1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yes go for Durant but don't sleep on Harrison

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slickricky, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Joyner82

Joyner82 Member

If Barnes is available and not on Golden State, every other team in the league should tank for the next 7 or 8 years because that means Durant joined the Warriors and they will win 75+ games and the title every year for the foreseeable future.

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Barnes is good on the warriors

would be garbage here or any other team

3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We should be focused on getting Korver instead.. Even in a slump year, he's shooting better than most of the league.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah it's pretty obvious your scouting reports are pretty off

5. watashi315

watashi315 Member

We are NOT going down this road. Barnes plays well in the system, but he can't re-create the same magic for other teams.

6. malakas

malakas Member

very legit wing. Sure. He is.
    You can't separate players from contracts. I would be extremely happy to pay Barnes 12-15 per just because of his versatillity and how few SFs are in the league.
    But we are talking about a 21-23 per. That's a significant amount of the capspace even with the cap rises.

I haven't seen anything from Barnes that would justify such a big payday. Oh and btw I'm well aware of the amount of the cap rise and fully prepared.
    Some team will pay him that, I don't want it to be the Rockets.

If he had an elite skill I would think differently. If he had good handles and be a playmaker who can create, or be an elite lockdown defender, or an elite shooter. But for someone who isn't elite at anything I don't want to pay him that much.

7. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

In any case, Barnes is still a work in progress. Maybe he becomes a legit allstar, maybe not, but that is at least a couple years down the road.

We need a legit 2nd option *NOW*, not for years to come. Our window is before Harden becomes an unrestricted free agent. We need to start seriously contending next year.

If you pay Barnes the max, then basically all you will have is a Howard-Barnes-Harden core for the next several years, and you still have to wait for Barnes to improve his game during that time.

I just don't see a Rockets team plus Barnes defeating a Warriors team minus Barnes. We should use our max money on players that will let us contend now.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

he turned down $16 mil per. he's going to get paid in much the same way Jimmy butler bet on himself to get a bigger payday when he turned down his own extension.

9. malakas

malakas Member

I am well aware that he's going to get paid. Doesn't mean it has to be us who should do the paying.
    And Jimmy..when he didn't get the lowball extension (btw the difference was minuscule..:rolleyes: ) he then exploded. Where is Barnes explosion?
    I would pay Butler 23 per.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm down for signing Harrison Ford to our coaching staff, would be quite the adventure.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

obviously we'll see the "explosion" when he gets a bigger opportunity if that ever happens. Until then we or atleast I will enjoy and appreciate the hard work this guy is continuing to put in. It's not something too common these days so guys that like catch my attention.

12. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Why do people think Barnes is anything but a good role-player? Paying him 20M+ would doom the franchise.

13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Would you rather have Barnes or Rudy Gay?

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes, but he's not even in the next "handful" of players.

Also, there are easily 20 players worth the MAX and Barnes is not one of them. He's barely a top 5 player on his team, which is not good even considering how good they are.

We should keep bringing up the max issue because you don't have unlimited slots to sign max players. We have Harden, and we can sign Howard to anything after we sign a max guy. There's no more room for big contracts after that so the max player you get better put you in a position to succeed with not so handsomely paid role players.

Finally, the point I brought up before: you might be worth the max to one team and not another. Barnes is a great example of that. He's worth a lot more on a fast paced team than he would be, say, on the Rockets or Thunder because of the unavoidable style of play you must at least somewhat adhere to in order to maximize your core players' strengths.

15. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Draymond Green exploded, and he wasn't given any more opportunity to do so than Harrison Barnes. Part of it is mentality, I guess. Barnes is a follower, not a creator.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Different standards for different people. I definitely wouldn't say 20 players are worth max. Max players are the ones that can lead a team to a title as the best player or have continued sucuess attempting to do so. But hey we all know players get paid based a lot on timing/opportunity and very often these days whoever is dumb enough to throw money around only to realize their mistake a year or so later.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

what are you talking about. Draymond Green exploded once he got the opportunity to enter the starting lineup. He ran away with it once that happened. And like the rest of the GSW core players they're all building off their sucuess from last year.

18. verysimplejason

5... Iggy. GS won't taste the championship without him. His defense and solid playmaking from the bench is as important as those provided by those 4.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think you're misreading him.

He's saying what you are.... when given then same opportunity as Barnes, Green exploded. Barnes has not. Barnes has been a starter. They've attempted to bring him off the bench as an explosive guy more in charge of the second unit. They've attempted to let him have more of the Green role.

He has generally not excelled. He's been best as a really really solid role player, playing off the rest of the team. His 4th quarter last night was the exception, not the norm, as far as "taking over" a game...

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Barnes has very much "exploded" in his own right and is still getting better. Last night was not some exception. he's done it on a significant amount of occasions. Very understandable how people can overlook this with who he's playing with but again its ok people can continue to question how good he really is. His play with continue to answer those.