1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao: Possibility of not playing in Olympics is biggest disappointment of career

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bronx43, Feb 26, 2008.

1. yaomac-punch

yaomac-punch Member

Even what you said is true, just to remind you, IPOD is owned by an American company, it's those Apple bastards who are not willing to pay those pathetic workers more than $50 a month! Who should be blamed for?

2. FR0497

FR0497 Member

There are 1.3 BILLION people in China. There is a little over 2 million in Houston. But somehow its more important for him to be more disappointed about not being able to finish the season for us as opposed to playing in the OLYMPICS in his hometown??? We need to remember how important the Olympics are and how this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Yao.

As for him needing to rest in the summer, I completely agree. But management knew what they were getting themselves into when they signed him.

3. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

I completely understand what you are feeling about. As a Rockets fan is understandable to ask any one in the Rockets to put the Rockets in the NO.1 place. Yeah, that is just for a Rockets fan.

I am sure you might agree if you were a Chinese, you wanted Yao won a title for the Rockets, but you would be more pleasant if Yao could show up in the Olympics and lead the CNT to the level they can achieve best. As Yao, a Chinese, it is really reasonalbe and honored to serve his country. And at the very least, he've done his best for the Rockets till now.

4. Raven

Raven Member

You're absolutely right. Corporations are a huge part of the problem, because they'll go where they can get away with the most.

5. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Boy, for all of you Rockets fans, and I am one too, that think what Yao said was a slap in the face.... Give me and him a break.

What if your live long dream, your primary drive, your goal was to win a medal for your country? Would you be upset that the one time the game is played in your country, (and you are in your prime), that you may miss it?

It''s like your train for all your life to climb Mt. Everst (sp) and the day to get to the peak, you break your foot and poof, you are not going to make it?

6. Raven

Raven Member

I admire Yao for wanting to play. He has a history of playing through pain and playing through injuries. I just hope the Chinese Olympic Team doesn't let him. Nothing is worth him ending his career prematurely.

7. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

People will understand a player missing a key playoff game because of the birth of a child, but won't understand a player wanting to play for his country in Olympics hosted at his own country? It is once a lifetime event.

I feel sick that he will miss the rest of the season when we all got our hope up. I also feel that our window is closing because who knows at what level Tmac can play down the road. But I have hope that we will get another chance next year.

About his getting paid tons of money, I am pretty sure Les makes more money off him. If Les doesn't complain,...

8. Blaster

Blaster Member

a crack thread

What's the point?

The guy is loyal to his country, you have problems with that? bite me.

Use your brain to Think, if he is not who he is, if he is not loyal to his country, how he could commit to his games in Rockets, how he can play two or three weeks with injury just because the team needs him.

Come on, people, Think, to think, it would only be logic failure if the guy doesn't care about his country's Olympics.

People don't understand Yao is not looking for a mental as the primary reason to attend Olympics(well, at best, who doesn't), it is about loyalty, it is about you contributed best of you to your country.

Those kinds of threads piss me off

9. canoner2002

Agree. It would be stupid to do that.

10. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

You know how funny that I though the similar thing when I was in China, and now after I have been in US for 10+ years I found that the US media do a far superior job of brainwashing than Chinese media.

11. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

This is really wonderful US style brainwashing BS.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's disappointing to here him say this. I know the cultural difference is something I can't understand but I feel when you sign a contract to play in the best league on the planet you put your performance there as your #1 priority.

13. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

There are still many Rockets seasons to come for Yao. This is the only Olympics he'll ever participate that is held in his homeland.

14. Blaster

Blaster Member

yeah right, Rocket only pays Yao to play season and playoff

Rocket doesn't pay Yao for off-season, he could do whatever you want.

So your boss has a business at your home? give me a break.

15. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I would have preferred him to say "my biggest disappointment would be sitting on the bench while my team won the NBA championship"

16. canoner2002

Just because you signed a contract it doesn't mean your job is the most important thing in your life. You still has freedom to pursue other things or put other things on top of your wish list.

It is not like Yao is trying to make a fortune off the court and let it affect his performance on the court.

17. cujo

cujo Member

I cant believe some of you are criticizing Yao for this. :rolleyes: The guy will probably never be able to compete in the olympics in front of his home crowd. So sad....

18. canoner2002

In that case, he may feel ecstatic rather than disappointed. He is not your average NBA player.

19. Blaster

Blaster Member

that would be a funny one

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

u have to understand both sides of the story.

us americans do not really care for the olympics in basketball and the gold medal b/c we have a lot of great players who can get it done every yr.

to the fans, an NBA championship means more than anything. it's the same thing to the NBA players.

yao is a different breed. he will always care for china more than the NBA and rightfully so.

it is what it is. yao will do what's best for him. i just hope he won't cost his NBA career b/c he is a great player.