1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao was billed as a Temendous passer, What happened?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, May 28, 2007.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

We all read rave reviews about Yao's passing ability when he was first drafted. We saw him do the no look pass at Moochie that made all of the highlight reels.

What happened? At his size and touch, with Tracy McGrady, where did all of those supposed assists go?

I would have expected that Yao be averaging 3 to 4 assists at this point in his career. Was I wrong?

2. RocketsFanSam

RocketsFanSam Contributing Member

van gundy and crew made him into a low block robot, watch his old film when he first joined the rockets

3. htownbball

htownbball Member

his game pretty much consists of posting up and then scoring. every now and then they work the cut with luther, but luther really has to get some separation from his defender for that to be effective.

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

typical clutchfans response:

Let's blame everything on JVG

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well we won't have him to kick around anymore.

remember when the typical response was to blame steve for everything?

6. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I think there is a lot of untapped potential there for Yao Ming. The Rockets have two superstars - McGrady and Yao (and if both of them exhibit their passing abilities, then double teams become less relevant).

Right now McGrady has been our best assist guy. And it is tough to double team him. However, Yao is a low block black hole. Hence, his turnover are high because teams know that once he gets the ball he's going to shoot.

Therefore, Yao isn't getting his assists and he's turning the ball over a lot. A double wammy!! If Yao makes his passes, then other team won't be able to double team as much because then they will have to pay.

McGrady can effectively get the ball to Yao; however Yao cannot effectively get the ball back to McGrady. An offensive Genius, as Adelman has been described could do wonders for this team.

Go Rockets.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Oh definitely. How I long for the days that that pencil stickman would stand out on the free throw line at 7'6, delivering nifty passes to his smaller teammates! See the Great Yao Ming pass with such beauty as he deftly avoids all contact from his opponent!

:rolleyes:

Van Gundy started helping him pull his panties out of his vag, that's what happened to his "tremendous passing ability." I'd rather have a low block robot that scores 25ppg and has become the most dominant inside force in the game - the inside potential Van Gundy helped him realize by force feeding him - rather than the ballerina he came in as and what some of you curiously still long for.

8. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I disagree with lots of things people blamed on JVG, but this one I actually think have something to do with Jeff. Yao is not mobile, so he only can make those passes when his teammates are moving. If you look at all the good passing big men, Bill Walton, Sabonis, and Brad Miller, they all in a system consist of constant moving and screening. But JVG's system just isn't bulit that way. Besides the baseline cuts, the Rockets just doesn't have any motion offense.

9. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

LMAO

So true. Yao is a 7 ft 6 center. He should be on the low block punishing smaller opponents. Let the guards do the distributing. Yao is an above average passer out of the double team and that's all we need him to be....No look passes? Why?

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You left off the obvious answer: The billing was wrong and he never was that great of a passer. He made the occasional surprising pass (surprising for a man his size) but I have never seen him have a particularly quick release (Not surprising as he tends to telegraph) .

BTW that no look pass to moochie wasn't exactly a gargantuan feat of skill. It is a trick play, it works every once in a while, it's not going to work every night.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I agree with that point.. But we also have to remember Yao is a much much better scorer than a passer. It all comes down to efficiency, which I believe is what JVG had in mind. Yao was no where near as dominant as he is today when he first entered the league. JVG wanted Yao to SCORE, SCORE, SCORE! It is what made Yao what he is today. We don't need Yao passing the ball up at the top of the key or playing catch-and-shoot. We don't need a Brad Miller. I'm much happier with the Yao we have now.

12. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Yao's assists would have been higher if our shooters were better and we mixed up the plays a bit. Most of Yao's assists were from passing out of the post to someone on the three point line (usually that person would pass around, though). The only ones who were money on the catch and shoot were battier and rafer. We rarely had any slashers for yao to pass to and chuckwagon was really only good for offensive boards. Our offense simply didn't allow for many assists to happen, and only half our 3pt shooters were reliable.

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Yao will rise like never before under Adelman...

14. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I personally would let Yao shoot the ball before ANYONE on the team. Him dishing it off to guys like Hayes just doesn't sound like the greatest strategy.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

yes we do, yao has become 1 dimensional/very predictable, post-up score, post-up pass, post-up turnover.....

we need his assists/passes/distributing, face-up J, skyhook, and yes an occasional 3 to mix things up.............in addition to his low post game.

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

If the chuckser is anywhere w/in 3 ft of the basket.........I would have to disagree with you.

17. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i want the balerina and the robot. jvg sucks!

18. Jd1

Jd1 Member

exactly what I was thinking.

19. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

brilliant post. if yao can do that a lil bit, tmac can score much easier.

20. RocketsFanSam

RocketsFanSam Contributing Member

yeah i understand that yao has low post gifts but thats all they asked from him, he has finesse more so than other bigs in this league why not pull him out so his game isn't one dimensional? Yao doesn't control the scheme thats the coaching staff therefore van gundy and crew are to shoulder the blame. So if he doesn't utilize what he has under adelman it will be on both their heads because in this new offense yao is not only going to be sitting on the low block.