1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[YCT at it again] Conservative Group to Hold Mock Immigration Sting at UT

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jayhow92, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is speculative and vague enough to be unlikely, and actually completely irrelevant. Classism goes both ways and is just as slanderous and distracting whomever the target. Particularly in the case of affirmative action, they're generating awareness and advocating judicially and electorally validated positions in an environment where moderated debates and published commentary would garner little if any attention or impact. Socially liberal and anti-war students have recognized the same obstacles for the last forty years and have been far more disruptive to staff and fellow students.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In some ways I am glad that students are doing things like this. Even though I don't agree with their goal and think it is stupid and inflammatory but if you are doing something politically stupid and inflammatory you might as well do it in college.

This stunt by the YCT is also likely to backfire by raising the debate about immigration, both legal and illegal, and giving those who support things like the DREAM act and immigration reform a better chance to be heard.

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

They're just building the Roves and Abramoffs of the future. It's a feature, not a bug.

4. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

The YCT nutjobs are an embarrassment to my university.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. The sting is sending me mixed signals. It sounds more like a liberal bleeding-heart stunt to demonstrate what a burden it is to be undocumented and how disruptive deportation is. It only sounds anti-immigrant because of the student group that is putting it on. Rival groups could probably leverage that to turn the conversation.

2. I don't understand at all the argument that it defies the honor code. Individual opportunity and responsibility? Can someone connect the dots for me?

3. Attention whores. Their leadership will probably go far in politics.

4. I wouldn't hire them based on the fact they don't even have a budget for how many gift cards they'll give out. Terrible project management. Add to that their methods seem to run counter to their aims, and they seem like obnoxious people anyway. Politics is the only safe home for them.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just heard on the radio that the YCT is cancelling the event because they fear that university officials will crack down on them for violating the honor code.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It seems like the YCT are fully aware of what they are doing.
    Teetering on the line, generating as much controversy as they can and pulling out when things get too hot.

8. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The YCT never had any intention of making the affirmative action debates reasoned. It's all about creating an agenda that serves their chosen narrative. The best example was when they made the white man's cupcake cost MORE than the Asian cupcake. They were just ignoring fact to spin the narrative as the white man being oppressed. They're intellectually pathetic.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

here's the guys in charge of the event, Lorezo Garcia. Yep, looks like he's racists against hispanics to me.

[​IMG]

10. False

False Member

Cowards. I hoped they would do it as I agree with JuanValdez that the event would hurt their cause and because they would get shut out by counter protestors. Once they got completely shut down it would make more national news.

Alas cooler heads prevailed and what could have been a great advocacy piece for those that are pro immigrant is now wasted.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Honor code? I thought that was an A&M and/or military/Christian college type-thing. Even so, they should have secured counsel upfront and gone on with the protest.

12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I am completely against illegal immigration. However, this is the wrong way to go about publicizing the issue. Demonizing people for little to no purpose or "for fun" is simply not respectful. On the other side, though, people need to quit becoming enraged over something that is really not a big deal. By giving YCT attention, you are simply fueling their fire.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

With respect to those two groups in terms of college admissions policies, yes; but there are all kinds of Affirmative Action scenarios that would disproportionately harm whites more. Furthermore, even with respect to college admissions the population disparity could mean that more whites are harmed than Asians regardless of the percentages of each group. And in all cases AA would still be to the benefit of blacks and Hispanics, at the expense of whites and Asians.

14. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

bunch of hypocrites in this thread...When liberal groups on campus shout down conservatives and generally act like assholes are praised..When conservative groups do the same they're tea party nut jobs.smh :/

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Find me a liberal student organization that did a mock "hunt the racist white man" event... If you do, I'm sure there was backlash behind it.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No liberal groups on campus do anything like this. So...
    I'm no fan of outspoken political organizations of any political orientation.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

in what way are the posters here hypocrites?

do you have examples of liberal groups on campus that you bring up?

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's more like any time conservatives get called out for their behavior the usual suspects respond with "both sides do it" but don't actually provide any evidence to substantiate it.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Acting like an ******* isn't what makes someone a tea party nut job.