1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's signature post move and how to pass out of the post

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pacmania, Mar 26, 2009.

1. pacmania

pacmania Member

First off, I don't think the current staff is doing as good a job as Tom Thibbodeaux used to do with Yao's game, analyzing video with him and teaching him the right moves he should use. Pointing out to him his strengths and weaknesses. I guess with Thibbodeaux the saying is right that "you don't know what you got till its gone."

During his time, Yao was averaging around 26 points a game even with tracy mcgrady. He even had a playoff game against Utah where he scored 33.
    The thing is , there was this post move that Yao would regularly go to during those times that has been absent since the Detroit game when he posted 31 points. I like to call it Yao's "signature move" or "trademark move" because he is really the only post player who executes this move to perfection. I hate to be repetitive , but this is the move i'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jss1xEzh5b4

These are the pertinent clips from the Detroit game.

Here is a video from the recent pistons game at the one minute mark (1:00) you see him hitting the clutch basket using this move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DM9NgbmyAY

t the three minute , thirty two second mark (3:32) of this video, you can see "the move". Yao is pure money on this move and is more difficult to stop because he doesn't have to dribble a lot. He usually executes this move before help arrives.

Then on one of the crucial plays of the game at the eight minute and fifty second mark (8:50) of the video Yao executes "the move" once again. Pure money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeaN2CzSfyg

Since the detroit game , I have not really seen him using this move. I pointed this out in a previous thread.

Also the proper way to pass out of the post if you are a seven foot six center is the OVERHEAD PASS. Hold the ball up over your head with two hands and pass it to the open man. Just to be safe before passing he can even FAKE this pass so it is not stolen. that one handed pass is so lame.

He really is playing poorly right now. We need him to atleast dominate with single coverage to be successful in the playoffs. GO ROCKETS!

2. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Agreed on the fact that he's not playing well lately.

Disagree about Thib's being a better post coach than Sikma. Sikma knows a thing or two about playing in the post.

To me, its all about how assertive Yao is on both ends. Sometimes I find myslef thinking before a tip......

"Well Yao, are you gonna rebound tonight?

These games lately where Yao takes 11-15 shots just aren't gonna cut it. Demand the ball and attack the basket on the catch with a one or two dribble power move. Or just turn and shoot. (Which he has been doing more lately)

Less of the hold it, then dribble it, then shoot a fade away.

3. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

Tom Thibbodeaux is a great defensive coach... Those Rockets teams had a huge lack of talent, the entire scoring load was entirely on Yao and T-Mac. That's why Yao's stats were better them. In my opinion.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I never considered him to have a signature move. The Rockets think he's most effective when he has a foot in the paint on the catch on the left block, and he just steps into his jump hook. That was probably Hakeem's most efficient move also.

His baseline fadeaway on the left block is good. His face up jumper or face up + power dribble into the paint on the right block is a good move. His baseline spin move on the left block is pretty good.

One thing Yao hasn't been doing late is just dunking the ball. He seems to go through stretches where he'll aggressively look to dunk it, and stretches where he just tries to lay it up softly. I'm not sure if that's a mental thing, or its the defense.

5. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

That jump hook is his most reliable shot IMO, and damn near impossible to block. He hardly ever beats his man off the dribble enough to get within "dunking range" of the basket. What pisses me off is when he gets a board under the basket and just tries to put up one off the backboard. I say "tries to" because it has been and will continue to be blocked. CRAM IT, YAO!!!!!!! Geeeeeeez.

6. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

I agree that his jump hook is very efficient..Also turn around jumper and fade away are looking excellent..But he needs to be more effective on getting rebounds...Mutombo should have a talk with him. Maybe throw some bowling balls at his head untill he catches them and HOLDS ON TO THEM

7. ccada

And while we're on the subject of Yao's moves in the paint, what is with that lazy-ass, one-handed, kick-out pass that Yao does when he turns into the paint and the double team is coming? It's a TO half the time, . . they're just WAITING for it. He's got to cut that s**t out.

1 person likes this.
  8. s3ts

s3ts Member

Yao's coming up clutch at the last 5 minutes of the game is very rare.

There has been a thread that talks about how Yao is one of top 30 or so for crunch-time numbers.

