1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yep, He's Running...Gore on The Decision

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Nov 14, 2002.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Gore may not still be bitter, but I don't mind saying I am. And there is no question that his quote to start the second paragraph is correct.

By Dan Balz
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, November 15, 2002; Page A01

In his first interviews since conceding the presidency to George W. Bush almost two years ago, former vice president Al Gore calls the outcome of the 2000 election "a crushing disappointment" and criticizes the 5-4 Supreme Court decision that put Bush in the White House as "completely inconsistent" with the court's conservative philosophy.

"I believe that if everyone in Florida who tried to vote had had his or her vote counted properly, that I would have won," Gore said in an interview with Washington Post Magazine staff writer Liza Mundy for an article to be published Sunday. "I strongly disagreed with the Supreme Court decision and the way in which they interpreted and applied the law. But I respect the rule of law, so it is what it is."

Gore told ABC's Barbara Walters, in an interview to air tonight on ABC's "20/20," that he "absolutely" believed he would become president when the Florida Supreme Court ordered a recount of all disputed ballots in the state, making the result all the more emotionally difficult to accept. His wife, Tipper, said in the Post interview, "I still believe we won."

Gore gave the interviews as part of a promotional tour for "Joined at the Heart," a book he and his wife have written about the American family, and "The Spirit of Family," a book of photographs the Gores have selected depicting American families. He will do other interviews, televised and in print, in the coming days, including an appearance on CBS's "Late Show With David Letterman" tonight and NBC's "Saturday Night Live" next month, as part of a carefully planned political reemergence.

In neither the Post Magazine article nor in excerpts of the Walters interview released yesterday by ABC does Gore answer the question of whether he will run for president in 2004, a decision he says he will make by the end of the year.

But as he began his book tour this week, Gore already was making political news. On Wednesday night, he told a New York audience he has "reluctantly come to the conclusion" that the only solution to the "impending crisis" in health care is a "single-payer national health insurance plan" for all Americans. That marks a sharp break with his past position, pushing him sharply to the left on what could be an important issue in the next presidential campaign.

In the 2000 campaign, Gore battered rival Democrat Bill Bradley for advocating a health care plan designed to move the country toward universal coverage. He said Bradley's bold plan would wipe out projected budget surpluses and damage the country.

Gore offered no details of what kind of single-payer system he favors. Spokesman Jano Cabrera said yesterday that Gore will address the issue in a speech. Cabrera called Gore's comments on health care consistent with his recent vow to "speak from the heart and let the chips fall where they may."

In the Walters interview, Gore reflects not only on the 2000 election but also on last week's balloting in which Democrats lost control of the Senate and seats in the House. "I think that it was a sweeping loss," he said. "It was a massive defeat for the Democratic Party, and we have to accept that and come out fighting as the loyal opposition, not just in name but in reality. . . ."

Gore acknowledged his shortcomings as a presidential candidate in 2000, telling Walters, "I think I could have communicated much better, more clearly and forcefully." He said his debates with Bush hurt his candidacy, adding that he wishes he had not sighed audibly during the opening debate while Bush was talking. "I was exasperated by some of the things, a lot of the things, that he was saying," he said.

Gore said he does not believe Bill Clinton's sexual indiscretions contributed to his defeat, telling Walters that voters were "plenty smart enough to distinguish between his [Clinton's] personal life and his accomplishments as president." He acknowledged that he and Clinton had a stormy meeting in December 2000 over campaign strategy. "I wanted to clear the air," Gore told Walters, adding that "it worked" and that he and Clinton remain "comrades in arms."

After the 2000 election, Gore chose to stay in the background, against the recommendations of some supporters. "I could have handled the whole thing differently," he told the Post Magazine, "and instead of making a concession speech, launched a four-year, rear-guard guerrilla campaign to undermine the legitimacy of the Bush presidency and to mobilize for a rematch. And there was no shortage of advice to do that."

Gore rejected that advice, he said, because "I just didn't feel like it was in the best interest of the United States or that it was a responsible course of action." Gore also told Walters, "I wanted some time off."

The emotional impact on Gore's family was significant. Daughter Kristen Gore called the 2000 election experience "pretty devastating," while Gore said, "I'm not saying it was easy for me emotionally. It wasn't easy." He said he and his family prayed together not to turn bitter over what had happened.

Before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Gore was gearing up to challenge Bush, particularly on the economy. "I felt the economic plan that the administration had enacted was a catastrophe and would create serious problems," he told the Post Magazine. "And so I was looking forward to speaking out on that."

Instead, he embraced Bush as "my commander in chief" in a speech to Iowa Democrats a few weeks after the attacks. "I didn't have an impulse to criticize him because I felt that he did a terrific job in the aftermath of Sept. 11," he told Walters.

Gore appeared to take back comments attributed to him during a private meeting with contributors last summer, in which he suggested that he listened too much to his political consultants in 2000. "I take full responsibility for not being able to get more votes than I did," he told the Post Magazine. "I give full credit to the people who helped me in the campaign."

Gore said his 2000 running mate, Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (D-Conn.), should run for president if he wants to, regardless of Gore's eventual decision. Lieberman has pledged publicly not to run if Gore does. "He hasn't made that pledge to me," Gore told Walters. "If he wants to change that, that's . . . his prerogative."

