1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao: Possibility of not playing in Olympics is biggest disappointment of career

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bronx43, Feb 26, 2008.

1. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Enough with those red Texas-size font. I am Chinese and I know your pain, but please don't embarrass yourself. Big font size doesn't make you more convincing dude. :eek:

2. htownbball

htownbball Member

just because he values the olympics more doesnt mean he is less of a rocket. you doubt his dedication to this team? fine, lets get rid of him. he is worthless anyways. he's chinese. deal with it. its because of the selfish american culture why they've been embarrased in some of the international competitions the last few years. if yao had to choose between betraying his country or betraying some fan who's crying over what he said, he'd betray you ten times out of ten and not think twice about it. get over yourself.

3. Ray_xxh

Ray_xxh New Member

Collectivism = getting paid 100,000 RMB(OR about 12,000 bucks OR about 6,000 Kilograms of oranges) a month to work in State Owned Security company

4. Carladyfan

Carladyfan Member

he got to say what he got to say, that's how i see it, missing the olympics which is historic in China will be a disappointment, not saying the right thing to the chinese media would be an even bigger backlash, think about it for a moment. Imagine him missing the olympics, with a whole nations hope placed on his shoulders(in basketball), what do you expect him to say? That it's ok to miss the olympics because he needs rest?

5. RoxD

RoxD Member

Well said.

People here have taken it as granted that NBA is a business and an entertainment, and furthermore, NBA Champs is everything for a bball player. This has ingraved into one's value system, and this is the ONLY accepted value system. And they cannot tolerate people having value systems different from theirs.

They do not even realize that out of NBA there are many other things that do not follow the rules of "money talks". In this world, there are family, love, pride, honour, duty, etc, where "money does not talk loud". And Olympics is one of them.

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Since he made the Stevie reference, I assume he was being sarcastic.

7. RoxD

RoxD Member

What about your own comparison? valid? The GM has expressed his views on this matter already.

Just follow your logic, the deduction will surprise yourself:
    However, it is stupid to say that the Team China has no right to have reservations about Yao's playing through the heavy schedule in NBA night in and night out, which injured Yao.

Sounds rediculous, right? Read your own argument again then.

As you pointed out, there is interest conflict as to playing how much over the Summer AND during NBA season. And I believe both sides are intelligent enough to have resolved it before the Rockets drafted Yao. And I also believe the common interest has overweighted the interest conflict.

8. Cohen

Yao is an exceptional person.

He felt crushed having to give his teammates the news, and was greatly dissappointed that he could not represent his country the way he wanted to on the world stage in Beijing.

If you have a problem with this, you have a problem.

9. Cohen

If his choice, I wonder whether Yao would have ever choosen to play in the NBA, in the States, away from his beloved Shanghai?

I never felt Yao was about the money. I think he intially agreed to play here because his country thought it would be a good thing for his country. Sure, he's now vested in other ways with this team, but that's because of the type of person that he is.

Don't be so America-centric and myopic; his National team came first, and whatever the agreement was.. it was addressed and resolved before Yao arrived here. Les knows he's lucky and priviliged to be able to share Yao's loyalties (and royalties ;) ).

10. Blaster

Blaster Member

Houston is lucky to still have Yao in the team after his rookie contact.

He could choose to go to CA like Yi demands.

Face it, we have best Chinese player who is loyal to his team. Stop taking things for granted

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Some of you guys are backwards as hell.

I think it's admirable how much he cares about playing for his home country, and with it being the Olympics, it's even more special. He's possibly going to miss that. That's huge.

It's like you guys are saying, appreciate movie star soldiers who act to entertain instead of the real soldiers serving our country.

He won't always be a Rocket, but he'll always be Chinese...

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

very true.

but u have to look it as a business. yao thinks that way, but not the rocket fans nor the team. they invest in yao in terms of MILLIONS of dollars. they expect yao to give them a championship. at this rate, he won't stay on the floor enough to do that.

