1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yao: The 2nd best center in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedHonda76, Dec 19, 2002.

1. fungyee77

fungyee77 Member

Actually, I AM kind of curious about these Chinese centers. I had ABSOLUTELY no idea Yao would be even half as good as he has been. So now I'm wondering about Wang Zhi Zhi and Bateer and this Tang guy.

I'm sure part of the reason Wang ZZ and Bateer aren't doing so well is because their teams haven't invested in them as Houston has invested in Yao. If Yao had failed, everyone who had been involved in his selection would have been a laughing stock. This, they HAD to find a way to help him succeed. Bateer and the immensely highly acclaimed ZZ haven't had that luxury.

Makes me kind of wonder how good they can be though. Or is it really that they are way out of their league here? What do the CBA fans think? I'd love to know more.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

ZZ and Bateer are 6 inches shorter than Yao and they are not as smart. The height difference is the same as Jordan and Stockton. Can you imaging stockton trying to cover Jordan in the post. In the CBA, ZZ, Bateer, and Yao are much taller than every one else so they are very successful but in the NBA, ZZ and Bateer are just average height for a center while Yao is still a giant.

3. fungyee77

fungyee77 Member

Point noted. However, I wouldn't say that height is the predominant factor for Yao's success.

The reason I am asking really is that Bateer had shown signs of consistent contribution with Denver except he kept fouling out. Also, the Mav players were amazed at ZZ's offensive prowess when he first arrived. Then he disappeared.

And further, Yao REALLY looked up to ZZ before, who I heard had often given him fits. So extrapolating from Yao's success, I figure these guys must be pretty OK players too within the RIGHT system. Further extrapolating from that, they'd be pretty good discounts in the current overpriced NBA landscape.

Certainly something to think about eh?

4. snowmt

snowmt Member

I think Bateer is a good fit as a PF for Rockets, if he can learn
    to get out of foul trouble. He is so strong and good at
    rebounding. In some sense, he is like the Kandi man, but
    with better fundamentals.

5. snowmt

snowmt Member

Besides, one quotes from Yao: "Kandi man is the kind of center
    I least wants to deal with. His hands is so powerful and
    whenever he puts his hand on you, you feel very uncomfortable.
    He reminds me of Bateer."

6. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

What the heck has Z done for his team? They still have the worst record in the league. He is a non factor on defense. Trust me! I watch alot of their games because Miles, Davis and Wagner are all on my fantasy team. The only thing that team worries about is their stats. Nothing else!

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

"Twenty-four games into the NBA season, we are re-opening the question as to who is the second-best center in the league today. Who knows? In another 58, we may find out that the answer is Shaquille O'Neal." ESPN article