1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, May 6, 2007.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I thought this last game really shed light on Yao's progress, and brought up questions about his future. I think that the regular season isn't so much of a seeding exercise, as a time to develop the skills and strategies that are going to carry you through the second season. Was Yao and the isolation offense exposed in this series? Unfortunately, we don't get another chance to find out this year so we have to speculate.

Before the Utah series started, I would have put money on Yao abusing Okur badly. After watching the series progress to culminate in Yao being completely nullified in the post, I am very unsure about the way we used him.

Several years ago, the raging debate was Yao's strength. Many people argued that Yao's future was in the high post. JVG thought otherwise and over the next 3 years made us eat our words. Yao outscored Shaq in a historical head-to-head matchup early this season to put an exclamation mark on this reality. Yao was the best low post player in the league.

Unfortunately, Yao couldn't really get into the low post against the Jazz. As I mentioned before, we don't get to watch him play against Golden State to find out if he could against them. Very, very unforunate for us. How much did we not learn in the series loss???

-In a playoff series can Yao abuse every team in the league, except Utah?
    -Has Yao not fully recovered from his broken leg?
    -Will Yao be able to get low post position and use it against the Jazz if the role players open the floor for him?
    -When his low post game is sputtering, can we get him the ball in different ways... like McGrady getting him rolling to the basket in the 3rd quarter tonight?
    -Will Yao and Tracy ever be able to function together or will we have to watch 5 more years of them alternating offensive flourishes on their way out of the first round?

I would hate to watch another year of the same, just to end the same... with Yao going 0-10 on low post called plays. He's a great player, and I just can't believe there isn't a way for him to wreck any team's defense if used properly.

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

if it comes down to Yao or Tmac, I vote hold on to Yao

my reasons are that Yao still is on the upside of his career - wait until he's had the chance to fully get that knee back into shape, he will be the force as he was early in the season next year.

also because McGrady, as much as I love him, is unquestionably on the downside of his career. Lets trade him to a contender (a la Finley to San Antonio), so its not all on him to get further in the playoffs.

lastly a 5 man is still the hardest place to find a great player, much less a superstar like Yao Ming. It's a guard orientated league, so again holding onto Yao makes more sense (unless we get offered KG and some pieces)

3. jjfjj

jjfjj Member

Yao's physically flawed. He's what he is.

4. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Nothing was wrong with Yao, his problems during the entire series was that he tried to do TOOOO much. He was too one dimensional and that made him predictable. He went away from some of the things that made him unique. It was sad to see him finally get it in the 2nd half. You saw him use his baseline fadaway more, and by doing this he kept Okur off balance and was therefore able to get some deeper positions. Like Hakeem said during the interview, he should develop a few go to moves that will compliment each other. Hakeem had fadaway and the power jump hook across the lane which made the defender honest. Yao has to do the samething.

5. delwater

delwater Member

Yao Tmac stay and shane too...others....gone with the wind..

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

give tracy ONE offseason after sitting out last offseason b/c of the back to state that claim.

a lack of an offseason contributed to his shooting inconsistency. he never had as inconsistent of a shooting season as this yr. it was painful to watch. and shooting is a RHYTHM thing.

i still believe tmac's best yr will be next yr. this yr he learned to perfect his playmaking role. next yr, he will regain his offensive prowess.

his jumper def. failed him in this series. he has to focus on that.

7. Doctor Robert

Fading away doesn't help get better position, and Yao used the fadeaway A LOT in this series. That is the shot that he continued to miss over and over again.

In the second half he his one fadeaway, then tried it again on the next possession and missed. He had a string of good plays generated by putbacks and passes from McGrady rolling to the basket after they apparently abandoned offensive plays starting in the post.

8. Doctor Robert

We shouldn't and we won't trade Yao or McGrady.

9. Doctor Robert

He played better during the regular season, and had a long break in the middle of the year.

10. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

but still VASTLY inconsistent. he might have shot bad this series, but had we advanced, might have gone off on the warriors.

it seemed like his rhythm was off b/c he basically didn't practice to hone his skills during the offseason. whatever practice time he had was during time off during the rg. season.

and that long break during the middle of the yr was to REST the back. he didnt do jack either.

again, shooting is reptition.

11. WannaFly

WannaFly Member

yeah,i agree.
    Yao should find another way to help the team when he can't make scores in paint...

12. bougainvillea

bougainvillea Member

Don't know if it is a good option sendin g Tmac away. I think Tmac and Yao Ming are not cosistent as they should be, though not as good a choke artist as Dirk. But the question is : Do we have better options?

13. LakersPride

LakersPride Member

Yao needs to develop quickness. he needs to counter-react better. thats why Boozer dominated in this series.

Yao still has to develop alot of skill hes to raw not to mention TO SLOW!

14. Doctor Robert

Yao shot better during the regular season... that comes after the off-season, and before the playoffs. If he shot better in the regular season then the "rhythm" should have carried to the the playoffs. What does that have to do with the off-season?

McGrady has a bad back. Yao broke his leg.

15. Doctor Robert

I don't think we should count on Yao developing new physical traits to make him more effective. Maybe if he grew a third arm, he would get more rebounds too.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I still don't think Yao is over his injury. Vast difference in his game pre and post surgery. He is still soft regardless, but at least pre injury he was a very efficient offensive threat.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

First thing Yao should do is try this new once a year osteoporosis drug, Zoledronic Acid. It strenghens bones and reduces bone breakages in the arms and legs by 25%.

Source

18. LakersPride

LakersPride Member

Yao is a GOOD offensive player. but i can't believe how inconsistent he is with rebounding.

you're 7'6 FT TALL!!!! you should average 14RPG atleast everynight.

19. bougainvillea

bougainvillea Member

Man, not every one is born that quick or can become that quick. We just need a better game plan.

20. ritou

ritou Contributing Member

Everyone stays except JVG. That is it. 2nd round guaranteed.