1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's country is suffering, needing your help!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yaorta, May 13, 2008.

1. yaorta

yaorta Member

through redcross is a good way

2. poprocks

poprocks Member

I just hope that China remembers the donations because someday when a natural disaster strikes in the US we could use their help. They have most of our money already anyways.

3. Lovemachine2000

As a native of Sichuan province, I thank everyone who has offered help toward relieving the people affected by the terrible earthquake.

poprocks, your humor is always appreciated :)

4. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

HAHAHA

5. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

"They have most of our money already anyways"

???
    Didn't get you.

6. JustWannaChill

Don't feel so happy and excited yet. It is not going to happen if twisted-minded mofos like you will just stay away from this thread. You'd better spend your time celebrating the human tragedy with your mofo friends. I don't know if you are a religious person but I am sure one day you will regret what you are hoping for. Sinful wishes will always come back to bite you.

7. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

we buy alot of stuff from them. go to walmart and try to buy some frozen fish fillets.. I was like 'wow, we import fish from china too?'

but hey, if it weren't for china, those fish fillets would cost me twice as much.

back to the subject,

I hope the situation gets better in china and people should help if they can.

8. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

What you said is true, but I won't call that "They have most of our money already anyways". That claim is too far from the truth.

9. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

yeah you are right.

we buy our oil from the saudi's
    cars from japan and germany
    foie gras from france

but that's what makes us Americans. we can buy what's best from the whole world.

i'd stay away from the TVs from China like Haier (obvious gave lots of money to the NBA), i'd stick with the good old japanese and korea

til Funia makes better tvs, i'll stay japanese on the tvs

10. ty185

ty185 Member

just for record, China donated $3 million for the katrina relief efforts.

also just for record, the Bush administration has donated $150,000 for the once-in-a-century snowstorm in China earlier this year.

again just for record, US just announced that $500,000 will be donated to China for the earthquake relief efforts.

I forgot about the exact amount of aids US handed out during the tsunami disaster earlier, but I believe it's somewhere around $350 million.

I do apreciate the US government's help so far in all the natural disasters. In a crisis like this, every penny is welcome and really helps. :)

still though, as a Canadian with Chinese origin, I feel it's my responsibility to assure everyone of my friend: China never forgets friend's help. We DO believe in lending a hand whenever others are in need. Commies or not, I really believe that attitude is going to make the earth a better world.

11. poprocks

poprocks Member

Cool,

Always good to know. Help in a crisis is always remembered.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/05/14/china.vause/index.html

China's earthquake victims 'eat bitterness'

CHE JIA VA, China (CNN) -- In Che Jia Va, survivors of the deadly earthquake that struck central China wait patiently for aid. They don't complain.

Among them is a woman with back injuries who cannot walk, and moans loudly. Soldiers eventually found the woman and took her away.

Sheets of plastic protected some of these victims from the rain that came down after the quake. But despite a lack of food, water, phone service and supplies, most of the victims were undemanding and uncomplaining -- some playing cards to pass the time -- confident they would be looked after.

The only complaint we heard was questioning why the government did not give a warning that the quake was coming, the way officials did in 1976, when an earthquake virtually destroyed the city of Tangshan, northeast of Beijing, killing at least 240,000 people.

Many of the people we ran into were still in shock. "It's horrible. There is devastation everywhere," one woman said.

There is a Chinese adage: "Eat bitterness." Or as Americans would say: "Grin and bear it." The Chinese we saw practice that well.

We've had some of the nicest people help us out. There was a guy who had a packet of cookies and wanted to share them, because we were reporting the quake story.

A woman at a gas station, which has a $13 limit per purchase, let us buy $100 worth for our two SUVs. She just came up and helped. There actually were soldiers at the gas stations to ration it out.

As my producer, Wen-Chun Fan, and I did our best to navigate around roads blocked by mudslides and chunks of debris, we saw the aftermath of Monday's 7.9-magnitude quake, the epicenter of which was about 100 kilometers (60 miles) from the city of Chengdu in Sichuan province.

The quake was so powerful that homes in Che Jia Va didn't simply collapse. They were smashed apart, and under some of the rubble are the people who once lived there.

Local officials say the focus now is not on finding the dead, but rescuing the living. Survivors huddle together in makeshift tents with nowhere to go. I wonder how structurally sound the remaining buildings are, and realize the impact of the quake will be felt for years.

Perhaps the most poignant experience came while we were talking to the local party secretary in Che Jia Va, who gave us directions and pointed out various landmarks -- all the while keeping a stoic face. The town was once home to 13,000 people, and 3,000 are still missing, he says.

As he shows me the damage to his community, I ask how many have died. Tears flow down his cheeks, and he makes no effort to wipe them away. He says that as many as 500 are dead, including his parents, his wife and their two children.

In the midst of his anguish, there is a call over his radio. He's needed again, and he runs off -- with apologies -- to go back to work.

13. ibm

ibm Member

soooooo true - by issuing endless debt and advance our children's and grand children's money

14. longhornchampno

Wow, this man lost almost all his loved ones and he was still holding back his emotion while he performed his duties. Talking about being professional in his work. I salute this man.

15. BetterThanEver

16. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

How to donate to Yao's countrymen

This is my first thread here. I wouldn't expect it to be something like this.

Sorry if it sound irrelevant.

The official death toll is now nearly 15,000 and eventually it could rise to 100,000.

Here are some pics.

http://pic.daqi.com/editor/slide/pic_slide/1991798/1.html#t
    http://pic.daqi.com/editor/slide/pic_slide/1991930/1.html#t
    http://pic.daqi.com/editor/huandeng/pic_huandeng/1991171/1.html#t

This is taken from TIME China Blog.

http://time-blog.com/china_blog/2008/05/sichuan_earthquake_how_to_dona.html

"For those who are looking to contribute to current aid efforts underway, you can now donate money to the Red Cross Society of China which has formed a disaster relief working group to be dispatched to the earthquake-stricken Wenchuan County in Sichuan.
    They have also published an emergency relief hotline, along with bank account information to receive donations to assist their cause:

Account name: Red Cross Society of China
    开户单位:中国红十字会总会

For those who want to donate in RMB: you can send money to the RMB account at the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China branch below:
    人民币开户行: 中国工商银行 北京分行东四南支行
    人民币账号: 0200001009014413252

For those who want to donate in foreign currency, you can send money to the foreign currency account at the CITIC Bank branch below:
    外币开户行:中信银行酒仙桥支行
    外币账号: 7112111482600000209

Hotline: (8610) 65139999
    Online donations: Red Cross Society of China website: www.redcross.org.cn
    Click the tab for online donations "

17. poprocks

poprocks Member

Yeesh, kinda puts 9-11 in perspective. We lost 3000 that day.

18. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

So I am wondering what poprocks is hoping now. :)

19. sook

sook Rookie

we owe around 9 trillion to china, which is why our dollar has decreased so low in value because we are printing money out of thin air

20. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

China is suffered

I felt suffered. So bad... :confused: :confused:

I donated as much as i could. So did my friends here in Canada

We all knew Yao loves his country. It's the time for every chinese to show up to support China ... :cool: :cool:

And we love Yao

i just hope that Yao could donate equal to what he donated to the hurricane years ago.

I am mean :eek: :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: