1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You as a fan are pathetic if you want Harden back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, May 14, 2023.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As I said, I don't know if it's true.

However Maxey is an interesting example because he's such an off and on player for the Sixers it's hard to see if there's maybe a Harden effect there or not. Why didn't he really have any impact in the game yesterday? Was it truly his fault? Was it Docs? Was it Embiid's? Or is Maxey just that type of on-off type of player?

I think it's just worth the conversation for Stone, Ime, and the Fertitta's to have which is... will Harden's style of offense help the young players grow? Did Maxey get better because of Harden? I think it's a question worth scrutinizing over a little bit even if the answer ultimately ends up being no... it's just that Maxey isn't that good, etc.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You're literally saying it again, that you just want him for knowledge on O and playmaking. That's flat out a role player role. What you're arguing is that he does certain things well. But the fact that it's "certain" things and not all things required of a star player is what makes it a role player role.

You know how you can tell? Because controlling or setting up the offense doesn't mean anything if the star player doesn't deliver. We just saw it with the Sixers. It's not as important as being the top scorer. It's not as important of being the most important defender on the team. It might be the 3rd most important function on a court.

You don't have to find anything because we both know there are no players who give you 20/10, no defense and no playoff leadership that are worth $43m/season. The closest you will find is Nash who was a clutch leader in the playoffs and still no one would pay him $43m if he were age 34 today.

I'm just asserting your description of Harden's limited job next season fits the description of a role player. It's just playmaking (he has never shown he can teach anyone anything and frankly doesn't seem like that kind of guy to anyone). You're leaving out that he's a pretty good shooter too.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I disagree that what I expect from him is anything a role player can do. On your end, you can’t come up with a single role player that can do what I expect Harden to do, which supports the point I am making. 20/10 on 60% TS is superstar territory.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I do think Harden's ability to be effective as a playmaker corresponds with his threat level as a scorer. He still runs a bit of a iso/PnR heavy type of offense. I do think his IQ is still very high in these situations, however as he becomes less of a threat scoring wise, those openings during PnR's become fewer.

I am kind of torn, on one hand I want to see how Gree and Jabari will look with a main ball handler of Harden's calibre. On the other hand Maxey and Tobias have not really been unlocked so to speak even with Harden.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why are you asking this? How can I come up with a better role player than Harden if Harden is the best role player? You're not seeing the circular nature of what you're asking for. It literally, scientifically doesn't prove anything that there's no role player that you find to be better than Harden.

20/10 on 60% TS and no defense is not superstar territory at all and he doesn't have the clutchness to make up for it. That's why there are no such players who ever made the max. It's possible with 30/10 and nothing else, but not with 20/10. That's something at the bottom tier of stats for superstars That's something we should agree to disagree on.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

those examples show that it’s not true

Are we gonna act like Jalen Green would just be a spot up shooter next to Harden? A Wemby would just be reduced to a lob catching Capela clone?

he’s a 3rd year player playing a game 7 on the road against a very good team…Maxey was arguably the Sixers best player the last 3 games of the series

30 points on 10-21 shooting…26 points on 9-20…17 points on 5-12

it’s pretty obvious that Maxey got better because of Harden…I don’t even think it’s a debate

Tyrese Maxey’s 2 point percentage with Harden on the court: 55%

Tyrese Maxey’s 2 point percentage with Harden off: 49%

Tyrese Maxey’s 3 point percentage with Harden on the court: 44%

Tyrese Maxey’s 3 point percentage with Harden off the court: 42%

Tyrese Maxey’s TS% with Harden on the court: 64%

Tyrese Maxey’s TS% with Harden off the court: 59%

Tyrese Maxey’s eFG% with Harden on the court: 60%

Tyrese Maxey’s eFG% with Harden off the court: 54%

larsv8 and YOLO like this.
  7. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

Can't believe this is even a discussion. Harden sucks, end of conversation.

rocketchamp likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

I couldn't believe this was a discussion either. Oh wait look at who the OP was. This thread was just as dumb so we know how much to take this post for. More and more posters that I'm 100% glad being on the opposite end from, further makes me feel better

Rockets only 5.5 gms back from play-in !!! | ClutchFans

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don’t necessarily want him back, but not because of him as a person or even his play style, but because I don’t think at the contract he will inevitably demand he’s worth it at this stage of career. However, depending on draft and other moves, I’d accept him. It’s a bit silly to judge someone’s fandom because they want a historically great player to return here. Drawing a line in the sand just shows you’re too emotional.

10. riko

riko Member

Maxey had his best year next to harden. Tobias will look the same next to anyone

HD729 likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Look…. You can both a Rocket fan and Harden fan and be honest about his shortcomings….

ThaRavenOfSanJack likes this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I for one respect Harden, for what he brought to Houston but I just do not see him being a good match with this team.

I think it's best if both side continue on their different paths. Harden is 33yrs old and at the tail end of his career, his Basketball Character is set. The current Rockets are still forming. Udoka can teach them the correct way on how to play correctly.

Personally, I think if Harden comes in with his LASSIEZ FAIRE style of play and attitude and Udoka is preaching Defense it can definitely be a problem.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Dumb but right. Has he proven me wrong? How many Finals series has he played in as PG? He's played with dam near every star you can think of and it hasn't worked. At some point he and you are going to have to stop blaming everyone else.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

And yet not one ring on his fingers. Not even a Finals appearance and you call him the best? Stop making excuses for a SG playing out of position just because he can.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah he’s proved you wrong for years. Absolutely hilarious you’re even standing on this hill. Clearly you’re in over your head and have no business even posting. It’s why cf’s can be such an embarrassment especially in recent years bc of folks like yourself

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How has he proven me wrong? How many more stars careers does he have to waste before you get it? Harden is a career killer. As I have said before, Harden can't lead a team out of a paper bag. Yet you want him here to destroy the already damaged youth movement.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

That he isn’t a pg like you hilarious claim. Even a little kid can understand he’s a pg. your bball iq is clearly not even up to par with that. Yet you keep trying to blabber as if you know a damn thing

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Playoff prep - Vegas on a private jet.....this is whom some of you want teaching our young players.

Piss off !

DD

coachbadlee likes this.
  19. ThaRavenOfSanJack

How could you possibly know if you've "watched him more than anyone here?"
    Some of us knew who he was even when he was still growin the beard, back in college. Just sayin'....Virtually no one on this board was familiar with his game before we got him from OKC.

20. ThaRavenOfSanJack

How could you possibly know if you've "watched him more than anyone here?"
    Some of us knew who he was even when he was still growin the beard, back in college. Just sayin'....Virtually no one on this board was familiar with his game before we got him from OKC.
    He actually was in the Finals. Granted it was with OKC and they weren't on the same level as Miami, but it still definitely did happen. Remember everyone was convinced OKC were set to be a dynasty?...
    Sports can be unpredictable

coachbadlee likes this.