1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yet Another Yao's Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by feishen, Aug 31, 2003.

1. feishen

feishen Member

2nd Part of Interview
    This was second part of interview aired today by Phoenix TV HongKong. The first part was aired last week.

The first part is here

Maybe Zhao will be nice enough to translate for us again???

Several things interesting.

Yao said that he knew to train in China this summer isnt as good as to be in the US. He implied that he didnt have choice, all he could do now is to handle it with right attitude to gain most of it.

Yao mentioned that he did his rookie duty to carry equipments for other teammates last season for 41 times, all the away games.

He said thing he hated most is to be chase around by fans, he said that always made people companying him very uncomfortable.

When asked about his love affair. He tried avoiding talking about it first. Then he said he like simple kind of love, not the kind like romeo and juliet had.

#1 feishen, Aug 31, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2003
  2. ty185

ty185 Member

the link provided is saying "coming soon"... feishen, how did you find the interview itself? by actually watching pheonix TV? or there's another link that I'm too stupid to find? :)

as for the introduction part, please correct me if I make any mistakes:

as for the love affairs, yao says "remember, this is not about me only. love is about both or us, and I have to be considerate to my other part."

as for wang, yao says "wang is the one I was aiming at right from the start. from the first day that I started playing ball and heard about him, he has been the one I'm aiming about."

3. feishen

feishen Member

Yeah, I watched it. Phoenix TV is probably going to post the full review text soon. It was like 20 minutes talk. In my opinion, the interviewer is pretty clueless, she is more like Oprah type.

4. ty185

ty185 Member

lol. it's getting too late... don't think I can translate properly even if the interview is posted now... hopefully some chinese fans with better english can translate though. thanks in advance for all the efforts guys. :)

5. ty185

ty185 Member

I'll start whatever I can now I guess. doubt my patience would let me run for too long though. :)

Reporter: what's the most frustrating thing you are feeling right now?

Yao Ming: it's not a good feeling to be followed all day.

R: comparing between being benched in NBA and being benched here, is there any different feelings? (btw, when, where, and how did yao got benched in china? I'm a bit confused about this question here.)

YM: a bit yakky. as I said, that was a huge change in status. (and now I'm totally puzzled... :( )

R: if you are steve francise, what will you be doing right now?

YM: They have different hobbies as I do, so I guess they will be doing something they like.

R:I'm not refering to "now" as right now... I mean, what would they be doing during all the time when you are back in china?

YM: Their training is different from what we have in China. Professional players in US are very self-motivated.

I once asked my trainer, what are those players gonna do during the summer (since the team don't schedule any regular training)? they said some of the players will hire their private trainer.

That way, although it's hard to learn systems and tactics, they can at least make sure to keep themselves fit. so even though it is still not the same when compared to regular training sessions, at least the difference can be minimized, and makes them able to follow the training more easily when the preseason camp starts.

R: In other words, when you are playing and training here in china, they are training as well, right? they are not just resting during the offseason.

YM: they are not resting, but surely have a lot more free time compared to me. I'm defintely training every morning and afternoon except sundays, but they'll just have one session every day or every two days. the rest of the time would be free.

R: and they can go fishing, can stay with family. and eat, and camping?

YM: This is one of the cultural difference between US and China. as for us, our players goes to training because it's something you have to do, like an elementary school student has to do his homework. This kind of feeling (reluctance?) is definitely there. as to the american players, training is a job. after I finish my job, I can go back and rest. it's just a job. and that's the difference.

R: are you jealous about that?

YM: a bit. for me, that kind of environment better motivates me to improve, and makes me train harder, since it creates a lot of wealth as well as a sense of accomplishment.

R: in this case, since you have to come back for the friendly games and training, do you feel you lost something?

YM: I have considered about this even before I came back, about what do I lose, and what do I gain. but as training goes, the most important thing is your attitude. if I can keep the american player kind of attitude, looking at training as a part of my job, and a part of my career, instead of being forced to train (then there shouldn't be much difference).

coaches has always told us, we need to transform the mentality of "(coach) want me to train" into "I want to train". this is so very true. (how to achieve the transformation?) this is about attitude. I believe as long as you can keep this attitude, everything would be fine.

R: so you think you have a very correct attitude right now?

YM: when the environment changes, the attitude will change (subconsciously) as well. I can only try my best to maintain this attitude, be positive. I know there's still a difference compared to when I was in US, I just want to minimize the difference.

R: is that difference a bit one now?

YM: I don't think so.

6. ty185

ty185 Member

lol. now I understand why nobody translate this interview now... such a boring interview. :(

well, there are still some interesting tidbits in there though. someone please translate it? I'm too tired and bored to continue now. :)

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Here's the rest of the translation. It's a long one.

#7 dharocks, Sep 3, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2003
  8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Double post