1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[YES!!!] Astroworld returns to HOUSTON

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TdashDUB, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Grinds

Grinds Member

^^^Crap response on many levels

1) Kemah is NOT centrally located.... at all. If it is specifically to you, then you're not centrally located... at all.

2) I live by the Med Center and have no obsession with New Caney. I do however have a problem with meritless, dumbass, wussified comments like, "it's too far", "there's literally nothing out there", and "I stopped reading at Mont County." I live 3 minutes from old Astroworld (centrally located) and you don't hear me b****ing about "build it right next to me or else"

I by no means think New Caney is perfect, but it works. It's certainly NOT anywhere near the travesty some posters are making it out to be. I'm all for the improvement of Houston and this amusement park will do that.

3) Dozens of coasters.... Do you even realize who many a dozen is? It's 12. There are very few (if any) parks that even have one dozen big rollercoasters. Freaking Disneyworld only has about 10. Yet you need a minimum of 24 (dozens) to drive an extra 15 miles to support your city.

Lame, with a capital L.

Dozens!! lmao
    Thanks for the laughs, playas.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

At least its conveniently located near a flourishing methamphetamine market.

3. Mr. Brightside

If it ain't in the loop, it ain't worth s***t. How in the heck can I ride my fixie all the way to New Caney?

4. droxford

droxford Member

New Caney is about as far out as The Woodlands, and people make that kind of commute for work every day.

I'll give it a try, if it's cost-effective. Why not?

I think AstroWorld died not because of it's inability to expand, but because it got too damn ghetto. Fights broke out. It got trashed up. Crowds were seedy. It was scary. Families stopped going.

I hope history doesn't repeat itself.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

^^^^
    This on all accounts.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Theme park developers have big plans for Grand Texas

http://grandtx.com/

Venues

Grand Texas Theme Park

Big Rivers Water Park

Ballpark of Montgomery County

DownTown Texas

Montgomery County Event Center

Grand Texas Sportsplex

Hospitality Village

Shady Oaks RV Resort

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    *Larger images at the site

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

While a lot of that is true, it was more due to the debt situation that Six Flags was in at the time after a period of aggressive expansion, and the increased value of the land at the time (reliant etc.), combined with what revenues (attendance) were then. The condition of the park at the time was a combination of lack of capital investment due to above mentioned debt, age, and the area.

There's someone else on the board here that was involved with the park and can tell it better, but I forget who.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

I've never heard of New Caney before so I looked it up on google maps and it's basically South Dallas. Not sure why the folks here keep referencing 31 miles from downtown since nobody in the Houston area actually lives downtown - they just work there then commute out to the burbs.

Anyway, here's the distance from New Caney, TX to some of the larger burbs:

Katy: 58 miles
    Sugar Land: 50 miles
    Clear Lake 48 miles
    Pearland: 45 miles
    Cypress: 47 miles

9. robroy77

robroy77 Member

The best part of it being in New Caney is its easy to get too. With the grand parkway coming in that will make it even easier, and if you've never gone on 59 north its a dream. Very wide and rarely gets really bad traffic. Being in downtown wouldve been great, but with all the freeway improvements over the years its a pretty quick drive.

10. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Not sure what map you're looking at but new caney is about 250 miles from Dallas.

11. sammy

sammy Member

This is great news. Driving 45-60 mins for a legit themepark is fine.

12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

I don't see how its a big deal. People should look at theme park locations in other cities as well.

13. eric.81

eric.81 Member

How far would any of those people have to drive to get to ANY other amusement park? My guess is much longer than 90 minutes...

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Strategically left off Kingwood, eh?
    And people reference 31 miles from downtown because ANY theme park will be near one of the bigger suburbs and thus, further from all the other suburbs. You think Kemah is close to Katy (62 mi), Cypress (61 mi), Sugar Land (44 mi), or Kingwood (45 mi)?

15. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Confirmed today, and referenced on the park map that JR posted earlier -- Greezed Lightnin' from Astroworld will be one of the coasters, out of five total on opening day.

1 person likes this.
  16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Something more centrally located would have attracted many more visitors. The 2 hour round trip is a deterrent.

17. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Well actually, when I was a kid, I lived out in the Jacinto City area and it took us about 45 minutes or so to get to Astroworld. I don't really see much difference unless you live South down 45. If you live in Spring, The Woodlands, Humble or anywhere on the East side this is considerably closer. If you live in Katy, it's a hell of a lot closer than San Antonio, which is the next closest theme park, not counting Kemah or the Pleasure Pier in Galveston.

18. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Well, no kidding, but how are they going to get 150 acres near downtown or some other central area. They reason why Astroworld sold was the land was getting too valuable to ignore.

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Looks like it might also have the Texas Cyclone - #54 shows as Wood Coaster.

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Kemah is a theme park? I thought it was were a bunch of people that don't speak English watch their babies play in a giant fountain....