Yao's presence on the team is undoubtedly important, but a championship, in my eyes, isn't possible without the addition of a clutch player.

We really need a DWade type player. If TMac fully recovers, I wouldn't doubt the Rockets going far in the playoffs.

9. pacmania

pacmania Member

I didn't think we would see Yao and the word "lazy" in the same sentence but I agree it is a very Lazy pass. It is a very quick pass but also very risky and the weakest thing about this pass is you cannot FAKE the pass ( well unless he cuffs the ball with one hand).

10. ccada

I agree. These teams that we'll be facing in the playoffs won't exactly have to pour over hours of film to see that when the double's coming, all they have to do is stand in the passing lanes . .

11. pacmania

pacmania Member

In my opinion, this is his most unstoppable move. If you analyze the move carefully, it is the move that best allows him to get his shot off in rhythm with the defender pushing against him and quickly before help arrives. The hook shot is his most efficient shot if he gets the ball near the rim in scoring position. But he receives the ball with quite a distance from the rim, It is difficult to make a hook shot with the defender's body up against him.
    Hakeem also had the "dream shake" but it was more of a turnaround fade to the baseline, and that was pure money as well.

I saw a lot of the moves you mentioned against Utah and somehow (except for the hook shot from close range) they just weren't that effective. Especially that baseline spin move on the left block against Millsap
    where was blocked by Kirilenko. He just needs a good mix of the right moves that work. He used to shoot 60% or something like that during his early years. Its sad to see his game declining.

12. pacmania

pacmania Member

I agree to a certain extent. part of the reason he was getting more points was because our offense before was centered around him and Tmac. But he used to shoot close to fifty percent from the field. He hasn't looked this bad (well just the past three games) since his rookie year. I hope he finds that groove before the playoffs. It is just embarassing right now.

13. ccada

Yao is shooting almost 55% from the field this season. All players have off games, even Kobe, Lebron, DWade, etc.

14. pacmania

pacmania Member

Unfortunately , I would have to agree. Unless, Yao finds his mojo from the thibbodeaux days, we will have trouble being competitive against elite teams. We need an elite clutch player to be an elite team in the playoffs. But I still believe this group of guys are gonna be a pleasant surprise in this year's playoffs.

15. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Yao's shooting almost 55% from the field. This thread is embarassing, especially considering Morey keeps saying Yao's playing the best basketball of his life.

16. pacmania

pacmania Member

I stand corrected. These last few games though his shooting has been atrocious. Hopefully , he bounces back.

17. ccada

I understand what you're saying. If Yao has a great game, it's almost an automatic win. He'll be fine. I'm more concerned about Battier.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yao has never been good against fronting defenses, not now, and not with jvg tom. Usually Tmac had the ball at the end o the game and so we don't remember teams just fronting him, but when they did, at least we had tmac to make plays. Now we with no Tmac we just notice it more. Yao is having one of his most efficient scoring years. We have 7 guys who can prob score double digits on any giving night.

19. 2deep

2deep Contributing Member

Yao's played pretty well in the post lately with the exception of the Utah game.

From what I see, his issues with Utah mainly come from him trying to force the action too much, he knows Okur, Millsap, Boozer, etc...shouldn't be able to guard him and he rushes into his moves. This leads to him being sloppy with his body and with the ball causing two negative outcomes:

1) He tries to "bull" his way down low with jerky, shoulder lowering moves with which, even if he doesn't make contact, he gets called for the charge

2) He gets solid position, tries to make a move to quickly and brings the ball down. Okur isn't a great defender but he is relatively adept at slapping the ball away ala Chuck in the low post.

The third likely outcome is a direct result of number one in which after getting called for the charge he catches the ball and quickly settles for a deep turnaround fadeaway to avoid the charge and double team.

The deal is, against other times Yao does a good job of being patient in the post and taking what the defense gives him, I think the pressure of losing to Utah over the last couple years has worn on him and made him press too much. Hopefully he can get his mind right and dominate the Jazz going forward into the playoffs.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

i dont know if its the injuries he had in the past years or is he out of shape, but hes foot work are not as quick and decisive as before.

cuz right now he seems to dribble a lot and forcing his way to the hoop, or when he gets double team he doesnt know what to do. Before when he used to get double teamed, he just takes 2 quick steps and does a jump hook or turnaround J.