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Yeah, but it's not like the business (The Rockets) didn't know about his non-NBA commitments. I would venture to guess that his dedication is just another reason they wanted to draft the guy. They don't have to pay him millions. They can offer less if they feel they get less. Then we see what happens.

What Yao does on his time, is his perogative (for the most part). As long as he comes to compete for The Rockets while physically able, I think he's fulfilling his part of the deal. He often goes above and beyond the call of duty. You can see he cares a lot about the organization that is this business.

So I don't understand why people would get upset. He loves his country, and people are suggesting he put aside his personal feelings for what people deem as a business?

I guess it matters little, since the organization seems to stand behind him (very un-PC if they don't, haha). It's just the fans gettin' their panties in a wad.

14. bronx43

bronx43 Member

How do you not understand why people would get upset? From a Houston Rockets fan's perspective, you are sharing one of the centerpieces of your franchise with a country that wants to use him every summer, giving him no time to rest from his NBA commitments. How can any fan of any sport be okay with that? As a fan of a certain sporting team, your only concern is for the achievements of the team. And if one of your main players is doing something that hurts the opportunities of the team, then you should not be happy as a fan.
    On the other hand, from a purely personal perspective, obviously I can't condemn Yao for fulfilling his duties and dream to serve his country. It's possibly the greatest honor in the sporting universe to be able to represent your nation in the grand-daddy of sporting events, which happens only once every four years (possibly once a lifetime in your own country).
    So, like any issue, there are two sides of the coin, and you really call one of the other unreasonable. It's just one of the many unfortunate realities that sports fans sometimes have to face.

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I have already conceded that it is fully within Yao's rights to play, and I have even said that I think he should play.

And the inverse of my argument isn't surprising or ridiculous. Team China does have heavy reservations about Yao's playing in the NBA, and the situation was probably discussed heavily before Yao even entered the NBA draft. The difference is that Yao has a huge financial and contractual(I know Yao probably also has a contract with China, but those contracts don't mean anything...see Bryant, Kobe and all the other US players who have dropped their Olympic obligations) obligation to the Houston Rockets.

Cohen, I don't see how I'm being America-centric or myopic. The only thing I am being is Rockets-centric, and, even then, I have said that I think he should play in the olympics if he is healthy. Realistically, China has no chance, with or without Yao, while the Rockets are serious title contenders with Yao in the middle. If Yao isn't able to recover in time, China basketball will go on with business as usual. In other words, they will still suck. Even so, I understand there are things bigger than basketball and NBA basketball. Yao's chance to play on an international stage in his home country is once in a lifetime...his mere presence will be something to behold. Sorry for being so America-centric and myopic.

16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Remind yourself how unprecedented it was that China agreed in the first place to let Yao come to the NBA. And if you don't want to share your stake in Rockets players with other countries, stop drafting foreigners.

We knew what the deal was with Yao when we drafted him. And we were lucky to get it.

17. ilomse

ilomse Member

if u watched the CN vs JAPS game, Yao throw down 6 facials against the JAP center...

Yao turned down the Toyota comercial w/o giving a reason

And if u watched any game he played represent his country...

u can conclude: Yao is a nationalist :cool:

18. ilomse

ilomse Member

By the way, most of ur so-called "brain-washed" peoples are those who lived in a foreign country away from China, same as me tho..when i lived in China i never appreciated my nationality, until i came to U.S.

Same as Yao, yes he came, he his welcome ceremony was being laughed, make fun of, dunked on, corssed over...and bunch of ignorant haters. yea Yao should really appreciate being here.

BTW did i told u that Chinese hated see other pretend to "acting" Chinese but their true intention was to make fun of us ;)

19. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

How could the possibility of not being able to represent your country, when you are the country's biggest star, in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity NOT be the biggest disappointment of your career???

I'm not Chinese, I could care less about Chinese sports, and I think Yao should have every summer off. BUT, I totally understand where he is coming from.

20. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

I agree and do not forget that he has been named the face of the Olympics representing china for more than 2 years now.