1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao on CNN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockingsoul, Jul 17, 2004.

Tags:
  1. rockingsoul

rockingsoul Contributing Member

I just saw Yao being interviewed in English on CNN, but I was also watching the end sequence of a long RPG game. Trying to watch CNN and game at the same time, and missed both. :( :( Anybody else saw it and what did Yao say? I only remember him saying "new ways.. new something", thanks

2. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

sorry didnt see it, but do we know if YAO will drop Colin this year talk by himself like we all know he can and did on CNN?

3. daRox

daRox Member

I caught a glimpse of it, too. Anyone got what he said?

4. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

Nope, Colin is coming back at the request of Yao and JVG.

5. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It'll probably be good to still have him there for game situations. Will he be speaking to the media in English?

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I don't know why. Now is the right time for Yao to speak for himself. He's shown that he doesn't actually need Colin to do interviews. Yeah, I know it's a buffer against the media, but he's got to deal with that eventually.

7. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

Lucky b*stard, Yao can speak english fine by himself. What the heck is Colin's job title? Butler? Road Posse? Entourage?

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Who the hell cares if he keeps his interpreter around? People around here form opinions about the dumbest things. You guys act like Colin Pine's salary counts against the cap or something.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Glad to hear Colin still has a job! Can't they use him on the Rockets in some other way?

I'm sure Colin also helps out with contacts to Chinese media, etc.

10. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Breaking News

Colin is our new starting PG this yr !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. supastevefoo

supastevefoo Member

coline pine is a poor mans bentley farnsworth. :p

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They are just showing something on CNN International. It's really about Del Harris. Yao said, in surprisingly good English: "It's something like my rookie season in the NBA, right? It's also kind of a "rookie coach season" for Del Harris with the Chinese national team."

13. brasss

brasss Member

colin pine should go. that guy is a mooch in more ways than one. his services are no longer needed.

14. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Yao's english is good but it isn't THAT good, Colin is still needed, especially for the media.

15. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

I wouldn't get rid of Colin until Yao is completely fomfotable with articulating on matters of all topics, not just basketball.

16. daNasty

daNasty Member

The only reason to keep Colin around is to help Yao speed up his English. Colin is the one been helping Yao out with his English. Yao English isn't that good yet. Come on people use some common sense.

17. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

Colin's role as an interpreter is probably going to be dialed back. I suspect he'll only be on road trips to San Francisco, New York, LA, and Seattle - and probably do more work for the Rockets. At least that's my guess.

Colin's role changed completely from year 1 to 2 (from being at Yao's side, to being there only when media was around) - so it would probably change from years 2 to 3 as well.

18. rvpals

rvpals Member

LOL.:D

That's so funny!

19. hjg877

hjg877 Member

I'd imagine Colin having something to do with the Rockets or the NBA in the near future for a while. He's (well, not really well) known around the NBA, so I don't see why he wouldn't get a job in the league.

If I were to guess or hypothesize what Colin would be doing after being Yao's little man, I think he would either be hired by the Rockets as an 'ambassador' to the Houston Chinese community or China. Since he was a document translator before his current job, maybe he would work with Rockets.com, but then again, they already have one for the website.

But I think thatm since he is a northeastern guy, he would end up somewhere like NYC working at the NBA headquarters in some similar fashion as I mentioned. Maybe his official status would be 'consultant' or maybe he would translate stuff. I think his translation days (documents and webmastering specifically) are behind him, and since he is somewhat known, he might as well find something better while he can.

Of course, why are we giving so much attention to Colin freaking Pine?!?!

20. Raven

Raven Member

:D :) ;) :rolleyes: