1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's Value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by linzhihao, Mar 23, 2008.

1. ibm

ibm Member

i know, i know... i've said it earlier that you can't really compare players of different positions. i was just trying to make the debate more simple.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

for teh system and coaching staff that we have, building around tmac would be better if we get a legit PG.

but in general, you want yao.

but i don't think both have proven enough for us to truly keep them regardless of what happens. tmac is 0-6 in his career in the playoffs and is injury-proned.

yao has not even been the clear-cut franchise player and when he has that with tmac down, he hasn't led this team anywhere. he hasn't dominated the playoffs.

so i don't think we should really ignore all trades to these 2 guys. i hope morey would listen to trades if they IMPROVE the team.

right now, if they stay HEALTHY, together, i think they can do big things. but they're not always healthy. yao last year really disappointed me in the playoffs. tmac remains injured and his intensity goes up and down like a schizophrenic patient.

again, if some teams offer us an all-star + a top 5 pick for any of these 2 guys, we should REALLY consider it. adelman is our coach now. if we can get more athleticism, shooting, and smart players, trading one of our 2 stars is not out of the question.

3. leebigez

leebigez Member

linzhihoa- I read this board probably everyday regardless of a fictional star rating. I probably watch or listen to 95% of the Rox games. I probably watch 4 nba on a nightly basis. I pride myself on being a student of basketball, not a blind fan. I'd rather be honest when assessing players as opposed to seeing this greatness that they don't have.

Maybe I used ''asian followers'' wrongly, my bad. For those that just started following the rox because of Yao think the franchise never existed before him and can't survive without him which is totally false. Those new followers overvalue yao's on and off court importance to the Rox. On the court, he's the best center in hoops, yet he's never made 1st team all nba. Off the court, the same followers think the rox benefit more than any other team because of chinas backing of yao. As I said, yao is more valuable and open more doors to the nba than solely to the rox.

The current nba revenue sharing program has any income attained outside the 75mile radius isn't local, thus goes into the pot that is equally divided. The owners get to keep all local revenue from local cable/radio, suites, concession, and parking. IMO that that asian beer company doesn't pay much more than budweiser. Toyota didn't pay any more than reliant or minute maid. The whole idea was value, which I said he's a valuable, not the point the rox can't get good value. Shaq in his prime was a dominant, franchise changer. How do I know? He's taken every team he's been on to finals. Every wing player was instantly considered and allowed tops at his position.

I've said it a billion times, since seeing yao from yr 1-6, we know he's a quality post player. That's not even debatable by anyone, but to say his production can't be replaced isn't true.

So if I offended any new rox followers, my bad. I'm just saying if he was traded next season, 2/3 of the posters will stay here and talk rox, while the other 1/3 will follow Yao. Some will argue whether the rox got enough, while others will talk about system and gelling. All in all, the divisivness on the great forum is always between fans of the rox, and fans of the rox because of yao. Bottonline, The Houston Rockets have a lot of fans with or without yao. Its the Houston Rockets, we cheer or criticize every player that wear the uni. Players come go,some longer than others, but The Houston Rockets belong to Houston. If u or anyone else get offended or don't understand, I don't know what to say.

4. ibm

ibm Member

1. no one imo will offer an actual allstar + top 5 pick for mcgrady - given his mileage and contract - at this point of his career.

2. yao for an allstar + top 5 pick, if the deal is on the table to be looked at, imo it will be the rockets who get the short end of the stick. i'm assuming 2 things on this one - the other team isn't offering a superstar, and yao comes back healthy.

3. adelman has his own tricks no doubt. but his system ain't so much deviated from good fundamental bball. ball and body movement is all it is. while it is different from jvg's predictable offense, it still requires a very good or dominant big man to win games.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

you're right about tracy. unless he has a crazy playoffs, he probably will pull 2 starters + a simple first round pick. tracy's value is not very high on the market right now as it should be.

but i think you're overrating yao's value. he hasn't been healthy for 2 years now and you want a superstar + a top 5 pick back? even miami right now would not trade their pick for yao straight up. yao hasn't dominated the playoffs nor has he shown he can carry a team by himself at least to the playoffs.

if miami offers me marion + a top 5 pick, i would highly look at it, as would morey. trust me on that.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't. You are wrong. As is leebigez.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

i said "look at it." you don't think morey would look at the deal, for a guy who has missed about 30 games the past 2 years with no proof that he'll stay healthy the next few years?

i never said the trade should occur. i said morey will be tempted to look at it.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

The only player I'd trade Yao for straight up is Lebron. And even then it would be a hard decision. Dwight Howard would have to be part of a package to deserve consideration.

9. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

As to who's the better pick within the system, I'd say that depends. If the plan is to have five guys standing around on the perimeter passing the ball to each other than I think Yao is expendable. If you like the idea of a dominating inside presence then you probably want to stick with Yao.

As to a trade, I say an all-star and a top 5 pick works for T-Mac. It also works for Yao if and only if the Rockets have another dominant big man in their pocket, either through a draft pick or trade.

10. rockets11

rockets11 Member

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

i don't think the cavs would even answer your phone call. lebron is the most untradeable player in the league right now.

orlando won't make that trade b/c yao is older and he's injury-proned.

let's be realistic. yao's value is low right now, and tracy's value is even lower. all these trade proposals are for fun b/c most teams don't want our true stars b/c of the value houston wants in return.

our best bet is to hope they both stay HEALTHY b/c if they do, we have a great chance next year. imagine if both play 70+ games, we could easily get a #1 seed. then the road to the championship would be much easier.

but health is the only reason i would be willing to part with yao or tracy.

12. choujie

choujie Member

I don't think this is being realistic. Shaq, who is almost done, was just traded for Marion.

13. TMc1

TMc1 Member

Your post is obviously biased against YAO. Have you really watched Yao play this season? When he's healthy, he could dominate the paint against most of the team. He draws double team and create open shots for his teammate. Only the guys playing on the court know how hard the game is without YAO.
    At this era of NBA, you just can't find many legit center like YAO and I'm sure he will value way much than Tmac in the market, which is a simple fact of economics. Why did Suns trade Marion for Shark? It's all about playoff.
    You said YAo didn't dominate the playoff. That's true. Tell me which center in the league can dominate the playoff this era? Playoff is not all about one player dominating the game but how a mismatch could hurt the opponent more to help the team win.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

that's why i said an all-star + top 5 pick for yao. that's pretty good. but you're not going to pull a superstar back like lebron/kobe/howard/wade out of yao.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

even you said when HE'S HEALTHY. he hasn't been healthy the past 2 years.

and i'm not being biased to anybody. the only untradeable player to me right now is carl landry considering his age and ceiling. every other player should be dispensable, including tmac and yao simply b/c of their history of injuries.

IF IF IF IF he's healthy, i've been hearing that for far too long now. i need results. i need playoff success. i need championships.

16. TMc1

TMc1 Member

The thing is you can't control their health, can you? Star players get injured all the time. Paul barely played the 2nd half of last season and David West got injured all the time, but I don't think NewO will consider trading them.
    Landry is a good player and has potential to become a great player, but he ain't gonna become the man in the paint who can dominate as Yao did.

17. choujie

choujie Member

You just try to spin it. You also said Miami right now would not trade their pick for yao straight up. That's just plain laughable.

Yao won't get a superstar back doesn't mean anything. Those superstars won't get Yao either.

Superstars are not meant to be traded when they are in their prime unless they ask for it. Rockets wouldn't have got Tmac if he didn't want to leave Olando. Pat Riley said he'd trade the entire Knicks team for Michael Jordan excpet Ewing.

18. TMc1

TMc1 Member

I hope they're both healthy too. I guess the team currently can do is to bet on one season both of them are healthy and with the role players we have currently, We will have a good chance to compete for the Championship.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

i don't think miami would do that, if that's the #1 pick in the draft. i they get the #1 pick, pat riley would not trade it straight up for anybody but lebron.

i said that's the best we can do if we were looking to trade yao, an all-star and an unknown hyped top pick.

20. wangchunxu5319

wangchunxu5319 New Member

r u a chinese? :D