1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's contract extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Dec 3, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yao is a max player. Either we give him the max or someone else will. It is that simple. Perhaps his "talents" right now are not maxworthy, but the MARKET says he is a max player.

In terms of "max players", every team in the NBA has at least one max player. That's the way it is. I would say there are a number of teams that have a max player that isn't even worth MAX money these days. But they get the max because that's what the market will bare (unless you are the Knicks and foolishly bid against yourself, i.e. Allen Houston).

Another thing with Yao, in terms of a "business decision", having Yao goes far beyond just the basketball court. There is merchandising to consider. As "fans" we could give a rip. But remember, this is a business.

2. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Its no question Yao will get the max from some team..

J

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Not a chance. The Rockets will sign him to an extension the minute they can - before or after the labor negotiations - even if he has a year left. They aren't going to let him get to unrestricted free agent status unless Yao refuses to sign.

4. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

As smart as Yao is, you'd think he would realize that with 2 max paid players we won't be able to sign anyone else. Like someone else said, he's bringing in so much money from other things you'd think he could/would take less to help the team win. I still respect Mobley to this day for taking less, and seeing Yao do that would definitely up my respect for him.

Pugs

5. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

The answer is Yes and No.

Big Z has similar stats and he got max, so did Paul Gasol and K - Mart.

And Adonal Foyle averaged 3.1pts and 3.8 rebs last year and he got near 8 million contract. You tell me.

Yes, I think they are all overpaid, to my personal standpoint, no players (centers or forwards) who average below 20/10 deserve a Max contract. But that is the market value, so if Rox don't want to pay him, they can work out a S&T after Yao's rookie contract expires. There are still plenty of teams willing to pay the price. I believe quite a few people's feelings will be hurt. But in the end we all understand it is just business.

6. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

How many less? Unless he takes 3 million less it will only help
    Les' pocket. Do you think Rox would just offer him Parker's
    money? Not a chance. They might risk losing him for nothing.

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Z got max?!

what the hell is wrong with the NBA, max is reserved for special players..too many people are overpaid

8. pugsly8422

I know one way or another we're going to keep Yao unless he says he doesn't want to resign here. That's the bottom line. I don't see anything wrong with the Rockets offering him a bit less than max to help the team, and if he says no to that then give him the max, case closed. It doesn't hurt to try.

Pugs

9. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Nike did the same thing.

10. pugsly8422

Refresh my memory, Nike told Yao they would give him the max amount of money, but asked if he'd take a bit less to help the orginazation?

Pugs

11. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

the fact is...whether Yao lives up to the hype or not - he's going to get the max. it's a business decision more than a basketball one. it opens up the whole chinese market for any team who has him. sells jerseys, creates a larger fan base, and basically keeps interest in the game.

yao will get the max - and the rockets would be stupid to not give him it.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sorry Sam, Yao's gonna get the max from us no matter what. Like others said, it might not just be a basketball decision but more of a business decision.

The Rockets won't let Yao walk, no way. Everyone has learned from the Shaq/Magic fiasco, no way the Rockets let this happen.

13. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Pugs to refresh your memory Nike offered Yao a contract and when he reviewed the contract it was a lil different than what was stated. Which made Yao mistrust Nike and decide to sign with Reebok.

Nike realizing they are about to lose a huge market in China counter offered with a deal bigger than Kobe and Lebrons put together.

Yao decided to stay with Reebok because he didnt like the way Nike conducted their business with him. Even though the offer from Reebok wasnt as lucrative.

I think that says alot about the guy..

J

14. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

10 millions and 13 millions won't make much differenc for Yao's interest, however, the latter shows more respect, believe it or not. Yao deserves the respect and the money as well. TMac deserves his max, and so does Yao. You got what you pay for. So IMO, if Rockets are seriously considering to contend for the Championship, they better keep Yao regardless of the price.

15. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Yeah i agree. Not re-signing Yao would set this franchise back even more. Lets not forget he still has alot of potential and he can still become a 20 and 10 guy. He might not deserve the max right now but i think thats what the rox will have to offer him if they want to keep him.

16. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I think everyone is assuming that if we don't offer him the max, that he'll go to some other team that will. We all know Yao is not all about the money (like was previously stated with the Nike deal). If he goes on underperforming for the rest of the season, maybe he'll voluntarily take a contract that is more in range with his performance despite what all the other teams are offering.

At the very least, if he finishes the season w/18 and 8, then we should at least try to offer him something that is not the max. I don't think he'll be insulted. He knows it's fair. And if he doesn't like it, we can go up from there.

17. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

If he doesn't do well, I am thinking he might want to leave town, rather than taking a small contract.

18. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

CD has prepared to lock Yao up till 2012.

What's all this extension contract/ max contract threads about ?

:confused:

19. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Even MLE is too much, could we offer him the League min ?:confused:

20. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

I sure hope Yao doesnt resign with us. This would humble everyone on this board. Help bring us back to reality.