1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Yao seriously dissed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oldgunrules, Mar 14, 2006.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

How many 7"5 guys can do what this douchebag/author is expecting Yao to do? It's not like all of a sudden Yao will start leading a fast break, or leave other athletic big men in their dust with his newly discovered lightning fluid speed. He is what he is, his limitations are already known, and even with that he is a pretty good to near dominant player that you can get the offense to flow through.

In other words Charly Rosen, welcome to yesterday.

2. langal

langal Contributing Member

What the hell is wrong with this guy? Is he a racist or something? Or some old-time anti-Commie windbag?

3. vizier

vizier Member

he forgot to mention under certain condition a team can make yao scoreless in any game, that is....

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

lol, memo to CHarlie, Phil Jax LOVES Yao.

5. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

Yup--his last article on the Rox was after the Phoenix game...

6. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Hmm...so the entire thing was a dissertation about how unathletic and slow-footed Yao Ming is. He got out-maneuvered by Vince Carter. He couldn't run out of the paint to guard Cliff Robinson's 20 footers on every possession. Honestly, who the hell is expecting him to? Why don't you tell us something we don't already know Charley?

I think stuff like this will plague Yao for the rest of his career. Unless he cures cancer and proves himself to be the second coming of the Messiah, nobody in the national media will be satisfied with what he's accomplished. :rolleyes:

#26 Kyrodis, Mar 14, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  7. ctseng0

ctseng0 Contributing Member

Guys, please.

Yao is my favorite player in the league, but Rosen's critiques are detailed, in-depth, and quite reasonable. Yao does get tired, he does "topple" over quite a bit, he is extremely slow laterally, and the problems w/ feeding him in the post are well-established. Compare getting the ball to yao and to shaq. Shaq can jump and there are almost no turnovers feeding him. W/ yao it's entirely a different story.

About the only thing I'd quibble w/ is his conclusion. Why a guy who can score like that, and make his free throws, can't carry his team is beyond me. And if JVG at some point allows him to open up his game a bit, it'll be even more fun to watch.

As an aside, it's kind of funny that one of the two pictures he includes, under the rubric "Yao Ming's inside game still needs work", is of Cliff Robinson fouling him...

8. mag

mag Contributing Member

He failed to mentioned what player in the league can carry a team by himself. He did not mentioned what is the current supporting cast. Michael Jordan won't be able to do anything with our supporting cast.

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Rosen is really making himself look foolish with crap like this. Yao is on a tear and one of the few bright spot for this Rockets team.

When the rest of your team shoots ~29% what star can lead a team to victory??

Rosen's a moron

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you should check out some of rosen's other articles. they are really in-depth :cool:

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

V is for Vendetta

12. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

He forgot to mention that Yao had zero dunks in the last game, maybe two. The guy is slipping, for sure.. :rolleyes:

His agenda is apparent. Do you think KG would have fared any better with the scrubbs we trotted out there with Yao? It's all good, though, since KG shows passion, and talks trash, and is supremely athletic, and fun to watch...and loses too, but that's ok... :rolleyes:

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Great article. Not only does he somehow twist numbers anybody in the NBA would be pleased to have put up into something mediocre, he uses this game as an example of all of Yao's abilities - a game that came less than 24 hours after he played 40+ minutes against the friggin' Spurs. Besides that, the guy has been knocking our team all year but now decides that our team, even with McGrady and Wesley injured, is more than enough for Yao to win with if he was more than a second bannana. Brilliant.

14. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

WTF?

36pt —
    53% shooting from the floor
    90% from the stripe
    1 turnover

Truly unimpressive. What's amazing to me is that with all of the flaws Rosen points out, Yao can even manage to brush his teeth, let alone put the ball in the hole.
    Is Yao far from perfect?
    In the words of Ryan Bowen — "Heck yes I am!"

I wish we had a couple more imperfect stiffs who could put up numbers like that.

Just amazing..

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I take this story with a grain of salt. Why? If CD put Yao Ming on the trading block, there would be a thundering stampede by all the other GMs to CD's door. When CD opened up, they would all be there on bended knee with all kinds of incredible offers -- all of which we would be crazy to take.

16. kryten128

kryten128 Member

I totally agree. Whatever beef this Rosen guy has with the Rockets, Van Gundy, Yao, or China, he sure sounds like an absolute fool writing this crap while Yao is on such a tear and the role players are in such a funk.

Where was this jerk after our wins over the Wolves and Pacers?

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dr Rosen Rosen? Dr Rosenpenis?

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You know the easiest way to tell someone's bias and basically discredit the validity of their assertions. ATA: Analyze Their Adverbs.

1. "spectacularly" unimpressive
    2. "totally" robotic
    3. "noticeably" shaky
    4. "extraordinarily" slow

And that's where I stopped. ATA= I don't like Yao, JVG, or the Rockets.

You know what Rosen's trying to do- let's see, everyone's praising Yao, so I'm going to distinguish myself by focusing primarily on what Yao can't do, as opposed to what he can do.

Oh, and no player can carry an entire team by himself. None. Jordan had Pippen, Bird had McHale and others, Johnson had Kareem and Worthy, etc. Sorry, but it's the truth. But because Rosen can't handle the truth, well, there you have it.

19. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I have no problems with criticizing Yao's shortcommings. They are loud and apparent. The problem I have with the article is this douchebag obviously hasn't seen enough of Yao's games lately to really speak so definitively on the subject.

Why can't Yao carry the team? My guess, is b/c JVG is micro-managing him. Yao has so much to learn, so he's out there thinking about every little thing out there. He can't be as free flowing and instinctive as he would want. i.e. robotic. Something, along with many of you, have been complaining about since JVG got a hold of Yao. I won't say Yao isn't better since JVG got him, but I think JVG is also restriciting him.

Another large part of it is I think that Yao's supporting cast is...well...not great.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if we traded yao for kobe would we be doing any better?

seriously, it's not yao's fault that we aren't winning. it's because of him that the games are close. i'm afraid to see what the tyeam would look like without him right now.