1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao wants to grow and he does mentally!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by syin1, Jan 22, 2004.

1. syin1

syin1 Member

Quotes from Yao after today's game

Source:
    http://yaoming.newclub.sohu.com/thr...lock=false&unarchive=false&tstart=0&trange=15

"Perhaps Only buddhists talk about'suddenly attaining enlightment', but I would like to talk a little about it these days. My attitude has been changed dramastically during the last four games. I remember when I first came here, I worked with all my might on training and the matches. Later on when I began to be in the start line-up, I played like in CBA, always thinking playing freelance basketball, which can prevail for me in China. But here if you keep doing like that, you'll get sifted out. I was always thinking I had played hard enough, but actually the fact is the opposite. Until two days ago when we were playing against Minny, I didn't find out I could play harder. Now that I get to know the truth, I must become used to it, If I play every game like today, maybe one day I can reach another higher level"PERIOD

There is a rumor from yao's BBS that Yao leads Shaq in the final votes by 3800. I don't know where this info from. If it's true I'm not shocked and I am a believer:D

2. Toast

Toast Member

Did you see the way he was using his body in the post last night vs. NY? He was bumping off and playing off the other guy like the dominant centers of old. He was getting in good rhythm and getting good separation from his defender that way. It was beautiful.

(It also didn't hurt that they weren't doubling him.)

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope he keeps it up.....and the light bulb has turned on....

DD

4. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Yeah, I liked the way he bumped Doleac to create space and when Doleac was off balance, he then went up with the shot.

I think he also used his body to shield the defenders better. Normally I feel he stands too tall when setting up down low, but last night against the Knicks he seemed to set up a little wider and stick his ass out to get open. If we are able to get Yao the ball like that, I feel good about the second half of the year.

5. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

We must trade him now.

;)

That's awesome.... It only will get better....

:eek:

6. MattM

MattM Member

I wish he clocked marbury and didn't just take the cheap shot that was delivered.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Does this mean that Yao....

wait for it

"GETS IT?"

:D
    ;)

8. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Just wait until his next subpar game and we will see all the "trade Yao" posts everywhere on this bbs again. :)

9. shawn786

shawn786 Member

U got that right ;)

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

That third quarter was a thing of beauty. I like Yao's comments, too; the more he pushes himself the higher he'll ascend and the more addicted to it he'll become. Awesome.

11. haven

haven Member

You know, I'm on the record as greatly preferring Yao to Francis.

But the one thing I'm not sold on is his love of the game. I think he likes basketball. But I'm not really sure about his commitment to be "the best there ever was" (to quote a good movie).

Yao often seems unhappy, makes lukewarm comments, and looks forward to time off just a bit too much.

Don't get me wrong - I love his game, and really like the fact that he seems to be a decent human being.

But if you could take Cuttino's passion... and give it to Yao... you might have the greatest player in history.

12. daRox

daRox Member

haven, I think it's more of a culture thing. He's very humble. He tries to avoid saying things that will make him look like an ass. Remember that bet on TNT? lol. Anyways, have you guys notice how different the new picture in his NBA profile looks? LOL, he was smiling like a Pillsbury Doughboy in his last pic. Now he looks like Taz!

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Yao is an amazing player and will be a great player for years to come...

The only downside is his year-round BB committments with China...You can tell he's winded and I don't want him to get burned out...

14. haven

haven Member

The humility is a breath of fresh air.

But what about all the comments concerning looking forward to time off, etc?

I like Yao so much that I'm often accused (falsely :mad:) of being a YoF.... but if there is a problem with his game, this is it.

15. syin1

syin1 Member

The only commitment for Yao this year is the Olympics. That's inevitable and Yao is definitely royal to the Chinese national team and he is eager to play good in Athens. Remember , Duncan does, Iverson does......for their country, too

16. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Very interesting topic. U cant teach passion about the game. But u can develop it perhaps, or it might be contagious. I think it was when Hakeem was here. It rubbed off on others.

It our case, Cat has always has it. Steve has it, but doesnt bring it every game. Cato has it this year.

Yao Ming? cant tell, honestly. But one thing i can somewhat tell. Even if doesnt share the same passion as Cat it might be ok. U gotta remember, he played for communist China w/ hardcore practices, and not sure what the circumstances were when they didnt play well. Maybe there were negative moments related to basketball. Plus the pressure, new country, play for your own country, new head coach, making the playoffs, doing commercials, play all year long........how much can a 22 year old take? so u can expect him to look forward to time off

However this does not mean he cant excel. If he doesnt do it for himself with the passion of Cat, he might do it because he knows it is what is expected out of him. Thats what China wants out of him. Thats what the Rockets want out of him. And it seems like he is trained to do what is right. In this case, play the best u can. And he will. He knows the criticism he received in his slump. And did he ever rebount from it? :eek: 4/5 games w/ 20 and 10 :eek:
    And sooner or later, after he relaxes, he might start playing for himself. Get that passion back for the game itself. And maybe some of that fire of Cat, watching other greats like KG, maybe it will rub off. Then, sky is the limit :cool: Hey, he already said he wants to do better at the All star game, and that getting 2 points was pathetic......

17. haven

haven Member

Picky, and a bit off-topic, but in the places where Yao would have been... China is totalitarian, but certainly not communist ;).

A professor of mine (hard core conservative, incidentally)... had a saying: "there are more communists in Cambridge than China." Pretty true, except in the rural western regions.

18. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Just sound funny :D :D :D

19. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

u know what i meant ;) besides, i consider JVG's system probably not much different ;) That time off he looks for, is him saying how much he misses Rudy....

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

its not the commitment, but the insane practices that the chinese NT puts their players thru.