1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Underrated by NBA GMs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jonhty, Oct 24, 2007.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

This only illustrate what everyone knows: championships and potential are always overrated.

I understand both the Lebron and Kobe pick.

But Dwight Howard to start a team with????? I understand that he's young, but he's yet to shown that he has developed a solid game on offense, which is something you must have from your best player. Also, how is Tim Duncan, at this stage of his career, someone you can build around with? Is he probably the best player in the game? Yes. But he's only going down-hill from here.

I'm actually more surprised that Wade hasn't gotten any consideration. Championship? Check. Young? Check. Superstar? Check. What else do you need?

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Durability.

3. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

wade's injury will DEFINITELY cause him to change his game and how he goes to the basket. if u take his aggressiveness away when he attacks the basket, he's really not that great. his perimeter game is average at best as when u saw him v. chicago. he was primarily perimeter oriented (see how an injury can affect ur game esp. for an athletic player "cough" tmac "cough")

and wade showed last yr that he could only lead a team to a .500 record even in the east without shaq. i don't think he can lead u ANYWHERE by himself.

dwight is RAW. he's 21. he's learning from patrick so he'll get some moves so we'll see. but he's not that great right now. but potential is HUUUGE for GMs. why do u think they drafted kobe? tracy? josh smith? kg in the first round?

u can still build your franchise around duncan. he's not an athletic player so he'll play at this level for around 5-6 more years. his game is based on fundamentals.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think Wade's injury issues are overblown. He did suffer a serious injury, and he was not fully recovered last year when they played the Bulls. But in terms of career impact? I think comparatively speaking, Yao has been a lot less durable.

Howard's offense is all potential right now. He can be the best rebounder in the game for his entire career, and still not be a superstar if he can't be a force down low. I'd like to think that if I were a GM, I wouldn't be betting on non-sure-things if I could start with ANY player in the NBA.

5. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

How do you adjust to yao? you can't make your center taller and smarter.

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

dude, it's the shoulder. you don't EVER fully recover from that even w/ surgeries. eddie jones suffered from that and he said so. so in that sense, wade can still be a star, but he's not going to be able to drive recklessly anymore, which is why he's so great. he's great at attacking the rims and always absorbing the contact.

even if he maintains his greatness, he's not going to last long. his style has to change regardless to a more perimeter oriented game.

7. dback816

dback816 Member

Got these words for you

Shareef Abdul-Rahim

8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

shareef USED to be good. he just was unfortunate enough to be on bad teams his entire career. he's probably one of the most underrated players in the league. he's old now though.

9. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

just have nate robison guard him :D

10. howe070523

howe070523 Member

and Yao will score 50 points, grab 30 rebounds plus 20 blocks and Nate Robinson will still be on ESPN because he blocked Yao once.
    :D

11. dback816

dback816 Member

That's the whole point. He was incredible at getting stats. Also those Hawks had a few years of very good rosters, but they never went anywhere with SAR as their best player.

Same thing with Howard here. He's getting massive stats on a bad team and they're not going anywhere.

12. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

T-Mac got massive stats on his bad Orlando teams. Kobe gets massive stats on his bad Laker teams. good players will get their numbers regardless of what kind of team they're on.

13. JustWannaChill

If you really believe that, you are moron.

If you do not really believe that but still use that block to diss our own Rockets player, you are an *******.

I don't think you really believe that, so the conclusion is you are an *******.

14. abcdef

abcdef Member

Read his posts, he's consistently hated on Yao and he keeps using the same reason (Robinson block) even though we repeatedly point out the failure in that logic.

I've met reasonable people who don't like Yao and give reasonable arguments against him.... but he isn't one of them. An irrational YOH he is.

15. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

By your logic, isn't Melo is younger, and doesn't have a injury prone history like Mac? So, what you meant to say is that you agree that melo is better than than T-mac, who is rated right.

16. howe070523

howe070523 Member

yep, most importantly, they get better stats on a bad team than they do on a good team.

17. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

10 players huh???
    LOL if ur judging player cause he got his shot blocked you dont know absoulutely nothing

18. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

He is growing offensively. I think he is moving at a solid pace considering he would be what a senior in college or just graduated by now? He looked better offensively during the US exhibition games this summer. I think he will progress like Amare. They will keep adding range and new moves to their game and of course take advantage of anything they get around the basket.

19. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Dwight Howard has really developed his game over the summer. He looks amazing in preseason, not this season, but next maybe MVP. Yao is a great player, but he is the only franchise player, that falls on the ground a heck of a lot, misses rebounds, passes, gets his shot blocked by little people and not feared to much when people come in the lane for his size. He is considered somewhat awkard, but skilled.

20. dback816

dback816 Member

And what makes you say they are good players? Oh right because they've actually done something else.

You're already going off from the point. Howard is getting his numbers and that's all he's been doing. He's not even close to being a top consideration for starting a new team.

Your random "20/20" remark doesn't support his case whatsoever