1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao, Wang to bring ‘Yin and Yang’ to world basketball event

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://newsinfo.inq7.net/breakingnews/sports/view_article.php?article_id=10474

Yao, Wang to bring ‘Yin and Yang’ to world basketball event

Agence France-Presse
    Last updated 03:40pm (Mla time) 07/18/2006

BEIJING -- China is mulling a Yin and Yang strategy for the upcoming World Basketball Championships, based on the inside and outside games of Yao Ming and Wang Zhizhi, known together as the "Walking Great Wall."

The current national side is banking on the domineering skills of NBA All Star Yao to command the center position, while 2.14 meter (seven foot-one-inch) sharp-shooting Wang keeps defenders from collapsing on Yao by hoisting up three pointers from the perimeter.

"For the world championships, the Yao-Wang combination is set, right now the key issue is which other players are best adapted to play with them," team manager Gong Luming told journalists.

"We are going to get results with this team because the Yao-Wang combination is the best tandem of big men in the world," he said.

The World Championships, which begin in Japan on August 19, will be the first time that the 2.26 meter Yao has played with Wang since 2001, not long after the "Walking Great Wall" nickname was coined for China's seven-foot basketball players.

"The teams are going to be strong at the World Championships, at game time, Yao Ming will play center, but the defense is going to collapse on him, that is when we need to coordinate and get opportunities on the perimeter," Wang told journalists after a practice session on Monday.

"Yao Ming is so tall, he has good skills, so our strategy should be to try to play an inside game," Wang said.

The media have called Yao "the sun," or the Yang essence in the traditional Chinese philosophy on maintaining balance, while Wang is being called "the moon", or the Yin essence.

However, key to Yao's participation will be whether or not he can fully recover from a broken foot sustained in a Houston Rocket match in April.

With Yao recovering, Wang has led the team with averages of 20 points and 10 rebounds per game during a recent series of warm up matches in Italy, where he scored 44 points against Japan in one game and notched 19 first-half points against Italy.

The former star with the mainland Bayi Rockets was kicked off the national side after he refused to play for China as he pursued a four-year NBA career with the Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Clippers and Miami Heat.

But with the 2008 Beijing Olympics approaching the team has again sought his services in the hopes that China can win its first-ever Olympic basketball medal.

"The thing that really has excited me, is that he [Wang] has scored at least 20 points every game," the Basketball Pioneers newspaper quoted Yao as saying.

"The key is whether he can adjust his game when I come back. When I return, the offense and the defense are going to be set up around me, so Big Wang is going to have to adjust to a new role, from being the main offensive player to a player with more of a supporting role," the report said, still quoting Yao.

For China's Lithuanian coach Jonas Kazlauskas, it is crucial to get Yao and Wang on the practice court together so that a strategy can be worked out.

"We will set up a strategy that fits both of them, this is for sure. But as Yao Ming must train by himself for the coming weeks, there is still not a lot of time to have him work with Wang Zhizhi," Kazlauskas told journalists.

Team manager Gong said Yao is expected to fully recover by early August and should see action in an eight nation tournament in Nanjing city beginning on August 11.

If his recovery is quicker he may see action against the US national team in southern Guangzhou city on August 7.

Meanwhile, China will play seven warm up matches in the next two weeks in tournaments in France and Spain beginning on July 21. Yao will not be traveling with the team.

Copyright 2006 Agence France-Presse. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

2. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

YAO, you are pushing too hard....

3. univac hal

univac hal Contributing Member

Yin/Yang also has female/male connotations, so they are essentially saying Wang plays like a girl..

Is that news?? :confused:

:D

4. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

Wow, Yao-Wang combination is the best tandem of big men in the world, we should bring in Wang so that Rockets can fly higher than the Sun and Moon. :D :D

5. lazybum234

lazybum234 Member

I agree...how much would it cost to sign Wang?
    I mean he could sit on that last spot on the bench in his warmups all gme just fine...realistically...he could be a last ditch effort at that backup PF/C if Plan Deke doesn't work out.

I think it would be worth it for all the poltically incorrect YinYang or "walking great wall" comments by Bill Worrell or Bill Walton even...

Just imagine the possibilities. We would be the league leader in Asian Percentage...

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It's not saying so much about Wang as it is about Yao. Yao and Speedy Claxton would probably be the best Big men tandem at this year world championships as well.

7. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

LOL. I wish I was more mature :D

8. Jd1

Jd1 Member

Wang had 5.6 pts + 2 Rebs in 10.9 mins when he was in Dalas. His per 40 mins is 19.3 pts + 7.4 rebs over 5 seasons. And he'd be satisfied with a 1 million contrat. He is not a good defender, but I can see him nailing some 3 pointers off the bench.

9. wangzhizhi

wangzhizhi Member

I've watched a lot of Wang in the NBA and in international play.

Strengths
    Good, but streaky set 3point shooter off a pick and pop; Has a really good pump fake/spin move dribble penetration move that gets him layups; Decent passing and creating ability for a big man

Weaknesses
    Does not have a nose for the ball, can box out his man but he almost never fights for rebounds; Cannot play D, all he can do is foul; Has semi decent help defense and some shot blocking ability when he puts in the effort

All in all, he'd be a decent backup for off the bench streaky offensive firepower, a la a bigger Eddie House. He might work if he played with a strong defensive C like Deke with a lot of strong rebounders in that unit to mask his liabilites, and would allow him to dominate the ball on offense. On offense, he's only good if you run a pick and pop or give him the ball in the high post, otherwise, he just stands on the perimeter all day.