting out of my head - premature and not cool - I'm trying to put off the day I have to dump a bucket of dye on top of my head because I always liked it the way it was - but there are too many, or I'm not plucking them out carefully enough and taking the brown ones with them, and I've got a few too many suspicious short hairs up there.

My metabolism not liking me. Wanting to do something like jump off a very tall step or platform and realizing my knees wouldn't like the landing.

Looking at my high school yearbook and realizing we all wore completely different hair and clothes than anyone does today. Looking up these people today on facebook and they all have kids. Realizing that, as much as I like being the kid myself, I've only got so many years to produce my own kids if I'm ever going to. Realizing that my ten-year high school reunion was a long time ago and even if I saw someone there, their life has probably completely changed again by now - mine sure has.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

My question is:
    Are there any SOLUTIONS to avoid getting yourself to be the"wow I'm old" person? (except for the Wooderson suggestion :) )

Famous and rich people can be ageless. Bruce Willis can be "the Die Hard guy" until he's 85. Clint Eastwood might still can pull off a Dirty Harry movie. The rest of us not famous and rich need help.

Being deep into pop culure can be bad in that it just fades away to the next trend. You almost have to keep with the times just so you have stuff to talk about, so you don't talk about your left behind "good old days" stuff.

Continuing with the whiney old man rant : Why do we give the world to people 15 to 25? They're in their physical prime and much nicer to look at admittedly but still....Why do 25 and under claim total ownership of "fun"? I never got that even long ago. People can look better into their 40's now but really after age 25 you're already fading away from relevance....just sad.. :(

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Life is like a roller coaster, it's a slow up hill start and the end is at best anti-climatic; enjoy the middle of the ride.

You can see time pass alright; things definitely change. But you guys aren't old yet.

You'll know when you're old; s*it hurts.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

19. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Just wait until you see guys your age retiring from professional sports after having a nice career.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I got a great cat back in 92' (Marley) when I was just starting to get rolling in Austin -- had to put him to sleep last Thursday (5/1). Not so much a 'wow' moment, but those 16 years sure blew right by... :eek:

I think the main thing is sport ages -- guys my age are getting old to be playing pro ball. When it hit me that Cassell really was 38 years old in human years (not ET years) I guess that was a bit of a shock.