1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Toast

Toast Member

Brand new season. Same old problems.

It's the freaking start of the season and I'm already upset by the Yao Only Calls. This preseason it looked like MAYBE, just MAYBE the refs would let the guy stay on the court for more than 30 minutes a game. But after last night, I'm not so sure.

Exhibit A: Yao's standing straight up with his hands straight up. Offensive player initiates contact. The ref waits ... waits ... shot goes in and WHISTLE! Defensive foul on Yao. Boom, he's out of the game.

Exhibit B: Other side of the court. Brad Miller standing straight up with his hands straight up. Offensive player initiates contact. The ref waits ... waits ... shot bounces out and ... no call.

In both instances, I'd say it's a no call. They seem to get it right just about every time it doesn't involve Yao Ming. Then there's Yao on offense. He's got a guy hanging on his shooting arm. No call. He's got Brad Miller with not only a forearm to the back (which, if I understand correctly, is a foul), but a forearm AND a second hand pushing on his back (which, if I understand correctly, is a foul). But when the whistle blows, it's an offensive foul on Yao?

There's Brian Skinner at a 45 degree angle to the ground, pushing on Yao with both arms on him, using all his might. No call.

Seriously, what game are these refs watching? How can they just ignore the rule book all game? Hopefully not all season! Yao Ming has a size advantage and they absolutely take it away from him with the way the game is called.

Game one, and I'm already fed up with it. Sorry for the rant. But surely you don't disagree?!?

2. noize

noize Contributing Member

I agree, but its just a bad night from the refs overall. Both teams are getting bad non-calls(peja,Miller...etc). I don't think this will continue, at least I hope not. I also think the refs will get use to Yao being more agressive this year. Its the first game of the season, even coaches are rusty and not as sharp. Things will get better....

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I thought both teams got the shaft from the refs last night. Just too many whistles both ways.

The refs need to realize that people pay money to watch the greatest athletes in the world run up and down the court for 2 hours a night, not to watch a free throw shooting contest. Like someone said in another thread last night, I think this has a lot to do with the NBA's sinking ratings. The games have no continuity, no rhythm. Too many stops, to many stars sitting out because of foul trouble.

Let 'em play!

4. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I completely agree. That 2nd foul on Yao was ridiculout. He was just standing there, outside the circle and Yao gets knocked on his butt. Pathetic.

And there were at least two other very questionable calls. Yao played well and he could have had a big game.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

So these days 22-10-4-1 is just average now? ;)

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Compared to the 923 points Clutch gave T-mac on the front page. Pretty average ;)

7. harumph

harumph Member

when asked about the refs, JVG said (in one of the chron article) that it was too exspensive for him to comment this early in the season.

I'd be quite surprised of they didn't send a tape to the NBA to complain about it, as that way he gets to compain without the huge fine.

8. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

its still early on in the season..the refs gotta get their A-game slowly too...they are adjusting as well :D ...but seriously...i was mad at the continuation calls they made...one was when rafer got fouled fast break..and took a shot..without taking any extra steps...the call was NO CONTINUATION....later...Shareef was hacked on the arm.....took 3 steps...and layed it in...they called CONTINUATION...2 bad calls on the same damn thing...Refs are so damn noob

9. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

[Conspiracy Theory] Maybe the refs are getting back at Van Gundy for his 'outing' of them during the Dallas series?

10. Toast

Toast Member

Nah, 'cause the poor officiating of Yao is nothing new. Otherwise, I'm a sucker for a good conspiracy theory.

For the life of me, I can't understand why they try to get Yao off the court.

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

They wanted to see the game better coz Yao was blocking their view.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

toast, stop acting like your the greatest thing since sliced bread, its been one game. Wait and see.

another thing toast: You think that you're too cool for school, but I have a newsflash for you Walter Cronkite... you aren't.
    [​IMG]