1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao should model his game after 2 big man with more injuries than him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Dec 20, 2010.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

Bill Walton and Arvydas Sabonis both had even bigger injury problems than Yao.

Sabonis had ruptured both achilles tendons, had ankle problems, also had knee problems and when he got to the NBA was even slower than Yao.

Walton broke his foot way more times than Yao, had back, ankle, knee inuries multiple times.

Both these guys had way more injury problems than Yao and they were still effective players on championship contending teams.

Yao won't be the player he once was but he will still be quite effective even despite this latest injury. Big men who have high bball IQ can always find ways to contribute to the team.

1 person likes this.
  2. lean

lean Member

Walton barely came back, he could only play limited minutes late in his career with Boston. Sabonis' career was destroyed by injuries. If anything, Yao should hope his situation turns out better than it did for either of those guys.

3. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

RA's offense would be perfect for a guy like Yao - can should the ball from the perimeter, and is a very good passer. I know they used him at the high post in RA's first year here, but it seems like they've gone away from it.

I think the low post game takes a toll on his feet too because of the amount of pressure put on your feet in different angles to go along with a bunch of pushing and shoving that goes on down low.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Yao needs to lose a lot weight and utilize his mid-range jumper a lot more.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This could work......if Yao had been born 20 years earlier.

7. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

don't think so. The centers 20 years ago were actually better than 90% of the centers nowadays.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is why I am not oppose to Yao staying around.
    I think as long as he humble. . . .which he is.
    Moving him to the high post . . ie brad miller would be ok.

I think half a Yao is still work 5~6 million a year
    15~20 minutes agame. .

Rocket River

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

...retired at 33

10. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Kareem? and just dont make Yao play defense other than sticking his arms up and sometimes jumping straight up. relegate him to more of a tall perimeter player. i know it makes no sense to use ur 7'6" guy on the perimeter but if he is injury prone Yao Ming, then it makes perfect sense.

11. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

lose weight? wth? hahaha oh man the rockets staff should hire this guy right here.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So it worked for arvydas who played back then, but it wouldn't have worked for Yao because centers were better? The'd be playing the same guys the same way...

Now there's a lot more mobile big men. Sabonis was a better passer, took better care of the ball, and went out all the way to the three point line. All that kept more guys off of him. If Yao isn't going further than 17 feet, then centers can stay on him and still crash the boards or come in for blocks. He'll be swarmed more often and more easily and he's had issue with that. He works better in the post, with only a defender behind him. He's going to end up needing to play the same, but with less touches. You'd think that would keep him healthy, but i think he's just a heavy mover who lands too hard. Even Sabonis, at his size, had a lighter step, same goes for Parish.

13. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

to add more to the list Ilgauskas too he don't need to retire just adjust his game style

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So basically, you're saying what I said 2 yrs ago right? Remember when I said he should be pick and pop,high post play finisher vs play creator? What about when I said he should be buried in game film so he can anticipate the passing angles so he can work the high post? Don't feel bad, alot of posters are years behind my thoughts and posts

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why are you so hell-bent on getting rid of Yao? You don't even seem to want to consider having him around at a low price.

17. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Stress fracture.

18. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Sabonis was a much better shooter, passer and faster even in his scrubbish days then Yao.He also had amazing playmaking skills. Noway Yao is as skilled as big SABAS was.

19. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Sabonis was still a good player with the Blazers despite being washedup when he got to the NBA.

20. dback816

dback816 Member

That's because the SABAS was an entirely different player in his younger years. The dude was blowing by people and dunking on their heads, as a 7 footer.

Yao was never close to those athleticism

I wouldn't say Sabonis was a better shooter though, better range sure.