1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao only trails Shaq by 24k votes for AllStar Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Visagial, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

This year, it would be a total travesty if Yao won the starting job.

http://www.nba.com/news/allstar_040112.html

Vince Carter (Tor.), 1,629,169
    Ben Wallace (Det.), 1,465,308
    Kobe Bryant (LAL), 1,333,262
    Allen Iverson (Phi.), 1,322,327
    Kevin Garnett (Min.), 1,305,540
    Tim Duncan (S.A.), 1,275,767
    J. O'Neal (Ind.), 1,225,350
    S. O'Neal (LAL), 1,115,881
    Yao Ming (Hou.), 1,091,997
    Tracy McGrady (Orl.), 939,547

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...must be his red hot performance in the last few games....

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

LeBron James (Cle.) 577,471

This is the most suprising to me. Half of the votes of the leader.

I really thought the fans would vote him in as a starter due to the hype (like they did with Yao).

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

If the Cavs had a better record i think he woulda been a shoe in. Thats why Yao got in last year, IMO. <-- Well that and the billion people voting for him in China :D

5. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

he beat shaq in U.S. votes last year from what i recall.

6. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Well than i stand corrected

7. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

I have stopped voting for Yao at this point.

8. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Incorrect. Yao Beat Shaq in every AMERICAN return in the voting plus there were not as many votes cast in China as would of been expected.

9. AGBee

AGBee Member

Unfortunately, he'd probably end up playing more minutes in the Rookie-Sophomore game than in the All-Star game.

10. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Like i said before I STAND CORRECTED!

11. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Perhaps I need to vote Shaq everyday from now on so Yao could avoid being embarrassed? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

12. silvercatt

The Laker fans would definitely beat Yao up if he starts over Shaq this year. Yao should prepare for a big brown bag to cover his head.

13. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

might be a good idea... it would actually be a little embarassing for me as a Rockets fan if Yao got voted in as the starter at this point. Steve getting voted in as a guard is bad enough... At this point, I'd feel a much greater sense of accomplishment getting picked as a reserve- of course, I'd go either way.

Nothing like the feeling we'll get when ESPN has an article on the front page about how the fan voting is ruining the all star game by letting people who don't deserve it in (we'll call it the vinsanity effect), and using Yao and Steve as this year's examples. Now that's good publicity!

If he (Yao) doesn't win the starting job, I wouldn't be surprised to see him passed over as a reserve in favor of Brad Miller.

At least then he could get some rest.

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

He's putting up incredible numbers for his age, he's doing alot for the NBA, and Cleveland is no longer the huge pushover it was. Because of everything that's going on in the league, I'm surprised Labron's behind T-Mac in voting! The average person who actually votes for these things should be over T-Mac and on to the next big thing.

This should be true especially since the Magic are so bad and it's been proven by Yao leading US vote getter last year that people just want to be entertained.

The All-Star weekend itself is a joke. I want to see Labron against the best of the best as he's exceeded expectations so far.

15. jshabang

jshabang Member

Actually......Shaq hasn't exactly tore up the league this year either........there yearly totals are very comparable....shaqs numbers are only slightly better....plus he's "playin hurt" in LA LA land............

If you ask me Shaq or YAO both are not deserving of it.......Brad Miller is out playin them alll............Go figure that out:confused: :eek: :confused:

16. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Actually, if he makes the All Star game.. he can't play in the Rookie-Sophomore game. This is what happen last year as well.

17. New Jack

New Jack Member

I'm actually looking very forward to Yao being at the all-star game. There are so many people here that seem to think Yao will turn into this unstoppable monster if he had the chance to play with Steve Nash or Gary Payton. Well, here is the chance to see just how well Yao would do playing with them.

18. shawn786

shawn786 Member

He knows that he's saying if he donst make the all star team this is what will happien

19. silvercatt

centers rarely play well in the allstars game.

20. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

And people say I say crazy things. That's a ridiculous thing to say. The all-star game is a playground game and is just for show. How Yao plays with great point guards such as Nash in that game is in no way indicative of how they'll play with him in the confines of a regular season game.