1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming's Feeling About Steve Francis' Return

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 23, 2007.

1. OrangeCountyCA

I didn't understand any of the Chinese writings from that link. But then I scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page. :eek: :eek: :eek:

But on the serious note this thread was a great read.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I believe Larry was 8-9 over the final 17 that year, compared to JVG's 6-11 the following year.

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

And why don't YOU chill and come down from the high horse and give him credit for some of his good qualities?

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The difference is JVG got to the Rockets to the playoffs.

5. TheFreak

Yeah, when the competition was worse. Larry would have done the same.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I vaguely remember that Larry Smith did a really bad job and was screaming at Yao Ming and he did not know how to use Yao Ming properly. I think Yao Ming really disliked Larry Smith.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Great read! Thanks for sharing! I haven't been this pumped up for the NBA in YEARS!!!! :eek: :D

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Woo hooo, back at it again

9. BigAssBear

BigAssBear Member

That was a great read. Thanks.

10. TheFreak

Yao Ming was a rookie who had never been through an NBA training camp. I don't think he could speak English at that point either. What would be the "proper" way to use him at that point?

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't have the stats to prove it, but I believe his performance was better under Rudy T, and he sort of lost his confidence under Larry Smith.

12. TheFreak

Probable. I remember that too. But I was just comparing Larry to JVG. Not sure we're really arguing anything here. :)

13. devin23

devin23 Member

Man, I can see tmac getting jealous from all that affection Yao's giving to SF3 Lao Da. :D

14. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

But as player, I remember Yao did say T-mac was way better than Steve after Yao played with T-mac.

15. devin23

devin23 Member

Yes better play, Yao admited that. But as far as friendship goes, Yao is much closer with Francis than with Tmac.

16. devin23

devin23 Member

Does anyone remember the time when Amare dunked on Yao and started laughing and parading and Francis intervened and pushed Amare, who was so much larger than him? No wonder Yao treats Francis as Lao Da.

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I usually don't like sports articles written in such a "literary" tone (it's sports not shakespear) but this brought a tear to my eye.

Rough translation of the first section:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    If Yao didn't meet Francis in the beginning, he wouldn't be today's Yao Ming. If Francis didn't meet Yao in the beginning, he wouldn't be today's Francis.

Looking back five years, the Francis & Yao's story have some loose ends, some innocense, maybe Yao wont remember everything, but he'll never forget. When he first step on the unfamilar NBA soil, his team's leader, his "Lao DA", his big brother. Maybe this person wasn't the best player in the league, but he is Steve Francis.

It was that kind of story, happening at that point in time, that brings the tremors of the heart. :(

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You missed my SF vs. MJ comparison and several other comments since he signed.

19. devin23

devin23 Member

:eek: Oh man you 've GOTTA translate this for us Pryuen!!! :D

20. LightGear

LightGear New Member

i could translate that if you guys really wanted to... but i never did translate chinese to english before tho... so... don't be laugh at me... :rolleyes: