1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming's bench press work-out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lovethisgametoo, Oct 29, 2002.

Tags:
  1. lovethisgametoo

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2002-10-30/0753342047.shtml

Man, I am very disappointed to read this...Ming can only do 5 times of bench test with two 55-pound dumb bells. That is too bad. I don't think I am strong enough to play NBA but I can easily finish at least 10 times with two 90-lp dumb bells.

He need to hit the weight room really hard!!!

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

That doesn't sound right. I'm assuming 2 55 dumbells is the same as 115lb on the bench. (total) I can do a lot more than 5, and I consider myself pretty weak. I'm also not 22. Hehe.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

sure it wasn't 55 kilograms each? Still pretty weak, but closer to 220 lbs or so of weight.

4. RC Cola

That's what I was thinking. It would make a lot more sense.

5. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Yao will get stronger over time. I'm sure that he can bench more then Keon Clark, and Clark has been pretty successful.

6. heech

heech Contributing Member

I seriously, seriously doubt Yao could bench more than Keon Clark. Have you seen that man's body? I wouldn't be surprised if Keon could bench more than Shaq.

7. mav3434

mav3434 Member

It's a little harder with dumbells than on a bench, so its not the same as far as an lb.-to-lb. equivalency goes, but it still isn't that much for a 300 pounder so its still disapointing

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

As I understand it though, it's quite a bit more difficult to do bench-presses when you have longer arms. A certain amount may seem very little to those of us who have shorter arms, but for someone who has arms that are as long as we are tall, it is a more difficult burden.

9. RC Cola

Dang it. I had a feeling that was true, but said forget it, its the same. I never bench with dumbells, just with the bar. Thanks for the clearing up.

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Yao can get a lot of mass so he can be the center in the league

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The longer arms make a big difference. I'm short and have short arms and I can do 110lb dumbells and been able to bench 300lb in my youth. I know big guys that are a lot stronger than me, but can not do as much just because they have to balance those dumbells on those long arms.

Yao is weak but not as weak as it sounds.

12. mav3434

mav3434 Member

It's not that much harder, its just that you can't "cheat" by shifting the weight around with the bar so its a little harder, based on stuff i've read and my own slight experience.

Longer arms do make a huge difference, but Mybnear Hilario's arms are probably longer and I bet he can do more; part of that is genetics, though, Yao will just have to deal with it. Having a strong base and good footwork is a lot more important than having 24 inch pythons in the NBA,that's why Kareem abdul Jabbar is a hall of famer and Otis Thorpe is not.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I have never been able to do ONE rep. So FIVE seems OK to me, considering that all this strength training is rather new to him!

14. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

Sorry to say but I am dissappointed. Yao should be benching alot more...even a junior varsity point guard to bench more, a strong one that is. The good thing is that hes relatively young and he can get stronger with the right trainer and a proper diet (hes been hitting Mcdonald's with Pine too much). I can't believe the chinese team didn't realize that strength and diet were integral of developing into an athlete. Oh well, I hope they learn from their mistakes.

15. RC Cola

They couldn't even realize how good Yao was, what makes you think they would have know about strength and diet? :D

16. ClockworkOrange

As others stated, benching with dumbells is more difficult than a standard bar bench press. I lift weights and I can tell from experience. Others have also stated the long arms and I have heard a great deal about that as well but I'm not really sure b/c my wingspan is greater than my height, but maybe 2 - 3 inches difference isn't much? But back to the dumbell issue, with that kind of bench press you bring the weight further back almost like a butterfly workout. All in all it takes more work but we already knew he wasn't that strong (upperbody wise).

17. t4651965

t4651965 Member

Why is anyone surprised?? Ming said himself that he has never trained with weights, and has vowed to improve. Does anybody here doubt the character and resolve of Yao Ming? Cut the guy some slack- this journey has just begun.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I like to sit on park benches. Does that count?

19. Sane

Sane Member

Oh My God. DO you guys know what this means?

All this means is that he has even MORE room to improve. Ming needs to loose some "mass" and replace it with some muscle. When his upper body (including arms of course) hardens up, it will help him TREMENDOUSLY in shotblocking and rebounding.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, he has to start somewhere. The guy doesn't have anything up top and I'm guessing we are slowly progressing him to be BUFFED UP!