1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's Value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by linzhihao, Mar 23, 2008.

1. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

You're contradicting yourself there when you state that teams have to acquire multiple stars. Furthermore if Kobe's your example of a franchise player do I really have to point out that he's been one and done in the playoffs ever since Shaq left?

Two, I completely disagree with you on what would happen if Yao were dealt to the likes of Minny or Memphis. Put a 7'6" guy in the paint who can pass out of the double and the rest of the team will start to look pretty damn good.

Finally, I think it's a bit early to be deciding whether Yao belongs in the HoF or not. It might be worth it to wait for him to retire and look back on his career then...

2. ibm

ibm Member

i agree.

if yao wasn't from china, the only difference, imho, probably would be that he may not be perceived, treated or talked 'bout the way he is.

3. ibm

ibm Member

completely agree. (kinda wanted to type in along the same lines, but was too lazy.)

4. leebigez

leebigez Member

I'm just going to talk about a couple of your points.

What are owners supposed to say about their own players. Of course every gm thinks they have a franchise player, but a true franchise player can take scrubs into the playoffs. Go look at some of the teams Hakeem and Moses played with. If Dream had a guy of Mcgradys caliber his 2nd or 3rd yr in the league, he would have 6 rings instead of struggling to get out of the playoffs.

Do you really think Kupchak offered Kobe for Yao? If that call was made, which it wasn't and morey turned it down, he is the dumbest gm ever. Kobe is a future hof player, very durable, and a true franchise player that will be at his peak longer than Yao. That's not hate, that's just the flat out truth!

I just think many recent followers of the rox, and we know what Yao means to his asian followers, but they act like the rox will fold up without him. The rox got approved for the arena before Yao,not after. If it wasn't named the Toyota Center, it would have some other coporate sponsor. This is the Houston Rockets. 2-time nba champs. Home of 2 of the greatest centers to play in the nba in Moses and Dream. This isn't the Yao Rockets.

Its kinda irritating that some has placed such a high value on a guy that has never led this team out of the first round. The rox with or without yao will continue to be a legitimate hoop team. This isn't the Charlotte Bobcats, a upstart without any tradition.

Yao does have value and its a good value, but it wouldn't signal the end of the rox without him. In fact it would just be another chapter in the book because I know we could get back equal value. I would even have to carry a gun to rob some of the gms in a yao trade.

5. blender

blender Member

So by this logic, Les Alexander shouldn't hesitate to go way over the luxury tax and bring in a third star player. After all, he's more than making it up through all the tie-in business deals in China, right?

Sounds good to me. Get 'er done, Les!

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You call that asking high? Do you mean that as in you were high when you were asking?

7. leebigez

leebigez Member

That's why I'm almost certain that les doesn't make the money off yao that some thinks he does. The owners pockets are fat from luxury suites, concessions,parking, local tv,cable and radio. That's why the knicks,bulls,lakers are the most valued franchises in the nba. The Garden has 400 luxury suites at about 300k a pop. Not only that, the ny sports network and the local radio is why the dolan don't care about paying dollar for dollar in luxury tax.

If les got all the reward money from china because of Yao, why would he ever worry about the luxury tax? Why would he trade james for jacksn and keep bonzi? I mean the scrawny little 2m bonzi was making shouldn't have been a deal maker to get under the lt.

Internatinal money, jersey sales, and everything is equally divided among all 30 teams. If a deal is cut dealing with the rox outside of the 75 miles radius of houston, it isn't local anymore. Its not even debatable that Yao is valueable, he's a good player playing a position where there isn't a lot of quality players. The rox will survive and revive when and if yao is traded or retires. They recovered after moses, and through some years they have rebounded since hakeem left. The front of the jersey always prevails.

8. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

It all boils down to playoff success. Do I really need to point out that Kobe, your franchise player, hasn't been able to get out of the first round of the playoffs since Shaq left? Now there may be some hope but that seems to be contingent on Bynum--another skilled big man.

A lot of people, myself included, think that elite basketball starts with the center position. On those terms there's only one other guy out there right now who's comparable in upside to Yao, and that's Dwight Howard. But Howard isn't the offensive package that Yao is. And in terms of a team coached by Rick Adelman I think I'd rather have a center who demands a double team in the paint and who can pass out of it. In terms of Adelman's offense I think Yao's a much better fit than Howard.

Finally, let's face it. Barkley was right. This is Yao's team now. He's the centerpiece of the offense. It's no coincidence that when Magic, Kenny and Charles were talking about trading somebody they were unanimous in their decision to deal T-Mac.

9. tsunami

tsunami Member

On the contrary, you are nuts not the thread opener.

10. leebigez

leebigez Member

I just said get a team to the playoffs as far as a franchise type player. Chuck,Kenny, and Magic were the 1st ones to say the rockets wouldn't even make the playoffs without yao. I listen to their opinions, which is just like the opinions of posters on this board.

Once again, my opionion, Yao and tracy are the 2 blks of this franchise. For some reason, of the 2 blks, the rox play better without yao than they do without tracy. We can cite schedules or whatever, but the record doesn't lie.

I don't think either at this point in their careers can carry the team for long stretches of great play. Either by injuries or will, they can't do it. Tracy took scrubs to the playoffs in Orlando,but never got out the 1st rd and Yao has never taken a team into the playoffs as head dog. I think the rox should ride these two out and see where it ends in 2 or 3 yrs, but as of right now, I wouldn't extend either. Durability and high mileage would lead to their next contract being a less than what they're making now.

11. heypartner

heypartner Member

and here people tell me "heyp, why don't your post anymore" so then I post my take on Yao' Value ... totally revealing my how love for Yao....and I get ignored because ppl would rather argue.

sigh

so much for tryiing to calm down the GARM!! i guess

12. vcchlw

vcchlw Member

I hope you are being sarcastic. This is the most ignorant statement I have read in a while. You know Lebron James is also backed up by Mexico, Puerto Rico or maybe Venezuela. :rolleyes:

13. heypartner

heypartner Member

that's right. sometimes you just have to respond to the "most ignorant statement you've read in a while.

you go girl

14. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Member

15. beijing boy

beijing boy Member

trade yao-------
    I have to say sometime i think it's not a bad idea to the team nor Yao himself.

16. heypartner

heypartner Member

thanks for your contribution that will do nothing more than fuel the fire.

well, maybe you can contribute something, beijing boy. What is the chinese expression for "fuel the fire."

do you have one.

17. soulsong999

soulsong999 Member

It's actually quite similar, in Chinese it is "adding oil to the fire".

Sorry I am not Beijing boy but I think this year is gonna be an emotional year for all Chinese (Olympics and other political issues that I won't mention here). I fully understand the sensitivity that is on show here on this thread...

Yao's value is undeniable as a hugely marketable star and a great franchise basketballer.

What is more, Yao is also a great role model and a decent human being. To me, this is the best in all of his perceived values.

18. automorph

automorph Member

I buy everything with Yao on it......... :p although stuff has began to slow

19. pryuen

pryuen Member

Naaaaaah, the correct Chinese proverb for that is 井底之蛙, the frog sitting at the bottom of the well。 :cool:

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Can you provide any evdience that Morey turned down a Yao for Kobe deal? This Rockets team with Kobe instead of Yao would win a title this year hands down. Yao will never be the caliber player that Kobe is right now, never ever and not even close.