1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Year over Year: Jalen vs Alpi (w/ some Data)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Jan 17, 2023.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Last year, both Jalen and Alpi had 55% TS% but I had thought Jalen was a better cornerstone because of the more places on the court he can be a threat. This year the game seemed to slowed down for Alpi but Jalen has actually regressed and seem to be forcing more,.what changed?

Shot selection: I had felt this year when Jalen drives, even if he couldn't get to the basket he's taking a shot. Jalen is shooting 16% more from 3-10, and relatively less from right under the basket and the 3 pt. Alpi on the other also increased from 3-10, but almost primarily from reducing 3 pts which is a bad shot for him.

Letting the game come to them (or not): %FG assisted for Jalen is down 10% in both twos and threes, showing that he's trying to do score himself instead of reset and moving the ball. Alpi on the other hand has %FG increase by 10%, backing up what I'm see which is when he gets the ball and it's not in a position to score, he moves the ball and a lot of times it comes back.

I still see bright future for both youngsters but Alpi has definitely taken a step that Jalen didn't in figuring out NBA basketball.

Source is basketball reference: Shooting

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenja05.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sengual01.html

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

basically trade green and filler for the #1 pick and then build around alpi and sidekick wemby's mama.

3. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

tbf, i was a 'jalen only fan'...dun't know it was since when i started feeling concerned about this kid's postgame quotes n his leadership presence on court, and now it's his second yr, gradually it comes to me that his level of immaturity is pretty horrible, almost close to KPJ's:

i dun't worry about jalen's offensive skills which is lack of diversity for now, dun't worry about he not yet a gym rat, i dun't worry about sometimes he looks pretty floppy on defensive end and so on, i only worry that he might never be mentally ready just like he never ready to step up in the fourth qrt.

being the second pick means you born to be a starter, got much more PT than others lower than you, but always 'on the road' does not mean you can reach THE destination, there are always ppl works harder than you n more athletic than you in a queue.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Huh, Trade Green, GOSH I wonder who has been saying that for 2 years now?

DD

hlmbasketball likes this.
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The board has a basic assumption that when we get a real PG, KPJ will move to 6th man or wing, but right now could Green beat out KPJ for the starting off-guard?

I don't say that to denigrate Green, but rather the coaching. Green has enormous potential but there is no greater burden than potential. Many good players have wilted under the pressure of expectations. You need a smart coach to help unlock potential and prioritize your effort. You need a smart coach to keep you grounded and tied to the team. You need a smart coach to help you turn weaknesses into strengths. You need a smart coach to see how you not only fit today, but how you will fit in the future. Same with KPJ, Sengun, Bari, Tari, and others. We need much, much better coaching to figure out what we have.

Basketball is not the same as baseball. Baseball is largely an individual sport--you field alone, you throw alone, you bat alone. Basketball is a team sport and you cannot look at tanking the same way, particularly when you have young talent. You have to give the team an identity and encourage teamwork. To mention another sport, right now, we have a bunch of rookie QBs playing behind an offensive line that gives up 20 sacks a game because they are coached by the equivalent of a high school Driver's Ed instructor. You just can't make judgements about potential right now, with this coach.

I could stomach intentionally bad rotations in pursuit of the tank if I saw an identity developing. I can stomach losing if it's a result of youth and learning the game the right way. I can't handle bad rotations and no identity with player regressions.

Most of all though, now is not the time to trade potential for mediocrity--which, I must say, is somewhat expected given this organization.

cryout75, Rashmon, fchowd0311 and 3 others like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You thought the TMac trade was a win as well . . . so there is that

Rocket River
    *grin*
    Lateral Moves are not wins

topfive likes this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

cryout75 and Shark44 like this.
  8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Cool, does it include all metrics? Don't see the shooting (location details) section

9. xaos

xaos Member

Ah no my bad. Didn't read the first post and glanced at the links. Was/am multi-tasking

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Well right now is really not a good time to trade green. His value is probably at an extreme low. Kj martin and alperen has to be at the top of trade value. At this point we wait and don't make moves that make us marginally better.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Basketball reference also has a BPM stat under advanced stats which measures a player’s overall contribution to winning. The year over year improvement, or lack thereof, is even more striking. Mirrors other similar stats such as espn’s rpm and 538’s RAPTOR.

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

I got absolutely roasted for proposing trading Green to get a Second Top pick this year (like Banchero or Ivey)before the draft occurred . . . . I was getting "He's a cornerstone player. . . He would be the best person in this draft. . . You must be a total idiot" . . . . Etc. Fast forward to today, I'd say about 50% of Clutchfans is ready to move on from him. My what a difference a few months makes. Maybe the media wasn't wrong for giving him just 1 vote and it was for the second best player in the ROY race. Yikes!

DeBeards likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Year over year? Is a pattern of one now a pattern?

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. H. Christopher

Fatty also thought Dmo was better than Sengun

Rocket River likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

50% of Clutchfans don't want to move from Green lol. This is a basic phenomenon of the internet. The loudest voices create a sense of a larger amount of people hosking those opinions. If you notice the vast majority of people posting in these threads asking to give up on Green never liked him in the first place maybe because they really liked Mobley and are still hurt over that or they really like KPJ or Sengun over Green from the beginning and now are just reveling over what is most likely going to be some temporary gloating.

Right now Green is having a rough stretch. So people who typically defend Green are just going to avoid just having discussions because of shitheads like you.

Sengun and Green have played 1 and a half years of NBA ball. That means a mere one month of solid play from Green and a few weeks of Sengun struggling will completely flip the script.

THAT Is how fickle these player vs player comparisons are for 20 year olds. A couple of weeks of solid play is going to have the media say "is Jalen Green the best player in his draft class".

Remember literally a month ago it was Green and Wagner ahead of everyone else. Especially during that stretch where we won against teams like the Bucks, Suns(twice), Sixers, Hawks BECAUSE of Green.

And btw, NBA GMs are NBA analysts still have Green and Jabari as higher level assets than Sengun

#15 fchowd0311, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  16. fchowd0311

I guarantee you that Green nets more than Sengun in the open market.

GMs care more about outlook than a few weeks of great play for 20 year olds. Jabari also would net more than Sengun.

I think people have a hard time disgesting that players like Green and Jabari are going to look a lot different at 24. Sengun has a multiple years of pro experience before the NBA. Which means he has added polish and bball IQ and has a head start in that regard. He's closer to his ceiling potential than Green or Jabari.

xaos and Dobbizzle like this.
  17. xaos

xaos Member

50% would trade for Ivey? Lol

75% didn't want to trade for lamelo.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/jalen-green-for-lamelo-ball-would-ya.318177/

harold bingo, theDude and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

The one thing you can be certain of from me is a month stretch of bad play from Sengun is not going to make me post threads and comments about giving up on him.

harold bingo likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

It’s not a pattern, it’s called improvement.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

The people that really liked Mobley aren’t hurt, they are just being proven right. At this point you would have to be delusional to argue otherwise. And no nba gm would trade Mobley for Green, that I can guarantee you.