1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's Value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by linzhihao, Mar 23, 2008.

1. ibm

ibm Member

you seem a long time rockets and nba fan to me, just like myself and a lot others on this bbs. and your opinion is respectable (unlike some haters'). i guess we just have to agree to disagree sometimes.

2. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Yao's value to Les has reached a point of depreciation as far as I'm concerned.What I mean is that many of the Chinese will still be Rockets fans and those that aren't are all part of the deal.There is too much downside risk while the clock ticks away on our window.The history of giants with foot injuries in the NBA is well documented.It doesn't usually get better from here.
    And personally I don't want any more seasons wrecked.The Rockets would get back MAJOR value...Look I wouldn't be saying this if I believed we would see the same Yao as 2 injuries ago.Now though we need to get back some mobile,quality size along with an all star to help Tracy...maybe picks too?
    Time to sell and play it safe......

I know the bigman is integral to success in the NBA...esp. come playoff time,but he's gotta be on the court and we could get a king's ransom STILL.....SO,DO IT LES.Step up and deal this guy I respect so much.

3. roxwin

roxwin Member

4. ibm

ibm Member

a tad to early to give up on the big fella, imo. we'd at least wait till he fully recovers and see what he can do next season.

trading yao of course is not unthinkable. if his foot becomes walton-like, it will be time to take the loss. to give up now is too early. and since trading a superstar almost never gives you a fair value in return, to give up now is not much different from later. in other words, if yao's injury is really going to taint and shorten his career, we're doomed anyways. mcgrady is virtually the same situation. potential injuries to your stars are jsut the risk a team has to take.

5. leebigez

leebigez Member

See that's why I respond to ur insight, because we can disagree, but its not anything as in a personal attack. As long as we're talking hoops, its all good.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Never been tried because it's impossible to get 2 top 5 NBA players in their primes through trade. Iverson is no TMac and Carmelo is certainly no Kobe. Terrible comparison. Neither of them even play defense or know how to pass. LA sucked because they lost one of the best players in basketball at the time, not because they lost a center. It's talent, not position.

7. CometsWin

Kobe is a better player than Yao and Jordan was a better player than Ewing. I don't need to talk to any "experts" to figure that one out, thanks.

8. CometsWin

Right, TMac and Kobe are a much better pair than Iverson and Carmelo. Iverson is like 34 years old dude. My goodness...

If Carmelo were 5 years older and Iverson were 5 years younger then that would be a good comparison.

9. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

I definitely wait until next season,but when he's displayed the goods for awhile I send him.

It just seems however much upside exists,it is negated by the risk now, plus we'll get plenty (including the insurance ),as soon as he establishes some semblance of health and consistency.Yes,the Rockets might miss out on some upside but that's a risk i'm prepared to take versus the flipside.I just see it as time to pull the trigger when it's established that he's healthy.

Depending on the deal we could very well need time to get everyone on the same page too.

10. ibm

ibm Member

this makes some sense from a business perspective. but i won't go that route. this is the first time yao's had an injury due to overuse. all previous ones were freakish accidents which anyone could've had. if you take that direction, then we need to get rid of both #1 and #11 and essentially rebuild; because mcgrady's back issue is like a time bomb as well. that it has not gone off for a while does not mean it won't, eh?

11. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure if total commitment is necessary immediately in that situation.While I agree we could reload in a big way and have massive organic growth I can't help but think there is a nice window with what we get for Yao while keeping Tracy.What you say makes sense on many levels but I have more faith in Tracy playing his role and staying healthy for awhile.Whether it's the new warm up,the witch doctor,or a combo.I just see the BIGMAN foot deal as a bigger problem vs.TMac accepting a role for awhile whilst we contend.All offers listened to .....you know?

I know about back injuries and it's tough.......Still,I think I would parlay Yao into Veteran athleticism and talent.....Size must be in there too.
    And have Tracy operating in Rick's offense minus a big stationary center.We need a solid but fluid guy at the 5.

12. ibm

ibm Member

interesting thoughts. but a "solid but fluid" 5? can you realistically think of any? maybe brad miller has some years left if under adelman? i don't know...

13. leebigez

leebigez Member

I don't to turn this into a trade yao thread, but I've said this before. I could send him to the clippers for Kaman, Thomas, and the lotto pick and feel good about my team.

U really don't like trading in conference, but the clippers are, the clippers. Brand and Maggette will opt out and the clippers will never put enough talent around him to be a threat. The rox get a 16ppg 13reb 3blk post guy that 2 yrs younger, a versitle big forward that can play the 32 mins behind the 2,3,4 spots and a lotto pick which would be top 10. The difference from yao to kaman isn't that big. If we're talking about this yr and going forward.

Its a gamble, but its all about getting good value. All sterling wants to do is be .500 and sell suites and luxury boxes.

14. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

IF we were to trade Yao, which is a big if, the only good options are stars who play on crappy teams and are old enough to where they won't want to rebuild around him (ie- Al Jefferson/Chris Bosh). Therefor, IMO, the best option is Elton Brand. He has one more year left on his contract I believe, and the Clips can market the hell out of Yao in LA. Outside of this season, Brand has had no injury problems in his career, and has been as reliable of a 20/10 guy as you can get. He is still young, and he fits perfectly into our system with his athletic ability, shooting touch and defense. He also gives us the post up option that we will miss with Yao. He is not tall enough to be a C, but finding a servicable C with the MLE shouldn't be too tough a task. Scola and Landry will be fine at the backup PF/C spots.

15. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

I know we would need post up capabilities for the playoffs and everything.We need be able to play the halfcourt game....win both ways.

To wit...I hate to say it,but with our team perhaps an athletic 4 /5 that can bust a little.... with Bigs on the bench...A mix of 7 footers and athletes to cover it?
    A whole year of Carl Landry and Luis Scola will help defray the cost.

And yes true centers ARE so rare now,much less a special ordered one.

16. ibm

ibm Member

yao gets doubled. kaman don't. and that's the biggest difference b/w the 2 right there. plus kaman very well could be a one-time wonder. and what do we need thomas for? what position do we let him play as a starter? 2, 3, or 4? or you mean playing him frm bench?

not a good deal.

17. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

This thread needs to be burned. Go find me another 7-6 center, arguably the best (at least top 3) in the league.

18. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

I think we need more athleticism back,but that lotto pick IS enticing...And even though I see Kenny as being overrated,it's a lot of value.He might not be the most aesthetically appealing person,but Kaman has made huge strides of late.That guy is getting it...Kind to think of it.. if we're talkin Kaman and the Lotto...I'm in.The Rockets can fill their athletic needs somewhere else.Besides the lotto becomes a very valuable commodity ( see Shane)

And no doubt your right about the captain of the Goodship Lollypop...Sterling's ALWAYS worth a phone call...even better if he's wringing Rocketland.
    Whether or not someone likes that deal,that is the general idea for sure.Put some talent,athleticism,and experience back around Tracy and Shane.

#158 Plowman, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  19. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Do we really want a caveman?
    [​IMG]

20. ibm

ibm Member

so you'd like to see #11 and #31 as our core w/o an excellent big? not a winning formula in the west. not in my book.