1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's restaurant taking Chinese food to new heights

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vtkp99, Feb 17, 2005.

1. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

I think Houston has one of the lowest costs of living (according to Forbes)

2. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

It doesn't seem big enough to sit 440, does it? i should ask my nephew, he's already had Peking duck there but too bad he didn't take camera with him.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I thought it didn't open until Monday?

4. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Member

Dude I live in San Diego and let's just say it is damn expensive. I'm currently own a 2 bedroom condo (1350 Sq. Ft.) that has a average market value of $550,000.00. A frickin' condo for half a mil...seriously, my gf and I have cotemplated just selling the darn place and moving out to the mid-West to buy a real home that actually has a yard.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Okay tell me how much does a house cost? I would imagine at least 500 - 600 k for a 2000 sf plus house. My house here is only a fraction of that.

6. generalthade_03

I propose to YOFs to meet at YAO once a week to plot a strategy against the YAO HATERS!:) :)

7. Man

Man Member

:) I totally agree. I love food

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

well you know what some people say.

"With lower standards, comes lower costs"

9. DavidS

DavidS Member

Yep.

Back 7 years ago I remember looking around for jobs around the US. During the DOT.COM boom there were a lot of jobs popping up in Silicon Valley. Huge contracts; $130-$200 per hour for some contracts. It was crazy.

So, salaries were great. But the COST of LIVING in those areas were horrendous. It almost nullified the salary you were getting. For example, in order to take advantage of your salary, you'd have to get a appt/condo/house 2-4 hours away from Silicon Valley. So, the trip alone to work each morning was ludicrous. If you wanted to live close to work you have to get a SINGLE BED ROOM apartment for $2000 a month! It was the same for New York; tiny loft. Either you pay for high living expenses or you pay for gas.

Here in Maryland seemed to be a little lower, but with competitive salary rates. Contracts not a high as NY or CA, but certainly not as high cost of living either. It was a happy median.

What's the best salary/cost of living area?

The Texas Triangle: Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. Yep. Why? Low cost of living but competitive rates; although not as high as other areas. In the end, the cost of living is what saves you the money in Texas. It's just so damn cheap to live there. Nice not having state taxes either.

Why so cheap? If I had to guess it would be because it's flat and HUMID-HOT! :(

#49 DavidS, Feb 17, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  10. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Everybody in Houston loves food, we are #1...;)

11. dsmack

dsmack Member

I believe it probably was about 20-40 wetbacks.Just my guess.:)

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Member

13. Man

Man Member

Fattest city represent ;) :)

lol anyways I think I'll go to this restaurant when it opens. Really..1.5 million is a lot of money imo..for a Chinese restaurant too haha.

I hope to become good friends with Yao there :D

14. canoner2002

With that money, you get a studio on Manhattan. So don't complain too much!

15. RocketForever

RocketForever Member

It depends on which part of the West Coast. Take the Bay area for example, you cannot buy a 2000 sf house there with 500-600k, unless it is in a really bad neighbourhood.

#55 RocketForever, Feb 17, 2005
  16. canoner2002

They've been doing test run and entertain people in their circle for a while.

17. canoner2002

Yes, you can. I did some research when I was thinking of moving there. As long as you go a bit inland, then you can get that price and safe neighborhood. The catch is summers will be hot as hell.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

damn I have so many Houston jokes right now. BUt I'm afraid R2K will get mad and since he is my lifesaver on the weekends cuz o fmy job, I cant afford to piss him off =P

19. RocketForever

RocketForever Member

Well, I am talking about the Bay area. If you go too much inland, it's not the Bay area. :)

#59 RocketForever, Feb 17, 2005
  20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I think it would be awesome for someone to email the stuff about Yao loving Peking Duck to lancet.