1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao: Possibility of not playing in Olympics is biggest disappointment of career

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bronx43, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bronx43

bronx43 Member

In Yao's press conference, he states that the possibility of not being able to play for China in the upcoming Olympics would be the biggest disappointment of his career. For me, I feel somewhat betrayed that the Olympics, instead of finishing possibly the most promising season with the Rockets, is his biggest concern. Even if he feels this way(perhaps he sould feel this way), I don't think it's something he should say to the Houston media.

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Is it really that unreasonable?

Yao wasn't born a Rockets fan like us. He probably didn't care for the Rockets until David Stern called his name on the draft day. He was born Chinese, and it's probably been his dream to play for the national team in Beijing.

That said, the Rockets are paying the man $20 mill a year, and China isn't.

4. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Just being a patriot.

But seriously, considering how bad China's guards are, how does Yao ever expect to do anything noteworthy with the CNT :confused: ?

5. bloop

bloop Member

so what he's being honest

you rather him be political correct for no reason? he spent the entire press conference talking about how it kills him not to be out there playing for the rockets. I dont think anyone misunderstood how much missing the playoffs and the rest of the season hurts him

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I agree with Yao. I think it's Americans who seem to undervalue Olympic competition, not the world that overvalues it. What bigger honor is there than to represent your country? Not just represent, but star for your country?

7. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Unbelievable way of thinking, just unbelievable.

8. bronx43

bronx43 Member

How's it for no reason? The Houston fanbase just got dealt a crushing blow. There is a reason for him not to weigh his national duties over his duties to his NBA franchise. Also, Yao's involvement in the CNT has been a thorn at all our sides since day one. It will obviously hurt most fans to hear that Yao isn't as disappointed with the lost NBA season as he is with the "possibility" of not playing for China in the Olympics.

9. supradai

supradai Member

china olympics can only happen once in his lifetime while he's is still able to play ball. He still has a chance to come back better the next nba season. He only has one shot in life to play in front of his home crowd in a nation competition.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

He will have a chance to compete for a ring with the Rockets every year. The Olympics are in Beijing once.

11. pchan

pchan Member

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that this particular olympics is held in beijing.

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

bronx43 you're a selfish fan. If I was in Yao's shoes, playing in the Olympics in front of the home crowd (Beijing) would probably be the greatest honor as a basketball player.

13. dookiester

dookiester Member

i understand how as a rockets fan, we'd like to hear that yao would rather finish a good season with a slight chance of going all the way. but you have to realize that the olympics being held in beijing this summer is HUGE, for everyone in China and especially for China's golden boy. this is an absolutely monumental event that Yao has probably been looking forward to his whole life, and now he had the chance to return and represent his country, in his country as the host of the biggest sporting event in the world. lets try and give the big fella a little sympathy and understanding.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The Rockets are the ones paying him...he should care more about missing out on this season than potentially not playing for CNT.

15. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

NBA playoff happens every year.

Olympics happens once every 4 years.

Olympics in China only happens once in ....

16. bronx43

bronx43 Member

I'm a fan, of course i'm selfish. I care for Houston wins, over all else. If Yao's heart isn't entirely with Houston, why should my heart be entirely with him?

17. mahkeses

mahkeses Member

I do not agree with your point.

18. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

If Rockets stop paying Yao, poor Yao will be out of job since no other NBA team will be interested, right?

19. ekim

ekim Member

It's not Yao's fault...

Communists brainwashed him.

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

:rolleyes: I guess the communists in Spain brainwashed Gasol as well, since Gasol considers winning the FIBA tournament in 2006 the greatest accomplishment in his bball career.