1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's offseason activities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gasnapalm, May 7, 2004.

1. gasnapalm

gasnapalm Member

Translated by Pryuen from the yaomania forums

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/p/2004-05-03/1029870012.shtml

As a summary:-

Yao Ming had arrived back into Houston. The article was written on the 3rd day after the abrupt end of the Rocket's playoff series with the LA Lakers.

After an interview on the regular Houston Rockets Big Hour with Andy Yao, Yao Ming told Andy Yao: This is the last time this year for me to talk with you; also last time I will be surfing on the net; it's complete vacation and rest for me !!"

At the season's wrap-up session at the Toyota Centre, every of the Rox players were given 2 souvenirs; the first one is a framed photo of a panaroma birds-eye view of one of the scene of the Rockets vs LA Lakers playoff match in the Toyota Centre; Shaquilles O'Neil & Co. were retreating with Yao Ming & Co. initiating an offense and advancing on the court. Yao Ming said he would bring it back to Beijing, and hang it in the dormitory of the national team.

The 2nd souvenir was that every Rox player was given an extra bonus of US$ 6,000 for their hard efforts of reaching the playoff. One player suggested that they would voluntarily give away portion of their US$ 6K bonus as a bonus pool for some of the coaching/training staffs of the team, who had provided them assistance/services the full season. So, each player just wrote onto a paper the amount he is willing to part with; some wrote US$1K, some wrote US$2K. When it came to Yao Ming, he just donated the full amount of US$ 6K !!!

Upon saying farewell to JVG, JVG passed to Yao Ming a thin paper file of 13 sheets; on it, it listed Yao Ming's statistics of his rookie and sophomore season: his ppg has gone up from 13.5 to 17.5; his rpg from 8.2. to 9; his FG% from 49% to 50%; his FT% from 81% down to 80% etc.

On the other 13 sheets, it listed all the statistics of the rookie and sophomore seasons of 13 great centres of NBA of the past; chronologically: Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Nate Thurmond, Bill Walton, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Moses Malone, Ralph Sampson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Rik Smits, Shaquille O'Neal, Alonzo Mourning.

Yao Ming fares better than everyone of them in terms of free throw %, but did not fare better on other stats; his ppg is better than Smits and Walton only. His rpg is better than Smits only. When Andy Yao and Yang Yi were making reference to 29 ppg of Shaquille O'Neal and 22 rpg of Bill Russell, Yao Ming said: Why look at theirs?? Look at Rik Smits'. Andy Yao then rebuked Yao Ming: Then are you satisfied just be compared with Rik Smits ??

Yao Ming went to visit Rudy T that afternoon; Rudy had not shown up once in Toyota Centre for the full season; according to Yao Ming, Rudy looks great, though a little thinner; he now takes up golf seriously as a pastime; goes to play golf almost everyday; and he plays well at 70 something

Yao Ming plans to stay in USA until mid May; he will then go back to Shanghai first, and rejoin the national team by June.

Yao Ming bought Yang Yi & Andy Yao dinner at a Korean barbecue restaurant at the Korean City (??) that night.

2. sydmill

sydmill Member

Yao fans are going to kill Yao for comparing himself to Smits...

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Unless someone brings up that Yao was just joking, then methinks we'll once again have a ten page thread about whether Yao has the mentality to be a great player or not.

#3 m_cable, May 7, 2004
    Last edited: May 7, 2004
  4. kitbatboi

kitbatboi Member

Yao Ming -- Spotted at Soeul Garden (4-30-04)
    I was having dinner with my wife and cousin at Soeul Garden located at Long Point and Blalock.

We were talking and in comes Yao Ming, man this sucka is TALL. He was with two buddies (average size guys). He sat next to our table. Everyone kept coming up to try to get a picture and autographs but he turned down most of them, because he trying to get his grub on. Anyways he signed a couple of autographs for some kids.

Lets see now:

What did he eat? -- Bar-b-q pork and beef with veggies and rice
    What did he drink? -- Beer (Japanese Beer)
    What did he wear? -- just regular collar shirt and dockers.

What an experience, this was my first time eating there too. I will remember this for a long time...

I have pics on my camera phone, but they did turn out good.

5. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Regular? I doubt it. You try to find a shirt and pants that will fit on Yao. Everything he wears must have been customized.

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

nice to hear that Yao donated ALL his bonus pay to the staff. Although he has developed into a good player, I am even more proud of him for his kindness/generosity to people.

7. Sane

Sane Member

I'd arther him donating 2000 and comparing himself to a better player.

Heck, he's already better than Smits ever was. Does that mean he's not going to try to improve anymore?

8. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

There are ethical issues associated with that donation thing because it was made public. The ethical issues arise in miy mind because the money will be given to "his coaches". Am I alone on this feeling?

As for the Rik Smits (sp) comparism, I'd like to believe that he was just trying to be humorous and not trying to aim for that plateau. Deep down inside of me I still think and believe that Yao desires to be great, and he will surely get the subtle hint JVG was trying to deliever.

9. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

it's clear to me from reading the Chinese that Yao was joking about the Smits comparison.

10. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

My roommate (who reads Chinese) says from the original article you can easily tell Yao was joking.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Sort of puts another spin on the "Yao will walk 'cause he doesn't like (insert one....JVG, Ewing, CD, being misused in the offense, etc.)" types of garbage threads.

The Smits comment was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

12. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

the problem is the original translation at the top.

Yao said "why don't you look at Smits" to tee Andy Yao off... and once Andy Yao got pissed Yao Ming burst out laughing.

13. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Contributing Member

IF U WANT TO SEE YAO HE GETS HIS HAIR CUT AT IMAGE ON BELLAIRE

14. oj411

oj411 Member

are you trying to give anthony more business?

15. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

is that the one by the hong kong market?

16. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

[​IMG]

A hair-cut like this?

:confused:

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yao is clearly a SOF and a closet Yao hater. All of his public comments about Steve are glaringly positive.

18. brasss

brasss Member

Yao needs to find a new barber. He needs a better haircut. he should grow it out and slick it back and then grow a goatee so he can look like a basketball playing triad member and scare the crap out of his opponents.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, you are exactly right. And you wanna know something else. Steve was on TNT tonight and it is so blatently obvious that he is a YOF. Them guys just riding each other's jock straps. They ought to quit doing that stuff and start acting like the Fakers.

20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

lol!