1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao wants to grow and he does mentally!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by syin1, Jan 22, 2004.

1. littlefish_220

Just like the comments of Yao. Yao just looks different in the last several games, even in the loss to Memphis.

BYW, talking about passion, I don't think Yao lacks of it. It is just a different way of expression.

2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

i nominate SPLAAASSSHH the most overused word of the first half of the year.

"GETS IT" is my predicted most overly used word of the 04 potion of our season.

3. tothomas

tothomas Member

Haven,

You mean comments like this...

"I hate games on holidays," Yao said. "It should be a day to rest. I should be at home watching TV and playing video games."

ESPN

I'm hoping he was just trying to be funny, and
    given his performance I think that's what he was doing. But, can you imagine the reaction to any other Rocket player saying that?

4. syin1

syin1 Member

How is this concept from? Insane? The CHinese National team just has a different way in practice, but don't make it wrong, basketball is also a game first staff, nothing related to politics. Of course they want to win games like every other country.The CNT may may need to improve but I don't think Yao think that's"INSANE"!

Just sick some misconception.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's the thing, Cat and Steve grew up playing hoops because they loved the game, Yao grew up hooping because he was tall and was put into the State athletic program...I think he said in the New Yorker article that he didn't even really like basketball until he was 17 or 18.

I hope he doesn't burn out.

6. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Excellent point, Sam! That's something I've been thinking to write about here.

In China, most sports program put athletes into year around rigid training at a very early age, that's why most of them burn out at very early age both physically and mentally. Yao has been trained the same way as others before him, luckily he left the system relatively early. I think this is definitely something the Rockets organization needs to watch out.

--daoshi

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yea, and it was a joke son....

GET IT?

:geez...some people got no sense of humor..:rolleyes:

8. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

Darn, when did they change that picture("http://www.nba.com/playerfile/yao_ming/index.html?nav=page")??? Yao has a mean facial expression this time. That could mean that he had a change in his mind toward this game.

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I understand where you are coming from but I do not agree with your last paragragh. I consider it an 'overstatement'. Outstanding talent, drive, work ethic, hunger and 'love for the game' are among the major factors that make one a great athlete. But Love for the Game is not the most importlant - it is rather talent and a sprinkle of some smarts.

I say this because you can be great and not necessarily love the game you play but there is no way you can be great if you only have drive, hunger and love for the game (with just marginal talent). At best you will be an over achiever. A Bo Outlaw or Ben Wallace at best. Heck I have all of those qualities and last time I checked no GM has called me yet for my services.

Here is just a short list of athletes who have excelled in their sports (some HOF or future HOF) without necessarily 'loving' the game or 'posses' or display Cutino's "passion" for the game (for the record I rather see Cutino acquire balls smarts rather than his oft misguided passion for the game) - least I forget these guys always spoke with exceptional meekness and their body languages often made you wonder (execept for you-know-who);

Hakeem Olajuwon (soccer is his first love).
    Tim Duncan (Swimming freak. Laid back guy).
    Barry Sanders (From another planet. Not crazy about sports period.)
    Smith (former Minesota Viking RB. Always wanted to be an MD).
    David Robinson (a devout Christian. More interested in the work of God and Charity).
    John Stockon (no one really knows what he thinks about basketball).
    Albert Bell (Weird guy)
    Denise Rodman (A "Board" Freak who had 'other things' on his mind).

That said I still Yao loves the game but this love will only come out more with improvement and winning. Gradually we can see that his meek and humble side is begining to take a time while he is on the court of play. However his love for video games and Chinese histrory will still remain intact. Methinks greatness as far as Yao and his NBA career is concerned is inevitable.