Gore's comments on supporting a single-payer health care system caught many Democrats by surprise. Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, the only announced candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, called it "politically untenable." Dean favors moving the country toward universal coverage but by using the current employer-based system, not through a single-payer mechanism.

2. Refman

Refman Member

It wouldn't have mattered what happened in Florida had Gore taken care of business in his own home state of Tennessee. Funny how he lost his home state and nobody bothered to notice.

BTW...it's also really funny that most people who criticize the Court's ruling in Bush v. Gore have never bothered to read the opinion. It is a very logical opinion and showed a clear cut way that Gore could have had the recount he desired. The fact is that the Florida Dems weren't interested in having uniform rules for the recount so the Court struck it down. Recount fairly or don't recount at all was the gist of the opinion.

If interested read the full text of the opinion. it can be found for free at findlaw.com.

3. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Gore is a dick.

4. Refman

Refman Member

I don't agree with Gore's politics, but he seems like he'd be a decent guy.

5. Refman

Refman Member

This is a great reason for Gore to NEVER become President. A single-payer system will complete the implosion of the healthcare system. Doctors will flee the profession in larger numbers than they already are...hospitals will be understaffed and overworked. It will be a disaster...one that will cost us lives.

6. michecon

michecon Member

Gore? Gone.

If he's making those remark as of now, he has little chance in 04. Not a smart politician.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

P.J. Carlisimo or Al Gore....

Who's more annoying??

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Member

I'd rather have Carlisimo in the white house :eek:

9. Refman

Refman Member

Would he appoint Latrell Spreewell as Secretary of State? :eek:

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

If the 2004 Presidential election is a rematch of the 2000 Presidential election, I'm moving to Amsterdam to open a Texas-themed "coffee shop", y'all.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I think Gore would make a good president. Nothing great. Nothing spectacular. But he's good enough to do the job. And that says a lot by itself.

12. Smokey

Smokey Member

Anyone think Gore could actually beat Bush in a rematch?

I think it'd be close, but Bush would win...just my opinion. If the Dems want a chance, they'd be better off running someone else.

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Lockbox.

Honestly, Gore still has egg on his face from acting like a bitter sore loser.......I don't think he'll have much chance. Hell, would he even win his party's nomination?

Ahhh well......I am not affiliated with any party, persay, but I know I cannot stand listening to Al Gore speak. Four years of that...and I just might have to shoot myself in the face.

"Buehler? Buehler?"

"Fry? Fry?"

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

I am not a big fan of Gore but he would have a better chance of winning the electoral college than Daschel (sp?), Liberman, Kerrey (sp?--the Mass one) or Gephardt (sp?).

The only guy I can think of in congress that I am aware of that I think would be formidable would be John Edwards. If it isn't Edwards I think a popular governor from a Southeast or Midwest state that voted for Bush last election is the best bet. Basically the guy has to be a Washington outsider who has won inroads in Repub country or he has to have a fair amount of charisma and persuasiveness--the ability to destroy Bush in the debates both on substance and style.

15. t4651965

t4651965 Member

Gore is toast if he runs again. In an effort to get back in good graces with the far left, he is becoming a big government liberal again. He won't recover from this-

Thursday, Nov. 14, 2002
    Gore: I Want Socialized Medicine

White House wannabe Al Gore has called for the kind of socialized medicine he once denounced.

Speaking Wednesday night to an unidentified "community group" in New York City, Gore said in response to a question that he had "reluctantly come to the conclusion that we should begin drafting a single-payer national health insurance plan," Reuters reported today.

"He offered no details on his proposal, which would be a radical shift to the left from the current employer-based U.S. health insurance system."

Gore said, "We spend so much per person on health care, if we spent it in a different way, we could have not only the best health care system in the world, but we could have everyone covered."

According to Fox News Channel tonight, the announcement stunned Prince Albert's handlers, who were scrambling to make sense of the shift. Gore once attacked rival Bill Bradley for proposing such a scheme, which even Hillary Clinton's failed White House task force on health care rejected.

"Under a single-payer plan, a government agency or trust would collect all premiums and pay all the bills for comprehensive health care for all citizens. The idea, similar to the nationalized system used in Canada, has been kicked around in health circles for decades but has never been considered politically feasible," Reuters said.

Note that even in leftist-dominated Oregon, which narrowly went for Gore in 2000, voters last week voted 4 to 1 against a single-payer health system.

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

I hope he does run. He'd be competitive and he'd add a lot to the debate. I hope a lot of other formidable Democrats run too. That'll force Gore to become a better candidate.

For now though, I'm with Howard Dean and hoping for more choices.

As for the health care thing, oppose single payer if you want but please propose something else in its stead. The current system is not working. There are far too many uninsured or underinsured Americans.

17. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate

Sounds good to me. :D

18. Refman

Refman Member

I don't know what the answer is. It is a definite problem. A sibgle payer system would cure the uninsured problem...but if there aren't any doctors left to provide services because they've all been bankrupted...what does it matter?

19. The Cat

The Cat Member

Since he already beat him once, yes.

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Prove it. ;)