1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming Vows to Become A Better Leader

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 29, 2006.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Originally, I want to post this to the Official Yao Ming's 2006 Summer Activities thread.

But I guess this warrants a separate discussion thread.

What do you guys think ?

Can Yao Ming become a better leader for the Houston Rockets ?

2. seth66

seth66 Member

first of all, he needs to be more aggressive....

3. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Nah, he just needs to play like he did before he broke his foot. If he starts the season at 25/10, he could easily be scoring in the range of 28-30/12 by the playoffs.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I would guess he is a big time leader on the Chinese team, but here in the US the language barrier was limiting his leadership abilities. By this I mean giving direct detailed instructions during the course of the game on the floor (etc). Now that his English is getting stronger I can really see him coaching on the floor - he is obviously a very intelligent individual. All of this is in addition to having played several years in the NBA gaining confidence with how things work in the US as opposed to the international game.

We saw Yao make a huge step foward after the allstar break last season ~ this will continue with the addition of his team leadership skills. I am curious as to how Tracy will react to this - because I feel that the Rockets will be Yao's team next seaon with Tracy playing the 'second fiddle' (i.e.) Pippin to Jordan role.

--KC

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

LOL. I thought we had seen the last of the most tired, simplistic, knee-jerk argument Yao has ever enountered. I guess some things never go out of style.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why not ignore it and post one of your solid GARM posts instead?

7. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Well said. I think he must have written that post in 2003 but didn't click the button to submit it until tonight.

8. daRox

daRox Member

this sounds like the cliché, "Houston, we have a problem." Annoying, never goes away.

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Thank you Pryuen for this report. Possibly music to my ears! The rockets will take the next big step when this happens.

10. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Seth66

I guess you need to read Yao Ming's interpretation of aggressiveness.

And to rebuke your claim that Yao Ming has to be more aggressive, let me quote Yao Ming's own word, when he responded to similiar questions from reporters/doubters challenging him that he is not yet aggressive enough on court:-

"Do you still doubt and challenge the "aggressiveness" of an elite member of the 20/10 Club ?" :rolleyes:

11. pearlon

pearlon Member

Did anyone else feel a fierce sense of pride when they read this paragraph? This just makes me wanna work harder in what ever I do.

I looked up the book that Yao was reading. If anyone is interested, here is a review of the best seller. It will also be made into a movie supervised by Peter Jackson, maker of Lord of the Rings. Supposed to be the biggest budgeted movie ever made in China.

http://www.newsgd.com/culture/art/200412100074.htm

http://www.china.org.cn/english/features/film/131468.htm

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Hopefully the World Championships will show us that he's still the "new" Yao and that the injury hasn't affected anything. Good to know that he was ahead of schedule on the recovery.

13. linzhihao

linzhihao Member

it all depends on whether he has solved his stamina problem. Last season he got rest during injury, so it's still an unproven issue. :(

14. savethepigs

savethepigs Member

I've defended Yao so many times arguing with other posters in other message boards. I can say that it has been well worth the battle. This man is inspiring to my life. Although I have no personal connections to him, his humbled soul has taken him to new heights. He has matured in the basketball court, as well as in life.

He is a much different man from the one I remember in 2002. Of course, he still has that same attitude, which I can imagine him thinking everyday, "I must remain humble." That my friends, is the reason to his success, in my opinion.

15. linzhihao

linzhihao Member

I have a hunch that TMac needs to be No.1 in the team to play super. otherwise he will lose all his magic talent.
    Besides, Yao's improvement has always been gradually, so I don't see he will take over the team entirely in next season. But I think it's a good thing for both Yao and Rockets.

16. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

that was a nice read, i think it inspires me as well. but think about this, his stats are as of this moment 22/10 with him being more assertive in games. his performance does have to deal with his aggressiveness at times, but his has more than enough bball IQ to play within himself and still post up phenominal stats. still cant stop saying this but i really cant wait till this season unfolds.

17. linzhihao

linzhihao Member

I have the same feeling. In fact, it's Yao who brought me into the NBA/basket ball sport. I used to be a soccer fan, but this summer, when I was watching the world cup final, I wished I could have had a Yao's game instead.

18. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

he was so aggressive that he injured himself. :mad:

19. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

same here dude!!! :D :D :D :D

20. akuma

akuma Member

so much for Yao easing himself into game shape in the WC. he's going to go all out, and the competition is going to know it. they're going to double and triple him and play him very physically and grab him like a bunch of girls. i have to admit that i'm more than just a bit concerned about Yao's foot as it still has a way to go to reach previous bone density and these other countries don't care at all and may even provoke a premature injury. :mad: