1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming's Vote of Confidence in TMAC and Veto Garnett

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Mar 28, 2006.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Intersting article from yesterday's sina.com.

What do you guys think??

1. Yao Ming's veto of the idea of Kevin Garnett for TMAC.

2. Yao Ming as the Go-To-Guy in offense instead of TMAC.

2. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

yao ming will never be the go to guy in the closing situation of games because he can't beat anyone off the dribble.

Remember what happened when they tried to go to him at the end of the cleveland game? he couldn't even get the shot off.

He could be the #1 option for 46 minutes or so, but at crunch time tmac is goign to be taking the last shot.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"Well, we don't need a Point Guard." - Steve Francis

Rocket River

4. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Wasn't he tripled teamed on the last possesion? If our role players could be a threat more often, one on one I would give the ball to Yao over anyone on our team (highest field goal shooting and free throw shooter on the Rockets). Thus I think our go to guy could be either Yao or TMac. Why restrict ourselves to one when we have two who are both capable?

-G'day-

5. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

I agree. I've seen him beat lots of guys. But if the entire opposing team can collapse on him because nobody else can make a freaking shot, expecting Yao to hit every Clutch shot is just unrealistic.

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Yao is turning into that dominant center we've wanted ...but I don't think he'll ever be that 4th quarter go-to guy. As somebody said, go-to guys need to be able to create shots off the dribble. Or Yao can draw a triple team and assist an open shooter but I doubt he hits too many game winners himself in his career ...esp in this era of zone defenses.

Prior to zone defenses, Dream wasn't even a close-out guy. Think back of how many last second shots you remember Dream taking! I can't remember any. I remember Horry, Cassel, Drexler, Elie, Maxwell, Smith and Eddie Johnson hitting huge last second shots ...but I don't remember Dream hitting any. I remember Dream's block in the NY series that secured the win, however.

Generally speaking is too easy to double team a center so I don't think centers normally take those kind of shots anyway.

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Hmm...the article reeks of homerism (in this case, Yao Mingism). I like how the writer is trying to make the case for Yao, even though Yao never made the case for himself. But I digress...

The KG part is certainly interesting and worthy of discussion. If Yao says no to KG, then it's no, not much further discussion is required at this point.

8. ty185

ty185 Member

well, on the other hand though, there's no way Yao answers yes or even be ambiguous to the question at this point. If Yao expressed privately to JVG or CD, then I'll agree it's definitely no -- but then that won't be something we will know about. :)

9. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

One reason post players aren't considered as the go to guy is because they are most likely not capable of shooting 3s. Perimeter players have the option of taking either the 2 or 3 pointer.

1. Thus if your team is down by 2 point, you want to have the option to either tie or win the game. Post players can probably only tie the game for you unless he gets fouled after making the shot (less likely).

2. If your team is down 3 points, then you can only rely on the priemter shooter to try and tie the game.

3. If your team is down by 1 point, this is the situation where a post player can shine, but that is only one out of the three scenarios mentioned.

-G'day-

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So Yao can say who is . .and isn't on the team now?

Rocket River
    interesting

11. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

He's our MVP. We're going to be paying him a hefty max until 2011. If there's anyone whose words carry weight personnel-wise on this team right now, it's Yao. Truth is whether he likes it or not, he has become the central figure on this team now -- and it's time for him to stick up for his buddy T-Mac and support him the way T-Mac did for him back when he was everyone's favorite object of derision. To do anything less would be utterly classless and in bad taste.

I think maybe I ought to dig up some of the "trade Yao" threads we've had around here recently...

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Most of the recent posters are missing the point of this article!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Its not who takes the clutch shots, it about who is the leader of our team.
    Of course Tracy Mc grady would take most of the clutch shots as he is the most capable of creating a shot for himself and from any position on the court.
    The article is saying that Yao Ming has now become the most dominent player of the Houston Rockets and by natural progression is about to become its established leader [Lao Da]. This is not an unexpected fact as the Rockets Fans of long standing have been hoping that Yao Ming would eventually become the leader, from the moment of his selection by the team.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Strange
    people CRUCIFIED Steve francis. . . when he made a statement
    "WE DON'T NEED A POINT GUARD "
    When he was our MVP, MAX GUY
    [stranger still . . if his obstinance about not playing 2 guard was not there
    we might have Jay 'big wheel' Williams instead of Yao]

The big thing then was. . players should not speak on personel moves
    they should just sit down . . shut up . .and play

Interesting how the wind has blown in a different direction

Rocket River

14. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

That's just how it is, Rocket River. The same way KG's opinion carries weight in Minnesota, Kobe in LA, Shaq in Miami etc. You can't decide to hide your head in the sand now just because of Steve Francis' long-proven foolishness.

15. robinn

robinn Member

it's hard to imagine a center takes the last second shoot, Obviously, T-Mac are more suitable.

I'd like to talk about how to make Yao and T-Mac a "big couple", rather than who would dominate the team.

16. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Wow, did all the YOFs unite to write this article?

The dude lowblows TMac and takes Rafer's quotes out of context. :mad:

17. Downtown

Downtown Contributing Member

FROM KROSFYAH`S EARLIER POST

"Prior to zone defenses, Dream wasn't even a close-out guy. Think back of how many last second shots you remember Dream taking! I can't remember any. I remember Horry, Cassel, Drexler, Elie, Maxwell, Smith and Eddie Johnson hitting huge last second shots ...but I don't remember Dream hitting any. I remember Dream's block in the NY series that secured the win, however."

Wow, is that ever revisionist history!!! Are you sure you were watching the Houston Rockets??? In his prime, zone or no zone, double-teamed or triple- teamed, Dream was the consummate go to guy not only for the Rockets, but was the go to guy without rival or peer in the entire NBA, except for some guy playing for some team up in Chicago...!!!!!!

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm still a Francis Fan . . I think he will come back and be good

just surprise how hypocritical some folx are

Rocket River

19. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

T-Mac should always look to take the last shot but to be fair, other teams are going to double Yao or Triple him in the closing seconds just because there isn't anyone capable of hitting that shot except maybe Luther Head.

20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Well, as long as Yao keeps playing the way he has and maintains his positive attitude, I have no problem with him making statements about personnel moves. There is no denying that he is our best active player, an all-star, and (arguably) the best center in the league right now.

If Yao starts slacking off, back-talking to the coach, skipping team flights, and sulking, then yes, your analogy to Steve Francis might be appropriate. I like Steve too, but his poor play and even worse attitude were a major reason he lost his mantle as "the franchise" here.